• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Accelerating on braking?

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE. 2023 F-150 Lightning
This is a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening...

While driving my Lightning I rear-ended a car in front of me coming up to a stop light. I had one-pedal-driving and auto-hold engaged. As I approached the red light, it was clear that the car would not stop in time, so I applied the brakes. At least I thought I applied the break. Either way, as I put my foot down, the car accelerated instead of stopping. There are two possible reasons: 1) I pressed the accelerator pedal instead of the break, or 2) I pressed the break pedal but the car still advanced forward.

Upon hitting the car in front of me, the air bags went off. Given the shock of the moment, it did not occur to me to look and see where my feet were placed. I assume that I pressed the accelerator pedal by mistake, but after driving for over 30 years, it's hard for me to imagine that I pressed the wrong pedal. But maybe I did.

So I'm just putting this out there: has anybody heard of any instances where an F-150 Lightning accelerated upon pressing the break pedal?

BTW, it's amazing how quickly a Lightning can accelerate over just ten feet of distance. :p
Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
And this is precisely why I opted to drive with 2-pedal (after having tried 1-pedal for 4-5 months).
I'm leery of the whole muscle memory thing and chose the better safe than sorry approach.

I know, I know, all of you Nascar drivers never had any problems with one pedal, but I'm but a mere mortal so for me it feels better / safer this way.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
This is a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening...

While driving my Lightning I rear-ended a car in front of me coming up to a stop light. I had one-pedal-driving and auto-hold engaged. As I approached the red light, it was clear that the car would not stop in time, so I applied the brakes. At least I thought I applied the break. Either way, as I put my foot down, the car accelerated instead of stopping. There are two possible reasons: 1) I pressed the accelerator pedal instead of the break, or 2) I pressed the break pedal but the car still advanced forward.

Upon hitting the car in front of me, the air bags went off. Given the shock of the moment, it did not occur to me to look and see where my feet were placed. I assume that I pressed the accelerator pedal by mistake, but after driving for over 30 years, it's hard for me to imagine that I pressed the wrong pedal. But maybe I did.

So I'm just putting this out there: has anybody heard of any instances where an F-150 Lightning accelerated upon pressing the break pedal?

BTW, it's amazing how quickly a Lightning can accelerate over just ten feet of distance. :p
I have experienced the same issue, but luckily was able to correct it prior to a collision. As discussed in the attached link, there is definitely something unusual about the brake and accelerator geometry on the Lightning. You may consider filing a NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-bender-in-lariat-er.17191/page-2#post-348410

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored
OP
OP
horsiedad

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE. 2023 F-150 Lightning
Maybe the Lightning's "black box" recorder can provide data to confirm what actually happened. IIRC, police and insurance companies may be granted access to such data to work out what happened in an accident for legal or insurance purposes:

Yes, Your New Car Has A 'Black Box.' Where's The Off Switch? : All Tech Considered : NPR
I wonder how an individual would get access to this data? I have access to FDRS, but not sure that is going to show me any crash data.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
As discussed in the attached link, there is definitely something unusual about the brake and accelerator geometry on the Lightning.
I submit that it one of the most usual brake and accelerator geometry since it is the same as the ICE model which is routinely the best selling vehicle in the US.

It is hard to admit that we make such "simple" mistakes but it happens. I accidentally floored the accelerator in my last F150 while tending to a kid in the backseat. Luckily it was in park. I couldn't figure out who the jerk was who was revving their engine so loudly. 🤣

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I submit that it one of the most usual brake and accelerator geometry since it is the same as the ICE model which is routinely the best selling vehicle in the US.

It is hard to admit that we make such "simple" mistakes but it happens. I accidentally floored the accelerator in my last F150 while tending to a kid in the backseat. Luckily it was in park. I couldn't figure out who the jerk was who was revving their engine so loudly. 🤣
I drove a 2000 F-150 SVT Lightning for 17 years, and never once had the brake / accelerator problem as described.

Ratherhavefun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
CEO of Seemore and Dolittle

Here’s my experience to your question…
On occasion while in my short driveway (about 23 feet from garage door to sidewalk when backing in and trying to position the truck to the ahhh, that’s just right position, I find myself doing a little back, forward, back, etc… using the one pedal drive option, all while looking into the driver and passenger door mirrors to front, etc… when all of a sudden, someone appears walking on the sidewalk and they catch my eye… I’ve had to move my foot quickly, kind of like to slamming on the brake, (when it was in drive-forward shifter position) obviously trying to prevent a mishap or near-miss when the truck lurches forward probably a couple-few inches or more, but not really that much and I feel like I should be changing my trouser's! I too can’t say if I misplaced my foot on the accelerator or it was on the brake or both in between, but for sure is a scary feeling! There’s a lot of stuff going on when you notice a person relatively close by and you wonder where the frig they came from???
Luckily for me, no accidents, just a sooner laundry day.

McHeel88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E; Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Chief Financial Officer
I have had this happen to me on at least four occasions. Just last night, I was coming down a slight incline and slowed to a stop sign. As I hit the brake, it accelerated into a major highway. I was very lucky that no oncoming traffic was around. The times I have noticed this was when it was raining, so I wonder if it has something to the ABS system error or wet brakes. I was not hard braking when it happened. After I got onto the highway, I pumped the brakes hard a few times to come to a complete stop, and it seems to fix the issue. I have done this each time it did the acceleration error. I plan to call my dealership to have it looked at.

Sponsored

McHeel88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Financial Officer
I have had this happen to me on at least four occasions. Just last night, I was coming down a slight incline and slowed to a stop sign. As I hit the brake, it accelerated into a major highway. I was very lucky that no oncoming traffic was around. The times I have noticed this was when it was raining, so I wonder if it has something to the ABS system error or wet brakes. I was not hard braking when it happened. After I got onto the highway, I pumped the brakes hard a few times to come to a complete stop, and it seems to fix the issue. I have done this each time it did the acceleration error. I plan to call my dealership to have it looked at.
And I know I did not hit the accelerator. It is a lurching kind of acceleration. Stop and go. Over and over. Almost feels like some skidding going on too.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yes. In my decades of driving, living through the Audi and Toyota fiasco I rolled my eyes.

Hundreds of thousands of miles in EVs, cars with pedal setups even more dense than the Lightning and for the first time in my life I hit the brake and the accelerator at the same time, causing the truck to lurch forward.

Luckily I realized it right away and let up and the 1 pedal on the truck is aggressive so I came to a stop again. But man, I can see how that can cause a panic..

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I think a couple of you in this thread should do the right thing and refrain from driving until you can figure out what each of the pedals do by your feet.

I'll apologize when there is a recall issued. Until then, check your floor mats and where your feet are placed. Or call an uber.

McHeel88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Financial Officer
I think some on here should refrain from being jerks and calling people liars. I have driven EVs for years, and I know the difference in pedals. I asked my wife, and she said it did the same with her, but her Mach-e has never had this issue.
Sponsored