• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone switch from a Tesla and regret it?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I've had four Teslas, traded my '19 Model X in on the Lightning. Very happy to be away from Tesla's dismal service, design flaws, very happy with the upgrade to the Platinum Lightning. Excellent combination of our prior MX and '21 Powerboost King Ranch. Would like longer bed, more towing range, will cope. IMO it is the best EV compromise available today.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Last should be no - the app's state of charge status is not real time like Tesla.
For the Mach-e, if you pull down to refresh it gives you the real time charge status.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Last should be no - the app's state of charge status is not real time like Tesla.
When DCFCing, I find it close enough for knowing I’m approaching my target so I can head to the vehicle. I really don’t care if it’s real time.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
When DCFCing, I find it close enough for knowing I’m approaching my target so I can head to the vehicle. I really don’t care if it’s real time.
It is close when refreshed, but the connection through Ford's servers is delayed, can be 15-20 minutes - with Tesla it is absolute real-time.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
I've had four Teslas, traded my '19 Model X in on the Lightning. Very happy to be away from Tesla's dismal service, design flaws, very happy with the upgrade to the Platinum Lightning. Excellent combination of our prior MX and '21 Powerboost King Ranch. Would like longer bed, more towing range, will cope. IMO it is the best EV compromise available today.
It's a shame how bad the service has gotten. In 2016, I was bragging to friends that the SC drove my car 1 1/2 hours to me, free of charge, after a service which was also free of charge. I was returning from a business trip and had mentioned to the SC (via a direct line that I could call whenever I needed to) that I had to catch an uber from the airport to them, and that I probably wouldn't make it before they closed. Their response was volunteering to bring my car to me instead.

The other day, I got charged $100 to reschedule a service appointment.

I think things really started going downhill when the M3 came out, and the SCs no longer had the staffing to deal with the surge of new owners.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It's a shame how bad the service has gotten. In 2016, I was bragging to friends that the SC drove my car 1 1/2 hours to me, free of charge, after a service which was also free of charge. I was returning from a business trip and had mentioned to the SC (via a direct line that I could call whenever I needed to) that I had to catch an uber from the airport to them, and that I probably wouldn't make it before they closed. Their response was volunteering to bring my car to me instead.

The other day, I got charged $100 to reschedule a service appointment.

I think things really started going downhill when the M3 came out, and the SCs no longer had the staffing to deal with the surge of new owners.
I had Tesla #2609 in 2012, service was amazing - they would flatbed a loaner to me 195 miles from the nearest service center, leave it, take my MS, repair it, and reverse. Lots of issues with that car, but not one down day from my perspective. And it always got better. Same with my 2015 P85D. I've loved the cars, but the company has no one home anymore, UBER credits for loaners. Absurd at the price points commanded for MS and MX. I get that the MY and M3 may be a different animal, but then sell and service in a different division. When Ford is clearly a better service provider, it's sad commentary.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
When Ford is clearly a better service provider, it's sad commentary.
Lets wait till some of these trucks end up in shops before claiming that. Most dealers seem to have no clue how to work on EVs and the number of times I have read "fly an engineer in from Michigan" is too damn many. Ford dealers will atleast have loaners unlike the Uber credit shit Tesla is doing.

I will also admit that the Ford Warranty via Granger is fantastically priced and really sad how little Tesla stands behind their product in terms of warranty.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
At least you can talk to a person when you take your Ford in to service it.

Tesla service also now automatically schedules you at various service centers "in your area." My closest one is about 25 minutes away, but during my last service they punted me to another SC that was 45 minutes away. Still had to wait 3 weeks to get the car in.

With Ford, I have SIX (!) dealers that are closer than my closest Tesla SC.

Since service centers aren't revenue streams for under warranty work, Tesla is reluctant to open more SCs. I wonder if that will change once the torrent of Model 3s start to come out of warranty this year and people start paying for service.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
At least you can talk to a person when you take your Ford in to service it.

Tesla service also now automatically schedules you at various service centers "in your area." My closest one is about 25 minutes away, but during my last service they punted me to another SC that was 45 minutes away. Still had to wait 3 weeks to get the car in.

With Ford, I have SIX (!) dealers that are closer than my closest Tesla SC.

Since service centers aren't revenue streams for under warranty work, Tesla is reluctant to open more SCs. I wonder if that will change once the torrent of Model 3s start to come out of warranty this year and people start paying for service.
Eh, I've driven two Teslas that have gone out of warranty. In my experience, the service gets WORSE once you hit the 50,000 mile mark - even at the same SC. It's bizarre.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
It's clear that Tesla experiences are also different depending upon the SC. I've never had any issues with the St. Louis service center (and the customer sat surveys used to bounce back and forth between Kansas City and St. Louis as the best service center nationwide).

True, I did lose (and miss) the porter functionality, especially since I'm 75 minutes from the service center, but they've been able to do more through the mobile service and I've only had to go to the service center twice in the past 3 years for our two cars. And I've always gotten a loaner if it's not same-day service.

I was the #4 delivery of Model S in the STL area, and the #1 delivery of Model X. Our MX has 165,000 miles on it and we don't experience any worse service.

With that said, I've heard horror stories about other service centers, especially in the northeast and in California.

Sponsored

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Insight, 2022 Lightning Lariat LR
Occupation
Retired; Former Systems Engineer
I had Tesla #2609 in 2012, service was amazing - they would flatbed a loaner to me 195 miles from the nearest service center, leave it, take my MS, repair it, and reverse. Lots of issues with that car, but not one down day from my perspective. And it always got better. Same with my 2015 P85D. I've loved the cars, but the company has no one home anymore, UBER credits for loaners. Absurd at the price points commanded for MS and MX. I get that the MY and M3 may be a different animal, but then sell and service in a different division. When Ford is clearly a better service provider, it's sad commentary.
Same experience here, also Tesla owner in 2012 (one of the first 500), and I agree 100%. Tesla has gone down in service - saw it with our Model 3LRs. I did note that Ford has a home pickup/delivery service that showed up in their extended warranty offer.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
So my use case is the extreme for EV use but I’ve been doing it for almost 4 years now. I live in the Phoenix area and travel weekly to CA for work. The particular stretch on I10 freeway from point to point only has 1 non Tesla DCFC that is basically required by any Ev making the commute as the distance from the closest DCFCs from PHX to Ca towns is a whopping 254 miles. For the first time in 4 years a perfect storm hit yesterday. The ONE EA charger that’s between the two cities had 2 stalls out of service. As I arrived to get enough charge to head home from work to find a line of 9 vehicles waiting to charge 9!!! Averaging 30 minutes per charge, that’s a 5hr wait!!! Meanwhile across the street are 34 Tesla supercharger with about a teslas charging. Bummer.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Lets wait till some of these trucks end up in shops before claiming that. Most dealers seem to have no clue how to work on EVs and the number of times I have read "fly an engineer in from Michigan" is too damn many. Ford dealers will atleast have loaners unlike the Uber credit shit Tesla is doing.

I will also admit that the Ford Warranty via Granger is fantastically priced and really sad how little Tesla stands behind their product in terms of warranty.
My view on this is based on 45 years of owning Ford products - always had at least one while also owning new BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, and a mix of Toyotas & Hondas along the way as family and company vehicles. We have a farm, so always a couple or three trucks. Ford has always been among the best at service and support in my experience - and with the Lightning being their flagship product, I expect nothing less - even if the dealerships lack a bit of direct experience with EVs. My Tesla-owning experience (four over ten years) said that newbie mechanics did just fine with the tech - it's pretty simple by comparison to ICE - and with those, everything is new with each major model upgrade anyway. Not losing any sleep.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I currently have a model Y, came from a tundra, love it but miss the functionality of truck. I just ordered my lightning and plan to sell the Y but I’m hoping I don’t regret it. Biggest concern is the charging network, it’s nonexistent for any other EV, the tech concerns me as well but that can be more subjective.
My only concern with Lightning is charging network (location, functionality and charging speed).

The truck itself it superb, I definitely prefer its ride. I have X and the suspension is too stiff, I heard Y is even more stiff.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
My only concern with Lightning is charging network (location, functionality and charging speed).

The truck itself it superb, I definitely prefer its ride. I have X and the suspension is too stiff, I heard Y is even more stiff.
Soon your Tesla's charging network could be the same as the Lightning's...

White House Statement regarding supposed agreements with Tesla:

“Tesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable [other] EV drivers in North America to use Superchargers.“

Link to quote
Sponsored