• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40%

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
My charge logs started to work again after resetting the FCSP and luckily I had 2 charge sessions that added 40%.

Due to the battery size of the Lightning, I would highly recommend getting the higher amp charger. (80 amp Ford Charge Station Pro)

The only issue with the Ford Charger is that is not showing you how many AMPs, Volts, is pulling in real Time.

The Juicebox charger gives you all the stats in real time. For example at 80 amps it should be 19.2kWh but I am getting nowhere close to that. It would be nice to see what is going on similar to the juicebox.

Ford F-150 Lightning 32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40% 0BF01216-29AD-4DB1-8EBD-0DED594B7A1E

Ford F-150 Lightning 32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40% 927E503F-15BB-418F-9FCE-ABA310C7C72A
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Good data!

However, are people really not home for at least 7-8 hours at night?

You say you highly recommend the FCSP, but if people are going to be plugged in for at least 7 hours then your recommendation is causing them to potential spend money they don't need to for their service/install.

If you need to charge fast...an 80amp (19.2kW) won't cut it either. You need DCFC (150kW).

It can be expensive to install the FCSP vs someone that has a 15-40 plug available for 32amp or 40amp. The FCSP forces some to upgrade their service, pay for a new panel upgrade...etc.

Though, I will say, a reason I can see needing the 80amp is if your off-peak electric rates are for a small sliver of time.

Sincerely not trying to be rude, I just get a little confused by posts like this.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Good data!

However, are people really not home for at least 7-8 hours at night?

You say you highly recommend the FCSP, but if people are going to be plugged in for at least 7 hours then your recommendation is causing them to potential spend money they don't need to for their service/install.

If you need to charge fast...an 80amp (19.2kW) won't cut it either. You need DCFC (150kW).

It can be expensive to install the FCSP vs someone that has a 15-40 plug available for 32amp or 40amp. The FCSP forces some to upgrade their service, pay for a new panel upgrade...etc.

Though, I will say, a reason I can see needing the 80amp is if your off-peak electric rates are for a small sliver of time.

Sincerely not trying to be rude, I just get a little confused by posts like this.
Without more contest, you may be right.

I’ve driven EVs since 2016. BMW i3, VW e-golf, Model Ys, and plug-in hybrids Wrangler 4xe.

Everybody will have time to charge at night, but from my experience, you will “forget” to charge one day, or you need to top off the battery because of a trip etc.

The issue with the F150 is battery size and efficiency.

I3 22kWh + egolf 32 + Model Y 75 + wrangler 15 which adds to 144kWh compared to the 131kWh of the F150.

I used to get 4.0 miles per kWh (even 5 sometimes) with the i3 and e-golf.

So for example charging the 33kWh of the egolf would take about 4.5 to 5 hours and give close to 132 miles of range. In the lightning, assuming same charging efficiency, it takes the same time, but it only gives me 66 miles. This is on a 32 amp charger.

If you had to charge 80% overnight, it could take 15-16 hours vs 6hours. You may say that that does not happen a lot, but when it happens it is a PIA.

Based on the cost of the the truck, the cost of installing a FCSP should not be an issue. People spend 3-4k on new wheel and tires, but then complain about 1-2k for the charger. Just consider it an accessory then.

Also when the temperature is low and you try to precondition the car, the 32amp charger may not be enough to keep up with with the potential demand of keeping the SoC and heating the cabin and the battery.

So yes, you may not needed, but you’d be happy if you had it. Again this is just from the convenience side. You already spent more than what you needed to if you bought the Lightning( unless you got a pro with the original price: the bean counters or some one made a mistake with that one)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Without more contest, you may be right.

I’ve driven EVs since 2016. BMW i3, VW e-golf, Model Ys, and plug-in hybrids Wrangler 4xe.

Everybody will have time to charge at night, but from my experience, you will “forget” to charge one day, or you need to top off the battery because of a trip etc.

The issue with the F150 is battery size and efficiency.

I3 22kWh + egolf 32 + Model Y 75 + wrangler 15 which adds to 144kWh compared to the 131kWh of the F150.

I used to get 4.0 miles per kWh (even 5 sometimes) with the i3 and e-golf.

So for example charging the 33kWh of the egolf would take about 4.5 to 5 hours and give close to 132 miles of range. In the lightning, assuming same charging efficiency, it takes the same time, but it only gives me 66 miles. This is on a 32 amp charger.

If you had to charge 80% overnight, it could take 15-16 hours vs 6hours. You may say that that does not happen a lot, but when it happens it is a PIA.

Based on the cost of the the truck, the cost of installing a FCSP should not be an issue. People spend 3-4k on new wheel and tires, but then complain about 1-2k for the charger. Just consider it an accessory then.

Also when the temperature is low and you try to precondition the car, the 32amp charger may not be enough to keep up with with the potential demand of keeping the SoC and heating the cabin and the battery.

So yes, you may not needed, but you’d be happy if you had it. Again this is just from the convenience side. You already spent more than what you needed to if you bought the Lightning( unless you got a pro with the original price: the bean counters or some one made a mistake with that one)
I can see the benefit of an 80A EVSE at home, even though my FSCP is only set up to run at 48A. That said, I would not recommend the FSCP and only used mine because it was "free" with the truck. The build quality is shoddy and mine has already failed out after ~6.5 weeks.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
For example at 80 amps it should be 19.2kWh but I am getting nowhere close to that.
I have never seen anybody report the full 80 amps being delivered with the FCSP. The best I've seen is around 17.5kW. And if you want any sort of information, get yourself an Emporia Vue2 to monitor it.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/coll...s/gen-2-emporia-vue-whole-home-energy-monitor

This is my charge session last night. For some reason, the FCSP ignored my 54 amp limit I set and went the full 80.

Ford F-150 Lightning 32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40% Screenshot_20221221-072600_Emporia Energy

Sponsored
OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I can see the benefit of an 80A EVSE at home, even though my FSCP is only set up to run at 48A. That said, I would not recommend the FSCP and only used mine because it was "free" with the truck. The build quality is shoddy and mine has already failed out after ~6.5 weeks.
yes my other assumption is that it came with the car. I just had mine sitting on the garage for no reason.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I have never seen anybody report the full 80 amps being delivered with the FCSP. The best I've seen is around 17.5kW. And if you want any sort of information, get yourself an Emporia Vue2 to monitor it.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/coll...s/gen-2-emporia-vue-whole-home-energy-monitor

This is my charge session last night. For some reason, the FCSP ignored my 54 amp limit I set and went the full 80.

Screenshot_20221221-072600_Emporia Energy.jpg
thanks! I am going to look into it. The one you sent me seems easy to install. The ones I was looking at required a 240 breaker to be installed just for the device.

did you use 2awg or 3awg?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
thanks! I am going to look into it. The one you sent me seems easy to install. The ones I was looking at required a 240 breaker to be installed just for the device.

did you use 2awg or 3awg?
2 AWG. I couldn't find 3. I measure 238V at the connections on a 25 foot run.

The Emporia is simple to connect. I also have an Emporia charger for the wife's Mach-E and another home monitor for my main panel. Can't recommend this companies products enough.

Ford F-150 Lightning 32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40% Screenshot_20221203-232423_Gallery

Ford F-150 Lightning 32amp charger vs 80amp charger charging time 40% Screenshot_20221202_224117
Sponsored