• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone switch from a Tesla and regret it?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Tesla vehicle "durability" will be an issue for them as long as they have a California assembly plant.

Why?

The labor cost in California is the highest in the world, by a substantial margin. How do you make up for that? You design a vehicle with a focus on minimizing the number of parts/parts to assemble, and the minimum amount of fasteners. What this leads to is a design where you really have fewer parts (and fasteners) then you would really like to have. You can sell it as a "minimalist design", but it's ultimately a company survival choice, and if I was Tesla, would do the exact same thing. The end result is a vehicle which most people perceive as "lower quality", and in reality will not hold up as well over time. It is a good engineering choice for Tesla, as people will still buy their vehicle despite this.

An unintended side effect is Sandy Munro will heap praise on you for your efficient design, but that efficiency does come at the expense of the customer experience.
Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Iā€™m selling my 2022 MY Long Range if anyone is interested. It only has 1298 miles and is in new delivery conditionā€”$66,900. We ordered it when we thought we wouldnā€™t get a chance to convert our Lightning reservation into an order; two weeks later we got to order the truck.
We waited until we had both to compare and decide. We werenā€™t sure if the truckā€™s towing range would meet our needs and we wanted to actually tow with it first.
Now weā€™re selling the Dodge 2500 diesel and the Y. The MY is a great vehicle and the supercharger network is awesome, both will be missed. However, the truck is also a great vehicle and has so much more utility. One thing nobody has mentioned yet in this thread is that the truck is about $70,000 worth of Tesla Powerwalls. Being able to use the truck to tow and haul, and power my camper, my tools, and my house is a level of utility that the Model Y canā€™t match.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
As it turns out, my Y with a tow hitch is a pretty good substitute for my truck needs. A ton of interior room, much more efficient, can tow a 2000 lb GW utility trailer with ease.

Very doubtful I will take delivery of my Lightning order. It's just too expensive for a model that will have a short production run before being replaced by a ground up EV platform.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Iā€™m selling my 2022 MY Long Range if anyone is interested. It only has 1298 miles and is in new delivery conditionā€”$66,900. We ordered it when we thought we wouldnā€™t get a chance to convert our Lightning reservation into an order; two weeks later we got to order the truck.
We waited until we had both to compare and decide. We werenā€™t sure if the truckā€™s towing range would meet our needs and we wanted to actually tow with it first.
Now weā€™re selling the Dodge 2500 diesel and the Y. The MY is a great vehicle and the supercharger network is awesome, both will be missed. However, the truck is also a great vehicle and has so much more utility. One thing nobody has mentioned yet in this thread is that the truck is about $70,000 worth of Tesla Powerwalls. Being able to use the truck to tow and haul, and power my camper, my tools, and my house is a level of utility that the Model Y canā€™t match.

yes, you hit the nail on the head: UTILITY.
.......plus, it's really an 'SUV' on the inside, and comes with MASSIVE storage options, not to mention all of the other uses for the BED, and of course, the ProPOWER 120v and/or 240v output...

I found out the usefulness of this Truck just last night. We towed our 3,000 lb camper to a campground about 72 miles away... had the camper plugged into the ProPOWER for full power while towing it - it's nice to have fridge(s) operating while driving, and fans giving the camper some cool breezes so that you can arrive without stepping into a hot and stuffy camper. The fridge(s)(I have two, an RV fridge, and a Compressor fridge) being powered while traveling is simply a game changer.
But, here's the kicker: We arrived at our site, set up, unhooked, leveled, and plugged in. But, the power pedestal, which has all three outlet options, kicked off after a few minutes. It wasn't the power pedestal breakers that tripped, that would have been an easy fix. It was an 'up stream' MASTER 100amp breaker that tripped, a ways up the street, in a LOCKED cabinet. It was after hours, and although a park officer stopped by to help, he also had no key to unlock it.

So, I used a 20amp extension cord, along with a 30amp to 20amp adapter, and plugged the trailer into the truck, again, just like while I was towing it. Had POWER all night long. Even ran the overhead air conditioner for a while.
This morning, early, a crew stopped by and opened the cabinet, and yes, the main breaker for this site was tripped.
I didn't tell them that it probably happened when I plugged in my truck to charge : )

After they left, I adjusted my truck EVSE charger down to 16amps, from 30amps, and charging has been no issue ever since. : )

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
yes, you hit the nail on the head: UTILITY.
.......plus, it's really an 'SUV' on the inside, and comes with MASSIVE storage options, not to mention all of the other uses for the BED, and of course, the ProPOWER 120v and/or 240v output...

I found out the usefulness of this Truck just last night. We towed our 3,000 lb camper to a campground about 72 miles away... had the camper plugged into the ProPOWER for full power while towing it - it's nice to have fridge(s) operating while driving, and fans giving the camper some cool breezes so that you can arrive without stepping into a hot and stuffy camper. The fridge(s)(I have two, an RV fridge, and a Compressor fridge) being powered while traveling is simply a game changer.
But, here's the kicker: We arrived at our site, set up, unhooked, leveled, and plugged in. But, the power pedestal, which has all three outlet options, kicked off after a few minutes. It wasn't the power pedestal breakers that tripped, that would have been an easy fix. It was an 'up stream' MASTER 100amp breaker that tripped, a ways up the street, in a LOCKED cabinet. It was after hours, and although a park officer stopped by to help, he also had no key to unlock it.

So, I used a 20amp extension cord, along with a 30amp to 20amp adapter, and plugged the trailer into the truck, again, just like while I was towing it. Had POWER all night long. Even ran the overhead air conditioner for a while.
This morning, early, a crew stopped by and opened the cabinet, and yes, the main breaker for this site was tripped.
I didn't tell them that it probably happened when I plugged in my truck to charge : )

After they left, I adjusted my truck EVSE charger down to 16amps, from 30amps, and charging has been no issue ever since. : )
What charger are you using that lets you control the draw? (The fact that you can't control draw from the truck itself is really stupid FORD!)

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Soon your Tesla's charging network could be the same as the Lightning's...

White House Statement regarding supposed agreements with Tesla:

ā€œTesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable [other] EV drivers in North America to use Superchargers.ā€œ

Link to quote
Yeah, it would catch up soon.

Just hope industry can work out a way that the chargers would communicate with the trucks directly. so we don't need to install multiple apps and register and type in credit cards. It is so stupid when technologies are readily and widely available.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Yes powerwall is a GREAT feature!

As long as the charging network is catching up, I won't admire the software on a Tesla.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
As it turns out, my Y with a tow hitch is a pretty good substitute for my truck needs. A ton of interior room, much more efficient, can tow a 2000 lb GW utility trailer with ease.

Very doubtful I will take delivery of my Lightning order. It's just too expensive for a model that will have a short production run before being replaced by a ground up EV platform.
My camper weighs about 7300 lbs, so the Y wouldnā€™t be able to handle it without serious modifications, but I agree that the Model Y is a great option for many use cases. I just wanted something that could replace my loud, obnoxious beast of a truck (although the diesel was the best option prior to the Lightning, and it still is if you need to cover long distances fast).

dpause

First Name
Dpause
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Ford F-150 Lightning
I currently have a model Y, came from a tundra, love it but miss the functionality of truck. I just ordered my lightning and plan to sell the Y but Iā€™m hoping I donā€™t regret it. Biggest concern is the charging network, itā€™s nonexistent for any other EV, the tech concerns me as well but that can be more subjective.
5 year 100k mile Tesla owner (M3 then upgraded to MY) received F150 Lightning Lariat 45 days ago. We traded in minivan and kept Model Y.
Your concern on charging network may not be as big a deal as you think. My Model Y ALWAYS exaggerates the miles it has. 100% is billed as 310 miles but it really is more like 220-240 on real road trips. Iā€™m always doing the mileage math in my head on road trips. So far F150 is much closer to 300 miles promised, solid 280 miles for sure and I think I can squeeze more setting cruise at 77mph as opposed to 82mph. That extra 60-80 miles gives a lot more forgiveness on need of a charger.
With that said, the Tesla Supercharger network is superior. Not just number of chargers but speed at which the Tesla is able to charge. F150ā€™s bigger battery will take you farther between needed chargers but it will also take longer when you do need to charge.
For me, I have a boat but lake we use is only 120 miles round trip. Other than that I donā€™t think Iā€™ll need a truck for many if any long distance road trips over 300 miles. With the extra range I just wonā€™t have a need for the charger network. If I do need it it will only be for the odd occasion maybe 1-2 days a year, I can live with that. When we do go on a trip requiring a charge Iā€™ll choose more stops with the Tesla over Ford solely because of Teslaā€™s network reliability.
Hope this helps. In my Lightning hereā€™s what I miss. Teslaā€˜s smooth user interface (but I expected that), map is a step down, app has less features. Hereā€™s what I like better, itā€™s a truck able to do truck stuff, tons of room, tons of storage, on Board outlets are great, bigger battery = more range. Really happy with it so far.

the2ndday

First Name
Jung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat
Where are you located in?

Sponsored

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Yes, sort of kind of? They are two different beasts, I love the utility of the truck, but Tesla has it together when it comes to seamless integration of the in car systems, where as Ford's SYNC seems to be slapped together, and just barely working. BlueCruise is AWESOME, except for nags. Tesla's nags are more subtle, and in my opinion safer(I spent more time dealing with alerts from the system then I do driving! ) And the "Start" button? What? Why?

Sorry, back to the OP's original question - I don't really "regret" it, but I wish Ford's next F-150 keeps the mechanical reliability, but ditches the Driver interface for something "simpler" and more comprehensive.

My charging experiences have been mixed - some unexpected failures on the blue-oval network. Never a problem on the Tesla network - Glad ford will be handing out NACS adapters soon, so that problem will go away.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN