• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power

Which update loaded just prior experiencing this issue?

• Priority Update: 23-PU0105-DC-CHG2: Improved DC Fast Charging

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priority Update: 22-PU0929-BLM-UP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Samzy

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
This is my first time posting here. I have a 2023 Lariat with 4800 miles and have been very happy with it without issues. Today however that message popped up for me "Powertrain malfunction /Reduced power". My speed dropped to 15 mph for few seconds, but then regained full power and I continued driving. The wrench symbol is on and my Fordpass app tells me to about it. I scheduled service with my dealer in small town Lancaster SC. Their initial over the phone diagnosis is that they might need to update certain software!!!
I will post again after the service call.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
wait for it......"Hi Liam sorry to hear about your complete loss of motive power and depressing experience with Roadside Assistance. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your brand new Ford Lightning. Please send us a DM with your VIN".......etc. etc.

How'd I do? Did I get the tone just right? I've been practicing.... :p
Dial up the meaningless platitudes a bit more....

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This is my first time posting here. I have a 2023 Lariat with 4800 miles and have been very happy with it without issues. Today however that message popped up for me "Powertrain malfunction /Reduced power". My speed dropped to 15 mph for few seconds, but then regained full power and I continued driving. The wrench symbol is on and my Fordpass app tells me to about it. I scheduled service with my dealer in small town Lancaster SC. Their initial over the phone diagnosis is that they might need to update certain software!!!
I will post again after the service call.
Hey there. I can look into your Lightning’s concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

nwoods44

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Management
I have been experiencing this issue on my 2023 Lariat ER since taking delivery on 6/15. I've gotten the alert 4 times. The truck does not lose power and I do not notice any issues with how it drives/handles. When the truck sits for a period of time, the clock on the screen loses time and the retractable gear shift will not work (may or may not be related). Super frustrating... not even to 1,000 miles yet. Have contacted my dealer but they only have one technician who can work on EV. Sigh...

tommyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I have been experiencing this issue on my 2023 Lariat ER since taking delivery on 6/15. I've gotten the alert 4 times. The truck does not lose power and I do not notice any issues with how it drives/handles. When the truck sits for a period of time, the clock on the screen loses time and the retractable gear shift will not work (may or may not be related). Super frustrating... not even to 1,000 miles yet. Have contacted my dealer but they only have one technician who can work on EV. Sigh...
I had this issue too, got the warning but the truck operated normally. See my posts #8 and #12 in this thread I started and tell your dealer, maybe it will help speed up the fix for you. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...rain-malfunction-reduced-power-warning.14270/

Sponsored

nwoods44

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Management
I had this issue too, got the warning but the truck operated normally. See my posts #8 and #12 in this thread I started and tell your dealer, maybe it will help speed up the fix for you. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...rain-malfunction-reduced-power-warning.14270/
THANK YOU for giving me this info. This makes a lot of sense in my scenario since the gear shift retraction doesn't work from time to time and when it does, it's really sluggish. It also seems to get "locked" in place from time to time. I'm assuming you had no issues after this was replaced?

tommyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning Lariat
THANK YOU for giving me this info. This makes a lot of sense in my scenario since the gear shift retraction doesn't work from time to time and when it does, it's really sluggish. It also seems to get "locked" in place from time to time. I'm assuming you had no issues after this was replaced?
You're very welcome. Correct, once they replaced the part the issue never re-appeared.

igriffin

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Sr Director, Product Management
@Ford Motor Company , last night, after a new update was pushed, I received the "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" alert. Additionally, along with this one, I also got the "High-Voltage Battery Warning". I can't charge it and only have 25% of my power. I made an appointment with my dealer, but they can't service it until Wednesday the 26th.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
@Ford Motor Company , last night, after a new update was pushed, I received the "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power" alert. Additionally, along with this one, I also got the "High-Voltage Battery Warning". I can't charge it and only have 25% of my power. I made an appointment with my dealer, but they can't service it until Wednesday the 26th.
Keep us updated. I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Updated and got both those messages and 20% max power. Towed to dealer who said earliest they can look at it is the 24th. Not enough trucks out there, with people on this forum, to have two peoples die with same message same day, right after the update (the update been trying to load for several days but had the truck at a low charge, 20-30%, and update kept erroring out but loaded as soon as I was charging overnight).

igriffin

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Sr Director, Product Management
Keep us updated. I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Updated and got both those messages and 20% max power. Towed to dealer who said earliest they can look at it is the 24th. Not enough trucks out there, with people on this forum, to have two peoples die with same message same day, right after the update (the update been trying to load for several days but had the truck at a low charge, 20-30%, and update kept erroring out but loaded as soon as I was charging overnight).
Will do! Same goes for you since you'll be able to get yours in a couple days prior to mine :)

Reactions: HJP

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I added a poll to this thread, trusted source have assured us that none of the recent updates are causing this issue, but I still am curious what the spread is.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power 1689792521806

Reactions: GDN

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

granfaloon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I’ve also got the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power warning on my 23 Pro with 8500 miles. My local dealer can’t get me in until Oct 26th, I don’t even know how that’s possible.

Truck drive fine on the way to work yesterday, but when I went to drive home, I had reduced power and a one pedal drive malfunction warning, along with the Powertrain warning. The touchscreen was also unresponsive. After a few mins, I power cycled and was able to drive home. I certainly don’t want to be driving this thing for the next three months with no diagnosis on the issue though, that’s ridiculous.

RideIn

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER Lightning
This just happened to me on my way home today. Drove to an appointment about 25 miles, no problems. Started the vehicle up to return home and had the warning come up in the screen and the dummy light on dash. Got the error message on the app.

I was able to drive home normally.

This is the first drive I've taken since Update PU0306-BCF-DET was installed.

@Ford Motor Company, I already sent you a DM with my VIN.

2022 Lariat ER 9842 miles

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power IMG_9260

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
Ford may say that this has nothing to do with the software update but there are not enough Lightnings around for this many posts about the error popping up post install without there being a correlation. Hopefully my dealer will look at it on Monday.
Sponsored