• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Makes sense. Avoiding Chicago traffic is always a good thing. I lived there for three years.
100%. Breaks even usually because there’s always going to be a traffic jam going through Chicago. The Rockford way is boring as hell…but I guess so am I at this point! Same same
Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Taking a similar trip this summer except with a travel trailer in tow, starting by charging at Mt Vernon - down south to west of the pan handle. Good to see the route is fine with no trailer!

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I thought I'd add my travels to the other great reports in this forum. I had the opportunity to make the 1,000 mile trip from our home in Northern IL to our second home in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. This was a great test for the truck and for Electrify America charging stations which I used exclusively. I've broken it down by segment below:

Roscoe, IL to Normal, IL
This was the first leg and the one I was most nervous about. I left in 24 degree temps and it had snowed overnight. I left at 5 AM with the truck preconditioned. The first journey was 142 miles so I took it easy, setting Blue Cruise for 68 mph to make sure I would make it in the cold temps and a typical, heavy Illinois farmland crosswind (there's a reason windmills are everywhere here).
Distance: 142 miles
Time: 2 hours 15 mins
State of Charge: 100% to 34%
Temp: 24
Mi/KwH: 1.64
Avg Speed: 63
Charged at Electrify America in Normal, IL. 37 mins to go to 80% SOC in 30 deg temps. 65.5 kw delivered, 109 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00 as still had Ford charging network credit available.

Normal, IL to Effingham, IL
Same as above. Getting warmer as I go South but still only 34 degrees with heavy winds. Feeling better about range, though, so cruised at around 70-72 mph.
Distance: 125 miles
Time: 1 hour 51 mins
State of Charge: 80% to 21%
Temp: 34
Mi/KwH: 1.61
Avg Speed: 67
Charged at Electrify America in Effingham, IL at Firefly Grill. 31 mins to go from 21% to 77% in 34 deg temps. 78 kw delivered, 151 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Effingham, IL to Mt. Vernon, IL
Probably could have planned to skip this spot. 47 degrees now so cruised at around 70-72 mph.
Distance: 66 miles
Time: 1 hour
State of Charge: 77% to 48%
Temp: 47
Mi/KwH: 1.72
Avg Speed: 66
Charged at Electrify America in Mt. Vernon, IL. 21 mins to go from 48% to 78%. 42 kw delivered, 120 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Mt. Vernon, IL to Paducah, KY
Warmer still and feeling relaxed.
Distance: 92 miles
Time: 1 hour 24 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 41%
Temp: 56
Mi/KwH: 1.92!
Charged at Electrify America in Paducah, KY. 22 mins to go from 41% to 78% in 59 deg temps. 51.5 kw delivered, 140 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Paducah, KY to Clarksville, TN
Debated going for it, Paducah to Franklin, TN. There was an accident on 1-24, though, so I went ahead and made a stop for a break. It backfired as this was the first time I had a charging issue and had to move from one charger to another.
Time: 1 hour 22 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 39%
Temp: 52
Mi/KwH: 1.82
Avg Speed: 68
Charged at Electrify America in Clarksville. First charger was only pushing around 70 kw. Waited for a Rivian to leave and moved over to get better charge rate. In total, 42 mins to go from 39% to 78%. 56.14 kw delivered. Ford charging credit is gone. $8.56.

Clarksville, TN to Athens, AL
Pretty congested leg impacted average speed.
Distance: 144 miles
Time: 2 hours 13 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 22%
Mi/KwH: 1.96
Avg Speed: 65
Charged at Electrify America in Athens, AL. 27 mins to go from 22% to 70%. 69 kw delivered, 153 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00 for some reason. I'll take it.

Athens, AL to Alabaster, AL
This ended up being my last leg for the day. Charged and drove to hotel in Prattville, AL.
Distance: 114 miles
Time: 1 hour 45 mins
State of Charge: 70% to 26%
Temp: 63
Charged at Electrify America in Alabaster and had to move stations to find a plug that worked. Charged from 26% to 70% in 34 mins. 59.3 kw delivered. $8.10.

Alabaster, AL to Prattville, AL
Stopping for the night
Distance: 61 miles
Time: 55 mins
State of Charge: 70% to 47%
Temp: 66
Mi/KwH: 1.97

Prattville, AL to Greenville, AL
Up and at em early this next morning. This is my last charging stop before home. Warm morning.
Distance: 48 miles
Time: 45 mins
State of Charge: 45% to 23%
Temp: 64
Mi/KwH: 1.68 (impact of no preconditioning...even on a warm morning)
Charged at Electrify America in Greenville, AL. I need to charge past 80% as I don't yet have a L2 charger here at our Florida house (installing later this week). 45 mins to go from 23% to 87%. 91 kw delivered, 121 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $10.69.

Greenville, AL to Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Mostly highways from here. Really good efficiency.
Distance: 134 miles
Time: 2 hours 23 mins
State of Charge: 87% to 43%
Temp: 75
Mi/KwH: 2.3
Avg Speed: 56

Thoughts:
--Blue Cruise is incredible. I have a lead foot and don't like being passed, much to my wife's chagrin. What I learned from this trip was how much better I felt after letting the truck do the work and taking it easy.
--Pleasantly surprised with EA. Only had two issues and even those were just me trying to move to a different station for faster charge rates.
--I drove and parked, drove and parked for 20 hours and I'm still on 4.1.1. Can't get OTA updates to save my life. Maddening.
--Be prepared for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to ask you about the truck and whether you're concerned it may catch fire. SMDH
--Preconditioning works.
--For reference, had climate control set to 67 or 68 on fan setting 1. Used heated seats early on.
Excellent recap. I have bookmarked for future reference when I get MY Lightning! It's built but on hold.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Thank you for this awesome and detailed write up!
I’m just south of you near Champaign, IL.
Will be taking my first road trip in a couple of weeks to “test out” charging and this is great information. Will hit the same Bloomington one as you just to get my feet wet, and then stopping in Rockford (near you?) to top off before driving to Milwaukee area.
Thanks again!
Sure would be nice to have a DCFC option in Champaign that isn't Tesla/Tesla-only.

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
@MJDore Thanks for the post. I live in Birmingham, AL and vacation down around the 30A area. Charging infrastructure is less than desirable down there. Seaside has some destination chargers that I've used in the past. Hoping charging options change soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Just to put a bow on this…made the same trek back to No. IL yesterday. Same success as the trip down. No charging issues whatsoever. Average temps were slightly warmer so I was able to bump cruise up to 72-74 range and get similar to better efficiency numbers. Last leg from Bloomington to Rockford area was my tightest segment (~145 mi). I left Bloomington at 78% SOC and it was a bit rainy and very windy and temps in low 40s. I took it easy at around 68-70 mph and made it with 10% SOC left. This same leg was my first on the trip down and I was preconditioned at 100% SOC so I was a little anxious about the return.

All in all, well-pleased with the truck. Comfortable, great tech, etc. Only continued frustration is not getting OTA updates but I’m through obsessing over that. And, of course, the modem probs.

OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
@MJDore Thanks for the post. I live in Birmingham, AL and vacation down around the 30A area. Charging infrastructure is less than desirable down there. Seaside has some destination chargers that I've used in the past. Hoping charging options change soon.
Our place is on Blue Mtn Beach. I just installed a NEMA 14-50 so feeling better about it now. I charged to 90% in Greenville on the way down and was able to use mobile charger on standard outlet and at least stay at par in terms of SOC until the 14-50 was installed. But, yeah, desperately need some charging infrastructure down there.

I saw a sign for a Porsche of Destin dealership being built on 98 towards Sandestin. Between that and some of the other dealers maybe it will happen sooner rather than later.

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Our place is on Blue Mtn Beach. I just installed a NEMA 14-50 so feeling better about it now. I charged to 90% in Greenville on the way down and was able to use mobile charger on standard outlet and at least stay at par in terms of SOC until the 14-50 was installed. But, yeah, desperately need some charging infrastructure down there.

I saw a sign for a Porsche of Destin dealership being built on 98 towards Sandestin. Between that and some of the other dealers maybe it will happen sooner rather than later.
We love Blue Mountain Beach and generally stay at the Adagio once or twice a year. Do you have your place in a rental program?
Send me a DM if you do. Always looking for new places to stay and a 14-50 is a huge bonus.

wgatkinson

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I thought I'd add my travels to the other great reports in this forum. I had the opportunity to make the 1,000 mile trip from our home in Northern IL to our second home in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. This was a great test for the truck and for Electrify America charging stations which I used exclusively. I've broken it down by segment below:

Roscoe, IL to Normal, IL
This was the first leg and the one I was most nervous about. I left in 24 degree temps and it had snowed overnight. I left at 5 AM with the truck preconditioned. The first journey was 142 miles so I took it easy, setting Blue Cruise for 68 mph to make sure I would make it in the cold temps and a typical, heavy Illinois farmland crosswind (there's a reason windmills are everywhere here).
Distance: 142 miles
Time: 2 hours 15 mins
State of Charge: 100% to 34%
Temp: 24
Mi/KwH: 1.64
Avg Speed: 63
Charged at Electrify America in Normal, IL. 37 mins to go to 80% SOC in 30 deg temps. 65.5 kw delivered, 109 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00 as still had Ford charging network credit available.

Normal, IL to Effingham, IL
Same as above. Getting warmer as I go South but still only 34 degrees with heavy winds. Feeling better about range, though, so cruised at around 70-72 mph.
Distance: 125 miles
Time: 1 hour 51 mins
State of Charge: 80% to 21%
Temp: 34
Mi/KwH: 1.61
Avg Speed: 67
Charged at Electrify America in Effingham, IL at Firefly Grill. 31 mins to go from 21% to 77% in 34 deg temps. 78 kw delivered, 151 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Effingham, IL to Mt. Vernon, IL
Probably could have planned to skip this spot. 47 degrees now so cruised at around 70-72 mph.
Distance: 66 miles
Time: 1 hour
State of Charge: 77% to 48%
Temp: 47
Mi/KwH: 1.72
Charged at Electrify America in Mt. Vernon, IL. 21 mins to go from 48% to 78%. 42 kw delivered, 120 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Mt. Vernon, IL to Paducah, KY
Warmer still and feeling relaxed.
Time: 1 hour 24 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 41%
Temp: 56
Mi/KwH: 1.92!
Charged at Electrify America in Paducah, KY. 22 mins to go from 41% to 78% in 59 deg temps. 51.5 kw delivered, 140 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00.

Paducah, KY to Clarksville, TN
Debated going for it, Paducah to Franklin, TN. There was an accident on 1-24, though, so I went ahead and made a stop for a break. It backfired as this was the first time I had a charging issue and had to move from one charger to another.
Time: 1 hour 22 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 39%
Mi/KwH: 1.82
Avg Speed: 68
Charged at Electrify America in Clarksville. First charger was only pushing around 70 kw. Waited for a Rivian to leave and moved over to get better charge rate. In total, 42 mins to go from 39% to 78%. 56.14 kw delivered. Ford charging credit is gone. $8.56.

Clarksville, TN to Athens, AL
Pretty congested leg impacted average speed.
Distance: 144 miles
Time: 2 hours 13 mins
State of Charge: 78% to 22%
Charged at Electrify America in Athens, AL. 27 mins to go from 22% to 70%. 69 kw delivered, 153 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $0.00 for some reason. I'll take it.

Athens, AL to Alabaster, AL
This ended up being my last leg for the day. Charged and drove to hotel in Prattville, AL.
Distance: 114 miles
Time: 1 hour 45 mins
State of Charge: 70% to 26%
Temp: 63
Charged at Electrify America in Alabaster and had to move stations to find a plug that worked. Charged from 26% to 70% in 34 mins. 59.3 kw delivered. $8.10.

Alabaster, AL to Prattville, AL
Stopping for the night
Distance: 61 miles
Time: 55 mins
State of Charge: 70% to 47%
Temp: 66
Mi/KwH: 1.97

Prattville, AL to Greenville, AL
Up and at em early this next morning. This is my last charging stop before home. Warm morning.
Distance: 48 miles
Time: 45 mins
State of Charge: 45% to 23%
Temp: 64
Mi/KwH: 1.68 (impact of no preconditioning...even on a warm morning)
Charged at Electrify America in Greenville, AL. I need to charge past 80% as I don't yet have a L2 charger here at our Florida house (installing later this week). 45 mins to go from 23% to 87%. 91 kw delivered, 121 kw avg charge rate. Plug in charge worked with no issues. $10.69.

Greenville, AL to Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Mostly highways from here. Really good efficiency.
Distance: 134 miles
Time: 2 hours 23 mins
State of Charge: 87% to 43%
Temp: 75
Mi/KwH: 2.3
Avg Speed: 56

Thoughts:
--Blue Cruise is incredible. I have a lead foot and don't like being passed, much to my wife's chagrin. What I learned from this trip was how much better I felt after letting the truck do the work and taking it easy.
--Pleasantly surprised with EA. Only had two issues and even those were just me trying to move to a different station for faster charge rates.
--I drove and parked, drove and parked for 20 hours and I'm still on 4.1.1. Can't get OTA updates to save my life. Maddening.
--Be prepared for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to ask you about the truck and whether you're concerned it may catch fire. SMDH
--Preconditioning works.
--For reference, had climate control set to 67 or 68 on fan setting 1. Used heated seats early on.
This is so helpful. Thank you for this!

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I'm surprised your mi/kWh is so low. I wonder if it's an issue with the ERs? I have a standard range, and since just before Christmas until now, I'm averaging 2.0 mi/kWh during the winter (I live in MA). Most of the time it's actually higher than that, save for the really cold days and short trips that bring down the average. And as it gets warmer, I'm getting into the mid-2s and sometimes pushing into the 3s!

Anybody else seeing a difference between SR/ER range performance? Is it the extra weight of the ER battery eating up the performance?

Sponsored

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
So it looks like you are stopping every 90 minutes or so, and charging for 20-30 minutes. How was that overall? That's a lot of frequent stops on a long trip, did you get the feeling like you'd never get there? Or did the frequent stops make it more relaxed and perhaps even not notice how long the entire trip was taking?

OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
I'm surprised your mi/kWh is so low. I wonder if it's an issue with the ERs? I have a standard range, and since just before Christmas until now, I'm averaging 2.0 mi/kWh during the winter (I live in MA). Most of the time it's actually higher than that, save for the really cold days and short trips that bring down the average. And as it gets warmer, I'm getting into the mid-2s and sometimes pushing into the 3s!

Anybody else seeing a difference between SR/ER range performance? Is it the extra weight of the ER battery eating up the performance?
Wind and cold and driving speeds. You're saying you're averaging 2 mi/kWh at 70+ mph in freezing temps? If so, you have a unicorn because I've not seen one other example of that. Are you relying on the truck to calculate? In my prep for the trip, most every video I watched had cold weather, interstate speed driving averages at 1.6 or 1.7.

OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
So it looks like you are stopping every 90 minutes or so, and charging for 20-30 minutes. How was that overall? That's a lot of frequent stops on a long trip, did you get the feeling like you'd never get there? Or did the frequent stops make it more relaxed and perhaps even not notice how long the entire trip was taking?
Was just this way based on the route I took. YMMV if you have more fast charging options. Also charge rates up to 80% are great and fall off a cliff from there so no benefit, time-wise, in going past 80%.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Wind and cold and driving speeds. You're saying you're averaging 2 mi/kWh at 70+ mph in freezing temps? If so, you have a unicorn because I've not seen one other example of that. Are you relying on the truck to calculate? In my prep for the trip, most every video I watched had cold weather, interstate speed driving averages at 1.6 or 1.7.
Yes, this is what I'm saying. When it's in the 10s or 20s, for sure I will drop down to maybe 1.6, but usually I'm close to 2.0. It's averaged 2.1 over the entire winter since Dec 24. Cabin temperature is comfortable at 70 degrees, I typically drive 70 mph when I'm on the highway. I do a LOT of driving at lower speeds in the country roads, maybe 40-50 mph. I also use 1PD, not sure how much that helps or not. Maybe I do have a unicorn, or it's just a combo of the different environmental and driving conditions?

And on a longer trip of 100 miles, in freezing temps, driving on the highway most of the time (maybe average was 50 mph for most of the trip), looking at the actual SoC numbers I managed to get 1.9 mi/kWh for the first leg, and 2.0 for the entire trip as it got a little warmer at the end of the day on the way home.

But as most reviews are of the ER, I'm seriously wondering if the extra weight of the battery is reducing the overall efficiency, and limiting the value of the extra range capacity of the bigger battery?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I do a LOT of driving at lower speeds in the country roads, maybe 40-50 mph. I also use 1PD, not sure how much that helps or not.
That's the answer to your question. Not a unicorn, it's the aerodynamics of rapidly pushing through cold air.
I'm seriously wondering if the extra weight of the battery is reducing the overall efficiency, and limiting the value of the extra range capacity of the bigger battery?
I think most people are observing that weight has much less effect on efficiency than speed.
Sponsored