• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging 12V Battery

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
On a side, related note, is there a way to partially close the Frunk? I have an extension cord running in to power the NOCO. Ideally I'd like to partially close it to keep the weather/leaves out. But given all the posts I've seen about Frunk issues with manual closures, I'm reluctant to try.
I closed the frunk on top of the charge cord. There is a gasket there that cushions the gap. It did not damage the cord. If you connect to the jump points, that is outside the frunk gasketed opening and the gap is different i.e., check for clearance.

I was concerned that keeping the frunk open, even partially, would keep an inhibit update from occurring. According to the update instructions:
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging 12V Battery 1698289681112

I had to Google it but boot = trunk and bonnet = hood. So it appears frunk needs to be closed. Would be great if someone tested this.
Sponsored

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Well I think I've discovered why my software updates have been missing. Yesterday I charged my truck to 90%. Between yesterday and this morning, drove about 100 miles. For the first time connected my NOCO charger to the LVB. It's barely registering! 25% or less charge light flashing. It will be interesting to see if it regains a full charge and then maintains it.
As noted above, when I initially connected the NOCO, I was getting a charge reading of 25% or less. But when I checked about an hour later, the reading was 100% and in maintenance mode. This is with a NOCO 2 (2 amp) charger. Would the LVP really charge that quickly?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
As noted above, when I initially connected the NOCO, I was getting a charge reading of 25% or less. But when I checked about an hour later, the reading was 100% and in maintenance mode. This is with a NOCO 2 (2 amp) charger. Would the LVP really charge that quickly?
The factory 12 volt AGM battery is rated at 35 amp-hours. Theoretically, it would take just over 13 hours to charge it 75% (26.25 amp-hours) with a 2 amp charge rate. The "25% or less" reading seems suspicious.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
The factory 12 volt AGM battery is rated at 35 amp-hours. Theoretically, it would take just over 13 hours to charge it 75% (26.25 amp-hours) with a 2 amp charge rate. The "25% or less" reading seems suspicious.
I suspected as much. Thanks.

Mikkel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
My NOCO Genius 10 charge-level LEDs take a few seconds to progress to the next level. For example, when the charger is first plugged in, the 25% LED pulses for 5-10 seconds, then the 50% LED pulses for about the same amount of time, etc. Perhaps you didn't look at the LED status levels long enough to see the initial progression... (just spitballin' here)

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
As I was trickle charging my 12-volt battery the way Bruce suggested in his OP post, I noticed the back of the front cover had a typical calendar date system embossed in the plastic, as typically found for dating battery installs (but more usually found on the battery itself to avoid switcheroos). I didn't see any dating on the visible part of the battery through the opening in the back of the frunk. Also, the possible years of date use only run to 2027. Seems more likely to be a dating system for frunk construction, with the 2027 year being the maximum possible use of that frunk design or the current Lightning design. The other funky thing is several months in the calendar are "checked off."

Does anybody have any idea what the calendar date system is for on the inside of the frunk 12-volt battery cover? For reference, my truck was originally scheduled to be built in February 2023, so that might correspond with the last date marked on the frunk cover calendar being December 2022. (somehow, my iPhone turned the dark plastic into a golden plastic. So much for true color rendition on the iPhone with lighting from 2700K "amber" LED light bulbs).

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging 12V Battery 1698728020420

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Got my NOCO Genius2, 2A trickle charger yesterday. Via the 12-volt terminals indicated in the OP post for directly charging the 12-volt battery, not the jump start posts, I charged my LVB via the AGM protocol to 100% by the NOCO Genius2 (solid green light at the right end of the LED strip). But got the same result as when using a Deltran 1.25 A Battery Tender Plus. As read out by Car Scanner with the vehicle turned on, I only charged to 80% SOC. If I run my truck, I can drive the same reading to at least 86% SOC. Maybe there is some misunderstanding between Car Scanner and NOCO on charging vs. float voltage, etc. Great if someone has a good explanation as to what's going on.

The other idiosyncrasy was that when I first plugged in the NOCO, it started in the 25% SOC range (one flashing red LED), whereas Car Scanner read the SOC as 55% (quite a drop from Friday five days ago when the truck was well over 80% SOC and has just sat around plugged into the FCSP since then). Perhaps the NOCO has a slow and steady programmatic sequence to go through, and it just slowly and carefully wends its way upward, checking and double-checking the battery response to different applied voltages, averaging out temperature readings, etc. Since the NOCO manual says the charging time estimates for different Ah battery sizes assume a 50% DOD on starting, perhaps the NOCO 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% charged points are really misnamed and refer to progress up the discharge/recharge curve from 50% DOD as my LVB certainly wasn't at >75% DOD (the truck theoretically won't let that happen, too).

If anyone has any hints as to how to make it easier to remove the frunk battery cover, I would much appreciate. Ford took care to isolate the electronics on the other side of the frunk wall with foam blocking the battery cover vent opening, etc. With the frunk sitting open and the battery cover removed, if any rodent could get into my garage and climb up into the open frunk, it would have a royal feast on all the wiring now accessible through that open battery cover door/window! :D

Ford seems to wrongly assume that everyone will drive their truck far enough and often enough to keep their AGM battery suitably charged. When most AGM maintenance advice says it's best to keep the SOC above 50% to prolong battery lifespan, it's crazy that Ford will let the AGM sink as low as 30% SOC before immediately calling for recharge from the HVB. Perhaps the concern is just not to reduce anyone's range by having the LVB unexpectedly consume HVB energy at the wrong time. But when the parking protocol urges the owner always to plug in, that's a lame excuse, particularly if it's plugged into a 48-amp or higher capacity charger. With some AI, the date and time of the week and the usual miles a user drives could then be factored into any decision as to when it's "safe" to recharge the LVB.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I added a ring harness connector (linked below) to the suggested location on the battery terminals and ran the cable through the battery door handle where the foam is. It hangs there, so I can hook in a trickle charger easily if needed. I haven't used it yet, but figured it might be useful and I already had the part from a previous vehicle. My trickle charger is only 1.5a, so the 16 gauge wire should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4B3RPH

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
I added a ring harness connector (linked below) to the suggested location on the battery terminals and ran the cable through the battery door handle where the foam is. It hangs there, so I can hook in a trickle charger easily if needed. I haven't used it yet, but figured it might be useful and I already had the part from a previous vehicle. My trickle charger is only 1.5a, so the 16 gauge wire should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4B3RPH
Thinking about doing this. I'm wondering - does this battery compartment access method work for both charging the LVB and for "jumping" a depleted one (so not to need taking apart all those side panel clips?)

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
I have put a series of pics together to demonstrate how I installed my trickle charger so as not have to remove the frunk side panel every time.
IMG_1806.jpeg

The main feature is the grommet I installed in the panel. It must be large enough to allow the connector pass through it. (I’m my case it was 3/4”)
IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1809.jpeg

After that it is just a matter of connecting the charger to this midline connector and plugging it in. (No more removing the cover.)

I keep the charger stored in the frunk so it always handy.

IMG_1808.jpeg
I
keep the charger stored in the frunk so it always handy.

IMG_1810.jpeg
Hi, what is the advantage of hooking the tender up at the jump points, as you show, as opposed to putting a similar grommet in the LVB compartment cover, and hooking up the neg terminal downstream of the BMS sensor? Or is it just a personal preference? Thank you for the info. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/charging-12v-battery.16979/#post-342220

Sponsored