• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best EVSE for Travel

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Looks that way. Why would I want this as a non-Tesla owner? Is it cheaper? Have features others don't?

It would always require an adapter so that would be frustrating.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Looks that way. Why would I want this as a non-Tesla owner? Is it cheaper? Have features others don't?

It would always require an adapter so that would be frustrating.
The Tesla UMC allows you to plug into different receptacles using different adapters. It will automatically reduce the available current to what is safe for that receptacle. It does require an adapter to use on a J1772, but it's still one of the most flexible, least expensive options. You can also use the Tesla adapter on Tesla destination chargers at hotels and other public places (not superchargers).

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any idea how it knows how to reduce the amperage draw? Does it know based on the adapter you use?

Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The TeslaTap costs almost as much as that!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Any idea how it knows how to reduce the amperage draw? Does it know based on the adapter you use?
[edit: speaking of the Ford Mobile Charger]
yes, and this is the only way it can know. It's also why there is no 120v EVSE that provides more than 12amps of charging - it assumes that you will not be using the 120v adapter for anything other than the normal outlet, or maybe an exterior GFCI 20amp outlet. It assumes that there are other items that may be on that same circuit.

I don't think any EVSE can allow more than the typical 12amps of draw on a 120v outlet since it has no way of knowing if you are adapting 'UP' to a 30amp campground outlet. If you use an extra adapter to do that, it still is going to draw the same amps, unfortunately.
I'm not aware of any EVSE 'adjustable' 120v charger that allows for more amps than 12, but keep looking, just in case - though I think it would be a rare need, since even 30amps at 120v would take a long, long time to charge.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
[edit: speaking of the Ford Mobile Charger]
I don't think any EVSE can allow more than the typical 12amps of draw on a 120v outlet since it has no way of knowing if you are adapting 'UP' to a 30amp campground outlet. If you use an extra adapter to do that, it still is going to draw the same amps, unfortunately.
I'm not aware of any EVSE 'adjustable' 120v charger that allows for more amps than 12, but keep looking, just in case - though I think it would be a rare need, since even 30amps at 120v would take a long, long time to charge.
The Tesla UMC has a 5-20 adapter so you can pull 16 amps @ 120v. There is no TT30 adapter, unfortunately. Best you could do on a TT30 is adapt to 5-20, but it's still going to be slow as hell.

On two recent trips I charged on a 6-20 and a 14-30. Even with 240v I still spent every hour charging. The truck's battery is just yuge.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Tesla Mobile charger max at 32amps. The Ford Mobile charger max at 40amps? is that correct?

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Done. Tesla charger it is, Teslatap here I come
The 5-20 adapter is a nice option to have as well

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I’ve got a stack of Tesla EVSEs Gen 1 and Gen2 and it’s the network I’m most familiar with. So I’ll be using that with a lectron adapter.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Is there anything particularly special about that adapter that I'm missing? Seems like there are quite a few options on Amazon that are $15-30, fakespot reviews seem to be okay for most of them.
The adapter has to be specifically wired for an EV or it will not work with an EVSE.
Sponsored