• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
Sorry this happened so fast for you. When I bought mine last July it was 4 months then a malfunction occurred. Took to the dealer and they had it for 3 weeks to replace a module. Love truck! 18k miles and still rolling. Be patient and get it repaired and you will love it.
Sponsored

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid, Tesla Model X, F150 Lightning
11,000 kms on my truck no issues whatsoever. 2023 Platinum.

I drive it more than my Tesla.

Knightsfan407

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER Lightning, 12/23 blend date
23 Lariet ER with 8k miles, no issues.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Reading through this thread I just realized why Chevrolet started delivering Silverado EV fleet trucks first. There won’t be a bunch of alarmist thread posts on social media forums about vehicle problems.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Man lots of bad information here. Ford and SK Innovation have a real issue with defective battery modules. Read the 23H01 document. This could happen to any of our Lightnings. Even the latest builds (I know of April and May 2023 builds that have it even though Ford claims it's only 1-3-23 and prior builds.

Mine left me stranded 1,200 miles from home for 18 days. Ford is covering all my expenses. This includes my wife's flight home, truck transport, two hotel stays, two car rentals and gas.

That being said the F150 is the best selling truck in the world (Gas version obviously). Ford cannot afford to screw this up. Similar issues with the MachE.

So I am confident that they will eventually figure this out. We may all get new batteries at some point (think Chevy Bolt). I am sure they are diligently working on this issue along with SK Innovation. I do think Ford should be telling their customers more about the problem but that is how big corporations operate.

My dealer did an excellent job of repairing my truck. My confidence in it is shaken but after driving the 2023 gas F150 loaner they gave me I will hang in there. I hated that thing. It's hard to go back to a gas vehicle after driving an EV. Mine goes like a bat out of hell after being fixed and I thought it was fast before.

So In October I will make the same trip and hopefully I don't have any issues.

I am not loyal to Ford or any manufacturer. Ford makes the only full size EV truck that can be purchased right now. I'm not paying 100k for a Tacoma sized Rivian and the Chevy and Rams are years away from being available (unless you have a fleet or want to pay 150k for an RST (I'm assuming the dealer ADM will be huge on it).

Ford has no choice but to get this right or they will be out of the truck EV business when Chevy and Ram get their products out.

So yeah it sucks that your truck faulted on the way home from the dealer but it could have been a lot worse. You will get a loaner while they fix it. The fix is not overly complicated just time consuming to get the parts. My dealer had mine done in a day and a half.

If you return your truck I wouldn't blame you in the least. I will just feel sorry for you that you have to drive a gas truck :p

Please let us know the build date of your truck. It's on a placard on the inside of the driver's door and also on your window sticker. Mine is a June 2022 build.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I strongly suggest anyone taking their Lightning on a road trip have an OBDII module, Car Scanner Pro and know how to use it. That could be the difference between driving it to the closest dealer or having it towed. Car Scanner shows lots of information that will let you know if your battery modules are having an issue as well as clear the fault codes.

Last edited:

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Just calm down, dude. You have experienced one problem. Get it fixed and see what happens. If there are any more problems, then you can be concerned. Until then, you'd be foolish to take action. The dealership will not take the truck back. If you try to sell it you're going to take a huge hit on depreciation. You can't force a lemon buy-back until there are more/longer problems. I bought a McLaren that had several problems in the first three months, but after those were fixed (all under warranty) it was faultless for 9 years. The Lightning is awesome, don't give up on it so easily.
I've driven my 2022 for 6,582 miles and it's been amazing so far, but because of this thread I am going to take it back and return it because my lightning can't be trusted. /s

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I've driven my 2022 for 6,582 miles and it's been amazing so far, but because of this thread I am going to take it back and return it because my lightning can't be trusted. /s
Man here's my out..... Here I was Saturday morning stuck at home because I forgot to charge my truck overnight. This truck definitely isn't ready for the main stream buyers 😆😆😆 I have over 9k miles zero issues other than the price drop after I agreed to the terms of my loan. I hope the issue is corrected swiftly keep the truck you'll love it.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Just went from Maryland to Florida, truck has been great, charging has been far better than I was expecting (especially with the electrify america stations, thought they would all be down and crappy but most of them have been great). Only thing I don't like is that the plug and charge doesn't work with the pass+
Sponsored