• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

powertrain malfunction error

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Have had this show up twice in the past few weeks. I have schedule to take it to the dealer next week. no issues other than the warning saying schedule service soon. Could this be related to the BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE BECM SOFTWARE UPDATE?
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Maybe,maybe not, yes, no.

You could have a multitude of problems, could just be a sensor, could be software, could be a lot of things.

Your Ford ev certified dealer will be able to diagnose.

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff
I would make an appt asap. Had this randomly. Now it stays on and will not charge past 60 percent so only getting about 150 miles. Earliest appt I can get is a week from now. Corp says they pre authorize rentals if you need to drop for battery replacement which I am hearing takes a while.

OP
OP
davehu

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
thanks. we'll find out next thursday

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Have had this show up twice in the past few weeks. I have schedule to take it to the dealer next week. no issues other than the warning saying schedule service soon. Could this be related to the BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE BECM SOFTWARE UPDATE?
Hi there! I can look into your Lightning's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Could this be related to the BATTERY ENERGY CONTROL MODULE BECM SOFTWARE UPDATE?
Did you have the update CSP 23B57 done by the dealer? Not sure if anyone has had it Over The Air (OTA). I think that update was to let folks still drive (without a "Stop Safely Now" message) even though there is a bad battery module. It should still tell us to get to a dealer ASAP.
Are you experiencing Reduced Power as well (showing a less than 100% limit to Power on left side of gauge at Instrument Panel)? See my signature for a spreadsheet of folks having Power Malfunction / Reduced Power problems...most needing a new battery module...but not all.

OP
OP
davehu

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Did you have the update CSP 23B57 done by the dealer? Not sure if anyone has had it Over The Air (OTA). I think that update was to let folks still drive (without a "Stop Safely Now" message) even though there is a bad battery module. It should still tell us to get to a dealer ASAP.
Are you experiencing Reduced Power as well (showing a less than 100% limit to Power on left side of gauge at Instrument Panel)? See my signature for a spreadsheet of folks having Power Malfunction / Reduced Power problems...most needing a new battery module...but not all.
11/30 My truck goes to the dealer tomorrow to have the CSP done. FMC reached out to me also and it following up with the dealer. Although I've seen the message twice, I have no noticed any loss in power. as for the gauge, mine doesn't show power available. I'm still on power up software 4.2.1.2

update 12/1 got "Sparky" back from the dealer. CSP 23B57 software was applied. several other software modules were updated. my power on software apparently wasn't due for an update so I'm still on 4.2.1.2

Last edited:
OP
OP
davehu

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
11/30 My truck goes to the dealer tomorrow to have the CSP done. FMC reached out to me also and it following up with the dealer. Although I've seen the message twice, I have no noticed any loss in power. as for the gauge, mine doesn't show power available. I'm still on power up software 4.2.1.2

update 12/1 got "Sparky" back from the dealer. CSP 23B57 software was applied. several other software modules were updated. my power on software apparently wasn't due for an update so I'm still on 4.2.1.2
12/11 update. got the error message again today. like before no noticeable difference in how the truck behaves. Dealer will pickup tomorrow to check it.
note the after my earlier service visit the tech's notes say the my powertrain message stemmed from a visit to a DC fast charger. He noted that he connected to a DCFC for 5 minutes and the code did not reset. so, I don't know if it's the same problem or a different one. again, dealer will pickup tomorrow and take a look.

OP
OP
davehu

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
12/11 update. got the error message again today. like before no noticeable difference in how the truck behaves. Dealer will pickup tomorrow to check it.
note the after my earlier service visit the tech's notes say the my powertrain message stemmed from a visit to a DC fast charger. He noted that he connected to a DCFC for 5 minutes and the code did not reset. so, I don't know if it's the same problem or a different one. again, dealer will pickup tomorrow and take a look.

OP
OP
davehu

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
it appears that this is a different code than the one thrown off before. Dealer ordered a new "gearshift module". truck was returned to me and notify me when the part arrives. It still runs normal so ho-hum. thankfully, as I'm retired, the pickup and delivery service makes this relatively painless.

Sponsored

BP from C137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER ; 2022 Polestar 2
After 20,000 miles of perfect operation I just got this error message. The timing sucks because I am 400 miles from home. The power is not reduced for me but rather the charging speed is topping out at 21 kw/h. I hope to make it home today...eventually. I have an appointment to drop mine off tomorrow.

On a side note, reading forums during all my charging free time is really unhealthy.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
After 20,000 miles of perfect operation I just got this error message. The timing sucks because I am 400 miles from home. The power is not reduced for me but rather the charging speed is topping out at 21 kw/h. I hope to make it home today...eventually. I have an appointment to drop mine off tomorrow.

On a side note, reading forums during all my charging free time is really unhealthy.
What was your most recent software update?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
There were several posts about reduced power, to 56% and front motor not operating, in all instances, the issue went away after a period of rest, several hours later to overnight, hopefully your situation is resolved similarly but if not, get her into that service appointment.
Sponsored