• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot

Sirthierry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat Extended
I bought the new 23 lightning Lariat extended battery last night, and was very happy with it initially. On my way home. I was flying high in this awesome truck! Until I got to the halfway point on my journey home from the dealership (~10 miles) at which time the powertrain malfunction warning came on screen, and my power was reduced to almost nothing while I was on the freeway. I barely pulled over to the side of the road and restarted the car. Thankfully, I was able to drive normally but with the warning light on. Checking the forums when I got home I saw how common this issue was and saw that the 12 V battery may be loose. I checked that; it was not the case. The forums on this topic are exhaustiv , so I am returning the truck today. Totally unacceptable. Buyer beware this is not ready for consumers!

Ford F-150 Lightning Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot 71389467818__79F69D1E-28C2-4146-B49D-F8E035E82EF8

Ford F-150 Lightning Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot IMG_0991

Ford F-150 Lightning Buyer Beware- avoid Lightning- Powertrain Malfunction off lot IMG_0990
Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Was this a brand new truck? I'd chalk it up to a defect which can happen. It's unfortunate and I'd return it too, but it doesn't mean that the Lightning in general is bad. Ford warranties the batteries and they've been getting quicker about the repairs/replacements (from what I've seen other forum members say). A brand new ICE truck can have issues too, things happen.

OP
OP

Sirthierry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat Extended
Was this a brand new truck? I'd chalk it up to a defect which can happen. It's unfortunate and I'd return it too, but it doesn't mean that the Lightning in general is bad. Ford warranties the batteries and they've been getting quicker about the repairs/replacements (from what I've seen other forum members say). A brand new ICE truck can have issues too, things happen.
Brand new 30 miles of test drives. When I tell various people about it (service dept, other salespeople at other dealerships) the reaction isn’t what I’d expect. Instead of surprise or shock, it is just pity. You’d think that something rare would be met with shock, and based on the number of threads on this topic I’m inclined to warn off potential buyers.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Brand new 30 miles of test drives. When I tell various people about it (service dept, other salespeople at other dealerships) the reaction isn’t what I’d expect. Instead of surprise or shock, it is just pity. You’d think that something rare would be met with shock, and based on the number of threads on this topic I’m inclined to warn off potential buyers.
22k miles on mine with no issues.

You do realize the majority of people on internet forums only come to vent about problems, right?

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
it is frustrating, it shouldn't happen but it does and it can happen to any vehicle.

It's all fixable. You're not going to be able to return it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
22k miles on mine with no issues.

You do realize the majority of people on internet forums only come to vent about problems, right?

Exactly........ while those like me and many others with a year plus of faultless operation (the truck that is) are pretty much happy as a clam and willing to up sell the Lightning to anyone I can entertain a conversation.

OP
OP

Sirthierry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat Extended
Exactly........ while those like me and many others with a year plus of faultless operation (the truck that is) are pretty much happy as a clam and willing to up sell the Lightning to anyone I can entertain a conversation.
I really wished to be among those. I was in love with the truck for the first part of the trip - now I don’t think I can trust it. :(. Glad that others aren’t all in the same boat!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I really wished to be among those. I was in love with the truck for the first part of the trip - now I don’t think I can trust it. :(. Glad that others aren’t all in the same boat!
I get where you're coming from. I probably wouldn't want too keep the truck either. But I'm confident if you give Ford a chance to fix it, it will be a great truck.

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
I feel bad for you. After reading these boards for awhile, I do worry about it sometimes, but still love the truck. Keeping my fingers crossed, and so far so good.

My sister bought a VW Rabbit when they came out with the new ones like 15 years back. Issue after issue. Girl in her early 20's stranded by herself several times, once in the middle of a road trip. Not a good situation. Finally was lemoned. It happens.

Last edited:

brtnstrns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Tacoma; 2022 Polestar 2 LRDM
When we purchased our Polestar 2, there were posts all over the forums and Reddit about powertrain failures that definitely made me paranoid. Ultimately, the car's been great and hasn't had any issues at all and quickly became one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned.

Internet forums are wonderful for an infinite number of reasons. Unfortunately they come with the caveat of tiny amounts of anecdata coming off as widespread.

Also, for better or worse, it's why warranties exist.

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but statistically it is an anomaly. 17,XXX lovely, no-issue miles in mine. That doesn't make your experience any less frustrating, but it's not the norm.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Checking the forums when I got home I saw how common this issue was and saw that the 12 V battery may be loose. I checked that; it was not the case. The forums on this topic are exhaustiv , so I am returning the truck today.
That damned internet! In another time, you’d have had the dealer fix the truck and still be happy.
Sponsored