• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Last edited by a moderator:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Add into the equation that the F-150L only works for backup power:

1) When it's parked and plugged in. So don't use it during an outage.
2) When it has sufficient charge to do so. So if you use it during the day and have no charge left, waiting to charge overnight, and then you get a massive afternoon thunderstorm and lose power...

This is why many will a) put in a whole house generator and b) provide the ability to power the house IF the generator fails with manual intervention (i.e. plugging the truck in).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

tblches

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I was just reading the article and there was something new I had read before.

" There's a cost-savings benefit to this as well. If you invest in the Home Integration System, you'll be able to use an upcoming system in the F-150 Lightning that will actually allow you to choose the truck's battery for home power, when grid electricity rates are highest, saving you some money. "

Had that been announced before? A new way of doing load-shed and to pick and choose when to run off of truck battery? That alone could make it worth the investment.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

" There's a cost-savings benefit to this as well. If you invest in the Home Integration System, you'll be able to use an upcoming system in the F-150 Lightning that will actually allow you to choose the truck's battery for home power, when grid electricity rates are highest, saving you some money. "

Had that been announced before? A new way of doing load-shed and to pick and choose when to run off of truck battery? That alone could make it worth the investment.
It's been discussed. It will not be supported Day 1. But it will require a properly installed HIS or equal to take advantage of if/when the compensation models form.

OP did not mention tax advantages if the HIS is installed as part of a new solar install.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Yes, that had been announced prior. Really only applies in areas with very high electricity costs, because the breakeven to install the system would be a long time out otherwise.

Look for info talking about the ability for several trucks to power a small neighborhood in a large outage...

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma

It depends on where you are. Some places have different prices based on time of day/demand. Others pay a flat rate (though the electric company pays based on demand) giving the electric company a chance to save money (if they can forward this savings to you, great).

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Keeping the solar output up, powering the house, and charging the truck is my reason to invest in this unit, which is twice what an inverter alone costs.

OP
OP
Nick Gerteis

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Keeping the solar output up, powering the house, and charging the truck is my reason to invest in this unit, which is twice what an inverter alone costs.
It’ll be interesting to see if the bed outlet/transfer switch option will produce a clean enough sine wave signal to get the PV inverter to kick back on. That would vastly extend the time you can cheaply backup power the house. Obviously only while the vehicle is parked at home.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It’ll be interesting to see if the bed outlet/transfer switch option will produce a clean enough sine wave signal to get the PV inverter to kick back on. That would vastly extend the time you can cheaply backup power the house. Obviously only while the vehicle is parked at home.
The inverter for the bed outlets are not indicated to be bi-directional. If you keep solar connected while powering from the bed and your house is ever consuming less than your solar is capable of producing, you risk frying your truck's inverter. In other words, do not do this!

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Add into the equation that the F-150L only works for backup power:

1) When it's parked and plugged in. So don't use it during an outage.
2) When it has sufficient charge to do so. So if you use it during the day and have no charge left, waiting to charge overnight, and then you get a massive afternoon thunderstorm and lose power...

This is why many will a) put in a whole house generator and b) provide the ability to power the house IF the generator fails with manual intervention (i.e. plugging the truck in).
1) I believe I saw schematics that allow for additional batteries to be added to the system. You could theoretically add say 5kWh so you can drive the truck elsewhere. The typical house uses less than 30kWh/day and that would give you roughly 5 hours of backup.

2) Sufficient charge is valid, but it would be based on how often someone returns home with 0 battery left. Plus, how long one is charging prior to a power outage.

I own a Tesla 75D and already have a home backup system with only 5kWh of backup storage and 20kW of inverter capability. During my outages, my car charger kicks off. My 5kWh kicks in for a critical loads panel and it is enough to last me through the night. On my Pro, the 5kWh is equivalent to just 5% of the battery capacity.

My system is setup, so that when the sun shines in the day, it powers both the house and recharges the battery. From what I read the intelligent backup should allow the same and to charge the truck back up. But if you needed to leave, then the bigger question is how far do you live from a DC fast charger? Because at that point you'll likely need to visit one.

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
SunRun does not operate in my state. I had an electrician over at my house for some electrical work the other day and asked hime to give me a quote for adding a circuit and running a 60 amp line to my garage for the Pro Charger. He quoted me $900. What other hardware do I need in order to have the truck power the house?

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
I currently have two Tesla Powerwalls and I live in Texas. For us at least, it's been worth it. Between the astronomical AC bills in the summer and the frequent power outages, (thanks, independent Texas grid!), it's both saved us an average of $100-150 per month in electricity costs and has led to uninterrupted power when the rest of the neighborhood has gone down on at least six occasions since October.

I plan on purchasing this - one step closer to no longer needing to depend on someone else to generate our power.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Willing to be that the grid tie didn't make your power go out once in the last year. Online web site for that information.
Bet your power company is one of the cheapest in the country.
Houston Power and Light used to drill wells for natural gas. Then they'd cap them for future use. Now is the future that was.

I've gone online to check addresses for the powerwalls and keep being told not available in your area. You'd think outside of Austin would qualify.
Sponsored