• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone switch from a Tesla and regret it?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Since the FCSP does not actually DC charge on the CCS1 would the J1772 to Tesla adapter fit/work with the top portion of the CCS1?
Not without some small physical modifications. @FlasherZ has done it.
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
We still have our MYP and the Lightning would not replace it. MYP is our road-trip car, Superchargers and autopilot combine to give the best road-trip car in that price range IMO. The Lightning is mostly our local runabout and used for actually hauling things.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I donā€™t regret it. I was just reading over on the Tesla forums that they are updating radar Teslaā€™s with new software that disables radar and makes them vision only.
This is true - at least for cars that had radar. The FSD beta software disabled the radar and it made basic cruise unusable in the evening on 2-lane roads because the car would keep slamming on the brakes. The FSD team wouldn't even respond, much less acknowledge the problem. They have made it better, but for a couple of months it was miserable.

And my opinion is that if you have a radar, you should use it. Elon's argument is "humans don't have radar and they work just fine", which eats into his argument that computers can do it better... I just don't agree with him on that point.

I have a Model X and have had my ER Lariat for a month and have driven over 1400 miles. If I had to chose I would pick to keep my Lightning.
Nearly the same (1650 miles on my Lariat). My wife and I had a Model S and a Model X. We were the 4th delivery of a Model S in the St. Louis area and our Model X was the very first delivered in St. Louis, it currently has 165,000 miles on it, and we still absolutely love it. The St. Louis and Kansas City service centers have been wonderful - everyone on the coasts complain about Tesla service, but we've had nothing but wonderful experiences.

I traded the Model S for the Lightning, for the utility value. I was able to eliminate my 2007 Ford F-250 and my 2018 Model S and replace with a single vehicle.

The Model S drives so much better than the Lightning - but that's not the point. The Lightning has specific utility value that the Model S or Model X doesn't have. If Tesla ever gets its shit together and releases a truck that doesn't look like a second grader designed it, I would have to consider it seriously. But that's not coming any time soon and so I don't have to worry about that decision.

In regards to charging. I have found there to be more than enough chargers for the Lightning. But as with a Teslas where you live or are is the biggest factor in charger availability.
Our family will still travel in the Model X. It has free supercharging for life, my family of 6 is a tight fit - but it works - and the charging network is 7 years ahead of what we have with EA & its ilk.

Not without some small physical modifications. @FlasherZ has done it.
Yes, I had to take a Dremel tool to cut a section of the J1772 adapter's ring on the bottom. The average user probably isn't going to go to that, but it works.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Yes, I had to take a Dremel tool to cut a section of the J1772 adapter's ring on the bottom. The average user probably isn't going to go to that, but it works.
I have some time since I haven't converted my reservation to order yet. However I am looking at the options and planning out my charging infrastructure in the garage.

I have a Dremel and we are keeping the Model 3. Did you mod the adapter that came with the Tesla or did you buy an 80A adapter.

Will the Tesla draw the full 80A when charging or what has been your max draw?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I have some time since I haven't converted my reservation to order yet. However I am looking at the options and planning out my charging infrastructure in the garage.

I have a Dremel and we are keeping the Model 3. Did you mod the adapter that came with the Tesla or did you buy an 80A adapter.

Will the Tesla draw the full 80A when charging or what has been your max draw?
I have collected J1772 adapters over time, I had 4 of them - so I used an extra one I had lying around.

Different Tesla cars have different charging configurations... Model 3/Y can generally only charge at 48A. Model S can charge at 40, 80, 48, or 72 amps, depending upon which generation charger is present and whether high-power charging options were purchased.

The 2012 Model S had dual chargers and charged at 80A. The 2016 & 2018 Model S, and the 2016 Signature Model X all charged at 72A (an option called "high-power charging") due to a change in the charging hardware (3x24A vs. 1x or 2x single-phase 40A).

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Teslaā€™s secret sauce seems to be the ease of use with proper software integration. Nobody wants to use multiple apps on their phones to find a charger.

- Does Lightning route you to the fastest available charger on your route while preconditioning the battery for fastest charge time

- does lightning tell you how much you need to charge before you can leave to complete the trip?

- does lightning have an app where you can view your trucks state of charge while youā€™re sitting in Starbucks waiting?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Eager to see more feedback from tesla owners. Took delivery of a Model X in June and Lightning will arrive soon. As both wife and I work from home and won't be back to office probably permanently, one has to go....

The only thing is wife did not drive a full size truck before and says she cannot handle it. I am persuading her to drive daughter's SUV (high school student) which I am actively searching since every dealer runs out of stock. If she agree, model X would go. If not, I will have to let Lightning go. I only put 3000-4000 miles a year due to WFH, no reason to keep both unless we would be back to office.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslaā€™s secret sauce seems to be the ease of use with proper software integration. Nobody wants to use multiple apps on their phones to find a charger.

- Does Lightning route you to the fastest available charger on your route while preconditioning the battery for fastest charge time

- does lightning tell you how much you need to charge before you can leave to complete the trip?

- does lightning have an app where you can view your trucks state of charge while youā€™re sitting in Starbucks waiting?
- No
- I think so.
- Yes.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
well ford needs to change all those to answers to YES asap.
Meh! Its a truck. I have over 9,000 highway miles on it over 50 DCFC charges and have never needed to know any of this. In the short run this is a meaningless approach to travel.

Seriously, no one wants to plan how to get a charger....

Its getting to the point with CCS that you really don't need to plan too much. The intervals near my city are down to 25 miles in about half the directions and going to get more dense every year. Get on the road see where the next one is, stop get a charge and drive on....

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Meh! Its a truck. I have over 9,000 highway miles on it over 50 DCFC charges and have never needed to know any of this. In the short run this is a meaningless approach to travel.

Its getting to the point with CCS that you really don't need to plan too much. The intervals near my city are down to 25 miles in about half the directions and going to get more dense every year. Get on the road see where the next one is, stop get a charge and drive on....
This is very region dependent. Some areas are 100+ miles between CCS chargers and some have none at all.

Reactions: GDN

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500

Its getting to the point with CCS that you really don't need to plan too much. Get on the road see where the next one is, stop get a charge and drive on....
When CCS is everywhere itā€™ll seem redundant but most places around here are still few and far between for fast charging. When I pull into an area to supercharge my Tesla thereā€™s always at least 8 supercharging stalls. CCS here is always between 2 and 4.

for people coming from a Tesla itā€™s just the expectation that charging wonā€™t be an issue.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

My intervals are nowhere near 25 miles - probably 100 - 150.
But when I travel routes Iā€™ve used previously, I already know where Iā€™m going to charge. Just like I knew my favorite gas stations when traveling there by ICE. I may check PlugShare to see if there are any newly reported problems, but not always.
When going someplace new, I plan the route in ABRP, tweak it until Iā€™m satisfied, and plug the next charge stop into the nav.
Once you develop a routine, it becomes routine. šŸ˜€

If my routes had DCFC stations every 50 miles or less, Iā€™d just drive.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
for people coming from a Tesla itā€™s just the expectation that charging wonā€™t be an issue.
Like I said Meh! It is an issue with TSLA. You have to go where the dang thing tells you to go. For most people this is crazy. I find it ridiculous.

Most people want to drive and stop when they want to stop and not the other way around. True CCS is not there yet but it is the only one that can provide saturation coverage and is getting closer every year. It dang close to the North and West of me. Even to the South and East there are 16-20 new spots opening up with 100 miles of me near high ways. My state tells me they plan to have over 200 on their freeways in 5 years. This would be in the every 10 miles range.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Itā€™s going to suck when I go here, when itā€™s cold, and no chargers to be found. The only one listed there is for a hotel and Iā€™m not staying there.
Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone switch from a Tesla and regret it? C2DACEAB-9B13-474F-A084-6F5EE7E56269
Sponsored