• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge port door latch broke

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Honda Passport
Occupation
Construction Executive
The little finger plunger mechanism broke off in the catch, now door is just flapping in the wind and I can't get the plunger out, any ideas?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The little finger plunger mechanism broke off in the catch, now door is just flapping in the wind and I can't get the plunger out, any ideas?
Hey Chris, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer. I'd like to look into this charge door concern. Thanks!

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Had to have mi e replaced due to a similar issue. The Entire assembly has to be replaced. Dunno the price as it was a warranty but it took a day to swap FWIW

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Warranty

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
If for some reason you don't want to go the warranty route, In my 2006 F150 when my fuel door broke I just glued a magnet and strike plate to the door and car so that the magnet held it shut. I'd probably do the same here if it happens outside of warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Honda Passport
Occupation
Construction Executive
I should have clarified that I plan to fix under warranty but my dealers soonest appointment is a little over 2 weeks out.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
The flap latch is a poor design. Is troublesome in winter weather. I don’t know why Ford didn’t simply design it like the flaps ICE trucks and cars have used for about 60 years.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And if you live where it snows, I suggest you cary in the cabin, not the frunk, a battery-powered heat gun or , like me yesterday, you will either be unable to open the chargeport door or will be unable to remove the chargecord from your truck. This needs to be redesigned and retrofitted to earlier Lightnings. And you shouldn’t be expected to purchase a special weatherproof Ford chargeport system either. The current system could cost a life some day when there are freezing conditions and you need to drive. Or you could get stuck at a DC charger while taking your family to Grandma’s for Christmas.

I really like my truck but I don’t live in Florida and I charge outside.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
And if you live where it snows, I suggest you cary in the cabin, not the frunk, a battery-powered heat gun or , like me yesterday, you will either be unable to open the chargeport door or will be unable to remove the chargecord from your truck. This needs to be redesigned and retrofitted to earlier Lightnings. And you shouldn’t be expected to purchase a special weatherproof Ford chargeport system either. The current system could cost a life some day when there are freezing conditions and you need to drive. Or you could get stuck at a DC charger while taking your family to Grandma’s for Christmas.

I really like my truck but I don’t live in Florida and I charge outside.
I really could have used the hair dryer (that I took out of the truck) last night trying to charge on Mt. Hood in a snowstorm. Issues both with the chargeport door freezing and the chargers themselves being full of ice and snow. The chargers were almost buried in the snow drifts.

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
If for some reason you don't want to go the warranty route, In my 2006 F150 when my fuel door broke I just glued a magnet and strike plate to the door and car so that the magnet held it shut. I'd probably do the same here if it happens outside of warranty.
Boy a pic would be great. I’ve had mine seem flaky at times and anticipate it breaking. warranty is fine but I’d rather go a more permanent solution.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Boy a pic would be great. I’ve had mine seem flaky at times and anticipate it breaking. warranty is fine but I’d rather go a more permanent solution.
This was my old gasser that I got rid of a few years ago. I think how I would do it on this truck would vary depending on what broke and how.

Reactions: cal

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I used blue painters tape on the MME till it got fixed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge port door latch broke IMG_7938

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The blue looks great with your grey car.
Sponsored