• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A hole in the side of the front motor.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Once I had to replace the alternator on my diesel vw beetle. To do so, you had to remove the AC compressor. Apparently I didn't get the top bolt back in tight enough and it came out. The AC compressor busted a large hole in the oil pan. Luckily it was high enough that I didn't lose all the oil but I drove it somewhere close to 100 miles with a massive leak. Left oil all over the parking space at work and my driveway.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Seems like a hit of an oversight. Did the truck know that one of the motors had a problem even if the gauge didn't show a problem.
I checked with the parts depth on the oil temp

I asked the parts depth where the oil temp sensor is located, I was told there is no oil temp sensor . So it sounds like the guage is BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Hmmm, I see where this might be going? Seems like a hit of an oversight. Did the truck know that one of the motors had a problem even if the gauge didn't show a problem.
That's what I think.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Once I had to replace the alternator on my diesel vw beetle. To do so, you had to remove the AC compressor. Apparently I didn't get the top bolt back in tight enough and it came out. The AC compressor busted a large hole in the oil pan. Luckily it was high enough that I didn't lose all the oil but I drove it somewhere close to 100 miles with a massive leak. Left oil all over the parking space at work and my driveway.
Some years ago, a young and broke me was driving to rural Oklahoma for my first duty station and I was in a 88 Crown Vic I had rebuilt myself over the summer. The coolant hose snapped loose when I accelerated onto I35 out of Dallas and I sprayed steam everywhere. I limped it with no coolant to a gas station where I managed to let it cool, refill it, and continued driving.

I still have her, she's survived a lot, but is still there for me. Can't bare to get rid of her, too many memories lol.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Some years ago, a young and broke me was driving to rural Oklahoma for my first duty station and I was in a 88 Crown Vic I had rebuilt myself over the summer. The coolant hose snapped loose when I accelerated onto I35 out of Dallas and I sprayed steam everywhere. I limped it with no coolant to a gas station where I managed to let it cool, refill it, and continued driving.

I still have her, she's survived a lot, but is still there for me. Can't bare to get rid of her, too many memories lol.
First car was a blue one. The lightning hood and interior remind me of it.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
We have two motors and one temp guage?
I never thought of that, ditto for people with a second Long Range Battery.

I'm guess there are multiple temp sensors in the places most likely to get hot, and it reports whichever is highest for the motors and the batteries.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It's a long story.
Thankfully my instinct to read the whole thread before speculating that a rare casting flaw was the cause, unlikely that is the issue at hand :unsure: !!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We have two motors and one temp guage?
"OR" logic would negate the need for separate temp gauges, either unit overheats should indicate the problem is present.

OP
OP

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Thankfully my instinct to read the whole thread before speculating that a rare casting flaw was the cause, unlikely that is the issue at hand :unsure: !!
The motor self destructed on my initial test drive when I went to buy it. The hole story... On the day of purchase I went to the dealer took the truck for a test drive while driving it I heard a noise from the front motor area but the noise went away. After the purchase and getting home the dealer called and said there was a puddle of red fluid on the ground where the truck was parked , he said keep an eye on it. 876 miles later I went back to the service depth and they found the hole. That's the hole story,it goes to show you can drive them without fluid .

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The hole story... On the day of purchase I went to the dealer took the truck for a test drive while driving it I heard a noise from the front motor area but the noise went away.
WOW, back to rare manufacturing defect that presented itself on your test drive, this needs Factory Engineer Analysis once the R&R is completed!

OP
OP

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
WOW, back to rare manufacturing defect that presented itself on your test drive, this needs Factory Engineer Analysis once the R&R is completed!
Yes the engineers are asking questions.

OP
OP

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Question 1: Did Bob forget to install the drain plug again?

Question 2: No? Fill plug?

Question 3: Has anyone even seen Bob lately?
BOBS on vacation.
Sponsored