• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Yup, time to put away the "400 mile range" talk for good. I bet official EPA range will be under 230/300.
Context is important. It is possible the vehicle guess-o-meter could display something well over 300 miles in the production version. The guess-o-meter does not have to match EPA in any way. This is still an exceptionally large battery pack in comparison to the packs on the road today (don't forget about potential differences that exist between total kWh and usable), so driving conditions may have an outweighed impact on true distance available when compared to the existing EV fleet.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have to believe that with all the 230/300 mile range hype that afore has made sure that the Lightning will reach that range in its official EPA testing. I do not think that Ford is interested in bad press or a repeat of the Ford Fusion Hybrid debacle from the 2013 model year where it had to derate the MPG on the FFH and pay owners $750 per car. I had one of those affected cars.
The 2013 43mpg derate was amusing as an owner of the same drivetrain but in the CMax body.
I was unaware of the "debacle", although my wife was getting about 41mpg in her fancy new fully loaded hybrid.
After she let me drive it a few times and I discovered how the Hybrid worked and began to participate in hybrid-driving, I quickly was able to get 55-63mpg out of it with little effort. It was awesome!
Then I received a check in the mail from Ford with them apologizing for the rating of 43 (or whatever it was)
I thought it hilarious that they were taking a beating for the only car I had ever owned that could EASILY outperform the EPA rating. How ironic.
Later we received a second check. I just shook my head in amazement.

Anyways, have you looked at the gnashing of teeth in the Powerboost mileage threads? Why aren't we all getting checks in the mail? Lol

Consumers are a funny lot.
Hybrids can be driven with ZERO understanding and/or participation from the driver, or they can be heavily influenced by the driver using predictive input that the software can't possibly leverage on its own, and the results are very different for the 2 types of drivers.
One driver will complain about the manufacturers claims, the other will be bragging to everyone about their results.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I have to believe that with all the 230/300 mile range hype that afore has made sure that the Lightning will reach that range in its official EPA testing. I do not think that Ford is interested in bad press or a repeat of the Ford Fusion Hybrid debacle from the 2013 model year where it had to derate the MPG on the FFH and pay owners $750 per car. I had one of those affected cars.
If it doesn't meet the claim I'm sure it will be close, maybe between 290-300. Remember they've been careful to say they are *targeting* 300 not that it *would* be 300.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Context is important. It is possible the vehicle guess-o-meter could display something well over 300 miles in the production version. The guess-o-meter does not have to match EPA in any way. This is still an exceptionally large battery pack in comparison to the packs on the road today (don't forget about potential differences that exist between total kWh and usable), so driving conditions may have an outweighed impact on true distance available when compared to the existing EV fleet.
It's likely to be easy to beat the EPA range but it's far less likely that someone will be able to get close to 400 without some extreme driving techniques.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
My take on Fordsckeptic Scenario:

1. Go ahead and charge to 100% daily because this is not actual 100% SOC of battery pack (there will be buffer unlike Tesla) and home charging will be slow and friendly to the pack.
The buffer is so small that Tesla don't recommend to charge 100% regularly.

2. The truck might hit EPA range at 70mph, and achieve higher than EPA at slower driving. Yet to be determined until drivers can start testing.
98kWh for 230 miles at 70mph is not possible. I doubt it even at 60mph.

7. Getting access to charging at your work, even a 120VAC outlet during coldest periods, can help pre-condition your battery and be more efficient returning home.
The problem is it need to guaranty daily access.

It's easy to say just get the ER, but if you really need to stay at SR I say it might work you just need to be more actively involved in planning. If that is the type of thing that would be an irritation, make another choice. If it is well worth the benefits that come with driving electric or even a little fun, I say give the SR a shot.
It is simply WAY TOO risky unless you don't mind to deal with dead battery occasionally. I highly recommend NOT.

Sponsored

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
It's likely to be easy to beat the EPA range but it's far less likely that someone will be able to get close to 400 without some extreme driving techniques.
This is just wrong. A truck that big and boxy will have a very hard time beating the 230/300 with the announced battery capacity. I think it gets the rated range if you stick to 50-55mph but once you hit 60-65mph it will have a hard time getting 250 on the extended pack. 70mph+ and the range will be tragic.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
The buffer is so small that Tesla don't recommend to charge 100% regularly.

98kWh for 230 miles at 70mph is not possible. I doubt it even at 60mph.
Ehh, let us see the miles per KW before we say that. 2.5/kw around town would be easy. Highway may be harder. I bet the rating will be 210ish. Just like a SR AWD MachE.

Heck. They may shut off one of the motors above a certain speed. Maybe they figured out to lower motor demand and hp output when cruising. Shut off some windings or some such.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
This is just wrong. A truck that big and boxy will have a very hard time beating the 230/300 with the announced battery capacity. I think it gets the rated range if you stick to 50-55mph but once you hit 60-65mph it will have a hard time getting 250 on the extended pack. 70mph+ and the range will be tragic.
I just took a trip from Phoenix to LA and back in my MME. On the AZ side it's about 1/3 65 MPH limit and 2/3 75 MPH. I drove constant 10 miles over limit. After 145 miles to Quartzsite I had 45% SOC left (started at 100%). There is about 300' elevation drop and temp was about 50F. That's range equivalent of 263 miles. Vs EPA range of 270. I'm sure Lightning will do worse when driving at 85, but not tragic.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
I just took a trip from Phoenix to LA and back in my MME. On the AZ side it's about 1/3 65 MPH limit and 2/3 75 MPH. I drove constant 10 miles over limit. After 145 miles to Quartzsite I had 45% SOC left (started at 100%). There is about 300' elevation drop and temp was about 50F. That's range equivalent of 263 miles. Vs EPA range of 270. I'm sure Lightning will do worse when driving at 85, but not tragic.
I fully understand that with the mach E Ford has underpromised and overdelivered for range. The 90kw battery is massive in the Mach E for how small and aerodynamic it is. Compare that to the 98kw battery in the standard Lightning and it won't even come close to the Mach E. I hope ford pulls off a miracle, but in a road trip like yours I would be very surprised if the standard got over 190 miles. Especially when you compare to what the R1T is looking like for efficiency

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I fully understand that with the mach E Ford has underpromised and overdelivered for range. The 90kw battery is massive in the Mach E for how small and aerodynamic it is. Compare that to the 98kw battery in the standard Lightning and it won't even come close to the Mach E. I hope ford pulls off a miracle, but in a road trip like yours I would be very surprised if the standard got over 190 miles. Especially when you compare to what the R1T is looking like for efficiency
The MME battery is 98 kWh. The Lightning range is targeted at 12.5% lower range. At higher speeds (70 MPH+) the Lightning range will be lower than MME, but I don't expect more than 25-30% lower.

Unlike Lariat, Ford has a little bit of experience building trucks (and also EVs).

Personally, I wouldn't use Lightning with SR on road trips. It could be done I think, but barely. And this is keeping in mind that I don't need to drive in cold weather. I'd be going crazy pulling into a charging station with less than 10% SOC.

If you are driving around town only, ER is somewhat of a waste. On road trips it's a necessity.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
If you are driving around town only, ER is somewhat of a waste. On road trips it's a necessity.
Bingo. For me at least.
I've been driving pickups for 50 years and although the REAL reason for the necessity is when I have TRUCK things to do. But most of the time the truck is just doing "car duty".

My intentions for the electric F150 is to run the wheels off of it. Lol
It's going to get ALL the miles of daily life. And it'll even do close-to-home TRUCK duty.

But I will have my other truck, currently a Powerboost, for all missions beyond what the SR F150 can accomplish.

At least that's my present strategy. But I'm well aware that it could be quite some time before a Lightning in the configuration I want will be available, so anything could change. I'll just roll with the punches. Life is good. :)

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Ehh, let us see the miles per KW before we say that. 2.5/kw around town would be easy. Highway may be harder. I bet the rating will be 210ish. Just like a SR AWD MachE.
210 would be more reasonable guess, say 190-200 highway and 230 city, 210 combined.

Given its size and weight, 79 MPGe combined (for 98kWh battery to achieve 230 miles) is not possible. But, Ford can claim that 230 mile target is for city driving.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
They make the claim currently "targeted EPA" so they can't really say city just yet.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
haha..so 10mph over...85mph cruise in AZ?

I should be good then, I go at most 5mph over with a 70mph max limit. Granted there are some hills between NYS and NC....
Sponsored