• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Air flow on drivers side door vent lackluster?

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
I got my truck in late December, and this is the first time using the AC.

Does anyone else notice a difference in airflow between the left and right upper vents? The AC on the right side has good air movement and will freeze me out unless I angle it away from me, but the door-side vent pressure seems really weak.

If the sun comes in the door window, I cook on that side and freeze on the other.

Almost see like a blockage? This is the first vehicle I have had with this type of issue all others seem to be pretty balanced.
Sponsored

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
Mine acts same way. I turn off "driver focused" in vent settings and the airflow is a little stronger, but not completely balanced from left to right.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Same, one of very few complaints I have is the poor air flow where it's needed. I often have to crank up the A/C, point the right side vent up (so it blows over me) and the left side directly at me.

OP
OP

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Thanks for the feedback, good to know its not something peculiar with my truck only

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Does anyone know if the fan, circulating the air, is upgradeable?

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Does anyone else notice a difference in airflow between the left and right upper vents? The AC on the right side has good air movement and will freeze me out unless I angle it away from me, but the door-side vent pressure seems really weak.

If the sun comes in the door window, I cook on that side and freeze on the other.

Almost see like a blockage? This is the first vehicle I have had with this type of issue all others seem to be pretty balanced.
Hi there! I can look into your Lightning's AC concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Agree - that there is very unequal air flow from the vents. Truly the Auto, even with 3 levels of fan, is a bad implementation. Manual override is pretty much required to get a decent speed. For the number of years we've had to refine auto AC, Ford has found a way to lose their way.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'd like to know who sat in the truck, tried everything out, and said, "Yeah, that's great. Ship it!" Must've been in he winter and he forgot to try the A/C.

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Crazy you posted this…I was just thinking today how horrible the drivers door side vent is!! It’s not even close the front center vents. I feel like I have to crank the AC a crazy amount if the sun is shining in on me. Ive only driven F150s since 2009…never had this issue before.

OG_Ragnar

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 17 C-Max Energi, 15 Flex
Occupation
Nonprofit Administration
My 2023 driver’s side left air vent is weak too. And it exhibits squeakiness in that area, which is easy to hear since the truck is so quiet.

My daughter thinks the rear driver’s side air vent is weak too, but I just got the truck in March and haven’t sat back there yet with the AC on.

Sponsored

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I always just thought this was a Ford thing, my 2017 Ford Fusion was the same way. Center console vents were stronger than the ones closer to the doors.

subseavet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
R&D Engineer
Same issue with my 2023 Lariat ER. The center AC is great, but the driver's side is meh on a good day and terrible if it's hot out. I decided to add IR-rejecting ceramic window tint, and it has made a big difference in keeping the cabin cooler both at start-up and while driving, which has helped a lot. I am sure I get a bit of extra range because the initial AC cooldown isn't as long to get the cabin to a comfortable temperature, but that wasn't my concern when I got the tint. It was the crappy driver's side airflow that was the problem on sunny days.

OP
OP

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking it was either me or an issue with my truck only. :(

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Hi there! I can look into your Lightning's AC concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?
It's every VIN, it's a design flaw which is why all of us are confirming it's weak AF. Just go sit in one and try it yourself. A general recall to upgrade the blower motor and direct more air to the left vent is about the only solution.

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver

yessir. my truck is the same. it got so bad i went to a tint shop and got the best heat blocking ceramic tint they had for all windows including the sun roof it was 1200. A/C is able to keep up now
Sponsored