• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Announced! (essentially an all-electric Wrangler)

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I’d be interested in your math on this, because it’s the opposite conclusion for me

The HIS in my view:

(1) provides less power than a single Tesla Powerwall

(2) for not a materially significant reduction in price (if including installation etc), probably $8-11K for the HIS vs $12-13K for the TP2

(3) requires the truck to be fully charged, home, and plugged in, to be of max value (but drains your ability to drive and move in a prolonged outage)

(4) most importantly becomes apparently a useless, ugly, and value-less brick should I decide to either sell the Lightning and/or sell my home to anyone without a lightning

the trade-offs above all made sense when it seemed the HIS would be nominal extra charge - but at ‘nearly’ the price of a single power wall it all went tits-up in my eyes
Powerwall 2 spec sheet says it has 13.5kWh with peak output 7kWh and continuous 5kWh. To my knowledge, the lightning can provide 9.6kWh through home back up. The SR battery is 7x more energy than the powerwall, so even if I'm at half charge I'm still at 3x available energy.

We have a second car for getting around, being in the desert I'll sacrifice a little mobility for AC when it's 110 degrees outside.

We bought a large home with the notion that we will be here 10-15 years. I don't mind the investment for that time span. I'd like to think V2G will be more common by then. And I'd rather be able to use my battery back up than it just sit there doing nothing (my solar provides 90% of our energy usage, but no battery means no power during outage).

Without getting into too many details, I figure an equivalent (or even half energy capacity) is half the cost of the truck. That makes the truck a good deal in my mind.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Powerwall 2 spec sheet says it has 13.5kWh with peak output 7kWh and continuous 5kWh. To my knowledge, the lightning can provide 9.6kWh through home back up. The SR battery is 7x more energy than the powerwall, so even if I'm at half charge I'm still at 3x available energy.

We have a second car for getting around, being in the desert I'll sacrifice a little mobility for AC when it's 110 degrees outside.

We bought a large home with the notion that we will be here 10-15 years. I don't mind the investment for that time span. I'd like to think V2G will be more common by then. And I'd rather be able to use my battery back up than it just sit there doing nothing (my solar provides 90% of our energy usage, but no battery means no power during outage).

Without getting into too many details, I figure an equivalent (or even half energy capacity) is half the cost of the truck. That makes the truck a good deal in my mind.
Yeah, but you also have the alternative of hooking up a transfer switch and getting power from the pro power onboard. You don't get quite the same output (7.2kw vs 9.6kw) and it requires a little manual work during an outage (plug in truck and throw switch) but it is a MUCH cheaper setup and compatible with any 240V source (i.e. a generator).

I switched to this option once I saw the cost of the HIS.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, but you also have the alternative of hooking up a transfer switch and getting power from the pro power onboard. You don't get quite the same output (7.2kw vs 9.6kw) and it requires a little manual work during an outage (plug in truck and throw switch) but it is a MUCH cheaper setup and compatible with any 240V source (i.e. a generator).

I switched to this option once I saw the cost of the HIS.
I think saw something about that in another thread. I'm not fully up on all the pro's and con's of it but have it bookmarked to investigate in the future. I really appreciate you guys sharing all this info!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Back on topic, the wagoneer looks interesting. Gotta wonder what the price on these things will be, given the demand for EV's I understand but don't like that they've pulled a 360 on the trend of prices.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
your use case makes some sense, and I’m sure it could for some others as well. (though, I think your assumptions about the truck’s available power for backup are off)

and likewise avoiding some details we didn’t get into the facets of eg, additional power walls being only ~7K/each, being able to themselves convert and condition any existing solar into ongoing power (independent of their pure battery ratings), be adequately charged by that solar, and being able to change the vehicle adequately.

and came to write what someone else already noticed but bares amplification: I’m meeting with an electrician in 13 minutes to finalize install plans for a ~$900 solution (after rebates) providing 7.2kWh to my home via a simple backfeed plug from the Lightning’s propower onboard (and which plug can double as a backfeed for also my gas generator). Hard to quantify exactly, but it feels like >75% of the functionality for approx 1/10th the cost and effort - while also being agnostic to any other vehicle I own in the future

but for your purposes as you research your use case, if I was installing the HIS I would consider investigating whether to ALSO instal a backup plug for backfeeding from the propower onboard. It would seem to be a nominal extra cost to have a redundant way to power the house with the truck in the instance anything with the HIS hardware got junked up

Sorry, back to the thread:

Back on topic, the wagoneer looks interesting. Gotta wonder what the price on these things will be, given the demand for EV's I understand but don't like that they've pulled a 360 on the trend of prices.
Or unless I glazed over it, the glaring absence of any remote claims about battery capacity or range

tomorrow I’d buy a 2dr BEV Jeep Wrangler with as little as 150mi of range; but this announcement seems to be foreclosing that future

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No worries! I'm definitely interested in the backfeed option that is being talked about, just came across those discussions earlier this week and haven't had the time to truly understand what it entails.

On the Jeep news, I didn't see capacity claims but I thought I skimmed through and saw a "target" range of around 400 miles. I would suspect similar efficiency to the Lightning so probably a massive battery. Maybe they are banking on improved battery tech?
Sponsored