• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are the posted Tesla charging prices promo prices?

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Tesla has enabled two supercharging stations here in Utah for use with non-Tesla vehicles.

And the posted charge rates are $.12 a kilowatt hour. The only other level three supercharger in the county, the Electrify America station a couple blocks away, is charging the normal $.36 per kilowatt hour. This is a standard promo price for being a pass plus member. if Tesla is only charging $.12, and they intend on opening most of their locations to non-Tesla vehicles, Electrify America will be out of business in a matter of months.

I dislike Tesla, a dislike mainly due to my interactions with Tesla owners, but this is a no brainer.

10x the locations, 100x the reliability, at 1/3 the price? where is the catch? there must be a catch right?

Ford F-150 Lightning Are the posted Tesla charging prices promo prices? IMG_2968
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I think this is going to be pretty dynamic. In NorCal, Tesla is $.55, EVGO is $.52

Both are the current on peak price.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
I think this is going to be pretty dynamic. In NorCal, Tesla is $.55, EVGO is $.52

Both are the current on peak price.
Interesting, I have never seen dynamic pricing with Electrify America, and they are 90% of my Level3 charging experience. Is dynamic pricing a normal thing in most of the country? I figured EA was 4x home prices all of the time to even things out.

As you might be able to tell, I dont get out on the open road with my Lightning much, but that is in no small part related to my desire to not spend the night on the side of the road because EA is so horrible. If Tesla can charge my Truck, and they charge the same rate or even a small premium as EA prices... this changes things.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Are you sure those are super chargers? On the Tesla app it looks like those are destination chargers.
I am absolutely ignorant enough about Tesla charging options to have no idea how to answer you. I assumed all public Tesla chargers were the same, and until a friend sent me that screenshot an hour or so ago, I couldn't have cared less about learning more... I guess maybe I'll go for a drive.

It is finally warm outside, I might even open the sunroof.

Sponsored

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
A Tesla destination charger is a level 2 charger, so much slower than a DC fast charger like the $.36 Electrify America

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
There are no Superchargers in Utah available to non-Tesla cars at this time. That is a destination charger and the business that is hosting can set the price.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
What you have screenshotted is a destination charger. L2 speeds up to 11kw potentially. I’m assuming whoever installed the chargers are just trying to recoup the cost of their electricity, hence the cheaper charging.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
You can use any destination charger with a proper adapter J1772/Tesla adapter. They are cheap or free. If you travel a bunch, it doesn’t hurt to carry one in your EV. I have had AirBNB’s with Tesla chargers.

Of course, that doesnt help you with Superchargers. Currently, only a handful of “magicdock“ Tesla chargers support CCS vehicles in the United States.

From my experience, EA is often cheaper than Tesla Superchargers. Until the recent release of the CCS adapter, Tesla kept all of their owners in a walled-garden here in the United States.

If Tesla was serious about opening their network, they would offer an adapter cable for CCS cars that would also allow those short supercharger cables to better reach the charging ports on CCS cars. The adapter cable could include the signaling to support a plug n charge style feature. Their “Magic Dock” is an overly complex approach and requires the use of an app.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There’s a supercharger that allows CCS vehicles $0.51/kWh.
Ford F-150 Lightning Are the posted Tesla charging prices promo prices? 8D5B079B-4B42-42D0-86FF-D24AD21AB25A

Here’s a nearby EA site at $0.48…
Ford F-150 Lightning Are the posted Tesla charging prices promo prices? DF1399D8-1410-4A65-BB8E-9938F4CFB353

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am absolutely ignorant enough about Tesla charging options to have no idea how to answer you. I assumed all public Tesla chargers were the same, and until a friend sent me that screenshot an hour or so ago, I couldn't have cared less about learning more... I guess maybe I'll go for a drive.

It is finally warm outside, I might even open the sunroof.
They are not Superchargers, says the words "Destination Charger" in your screenshot. Save your time, don't go there.

Tesla has open 2 locations in CA and around 10 in NY state. That is it so far.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
If Tesla was serious about opening their network, they would offer an adapter cable for CCS cars that would also allow those short supercharger cables to better reach the charging ports on CCS cars. The adapter cable could include the signaling to support a plug n charge style feature. Their “Magic Dock” is an overly complex approach and requires the use of an app.
How are you going to cool this proposed CCS extension cord? Maybe a Model T brand NACS to CCS adapter is possible. I wouldn't hold my breath, they're going to satisfy their own drivers' capacity demands before opening up the whole network.

If you are a product liability attorney advising Tesla, the Magic Dock is an extremely simple approach to keeping complete control of all safety critical equipment from utility power to charging port within Tesla's ecosystem.

Although I think Tesla Plug-n-CCS SuperCharge is unlikely, it's probably not completely impossible to cobble some ISO 15118 into their current hardware. They've already solved a lot harder software/hardware engineering problems. I'd prefer using the Tesla app to struggling with the impossible to maintain ecosystem of credit card/NFC/app payment hardware that EA uses.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How are you going to cool this proposed CCS extension cord? Maybe a Model T brand NACS to CCS adapter is possible. I wouldn't hold my breath, they're going to satisfy their own drivers' capacity demands before opening up the whole network.

If you are a product liability attorney advising Tesla, the Magic Dock is an extremely simple approach to keeping complete control of all safety critical equipment from utility power to charging port within Tesla's ecosystem.

Although I think Tesla Plug-n-CCS SuperCharge is unlikely, it's probably not completely impossible to cobble some ISO 15118 into their current hardware. They've already solved a lot harder software/hardware engineering problems. I'd prefer using the Tesla app to struggling with the impossible to maintain ecosystem of credit card/NFC/app payment hardware that EA uses.
I use Plug-n-Charge, so I am not struggling with anything.
It's not clear that Tesla takes anything seriously other than trying to increase margins on their products. They apparently can't solve parking without parking sensors.

As for Tesla attorneys... LOL
https://electrek.co/2023/04/27/tesla-elon-musk-self-driving-deep-fakes/

Take your Tesla-stan nonsense elsewhere.
Sponsored

Last edited: