• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are people signing their No-Resale Policy?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I did not sign a non-resale agreement directly related to the Lightning, but did sign a pre-printed purchase agreement with a generic non-export/resale clause that had been in place since 2013 that is designed to stop the export of new cars for profitable resale. This is based upon the 2013 copyright and form printing dates.

According to a 2013 DOJ press release issued by the US Attorney for the District of New Hampshire, ā€œU.S. Customs laws and regulations, the export of new motor vehicles is prohibited. As a result, most dealerships are contractually prohibited by the manufacturer from selling new automobiles intended for export, and dealerships are required to prevent such sales or suffer financial and other penalties imposed by the manufacturer. One method dealerships often use to ensure the sale of new motor vehicles for domestic use only is a ā€œno-export agreementā€ signed by the purchaser, prohibiting the vehicleā€™s export for a certain period of time.ā€
Sponsored

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Ford merely ā€œsupportsā€ dealers that choose to use a no-sale contract. That is, it is up to the dealers alone as to whether to use the no-sale, and Ford will merely nod its head approvingly if asked whether it is ok.

Months ago, my dealer attempted to have me sign one of these a ROFR contract (below) early in the ordering process. Back then, they didnā€™t ā€œrequireā€ me to sign it only because I pointed out how their contract did not work for a vehicle not yet delivered. At that time, they agreed, but said theyā€™d re-raise for execution it once the vehicle was delivered.

When I eventually took delivery, there was no mention of the ROFR. I didnā€™t ask, either, whether that was a change in policy or instead a mistake on their part.

FYI, for those stating otherwise or wondering: these no-sale and ROGR contracts are enforceable as a matter of law (and while I am not licensed in every state I would be deeply surprised to find enforceability to be otherwise in any U.S. state). Enforceable as a matter of law is a different topic from whether they are practically enforceable. That said, most buyers would self-enforce for fear of litigation. Meanwhile, unless Ford has agreed to pay the dealerā€™s legal costs for enforcement, I donā€™t see dealers being super eager to incur legal fees to claw back money from customer-sellers.

Ford F-150 Lightning Are people signing their No-Resale Policy? E8A332EC-B1C9-4DAF-849D-CE0457F9967F
Ford F-150 Lightning Are people signing their No-Resale Policy? 44E63F13-F9A3-45AF-A4F2-BCDAC7945457
Ford F-150 Lightning Are people signing their No-Resale Policy? 52E106E4-2326-470A-8E39-0FA78567CF91

Last edited:

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I was not asked to sign anything related to resale when I completed my purchase.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Curious if any of this pops up for people that completed checkout online? Would love to get a review of the online checkout process from someone.
Sponsored