• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Healthy 12V Battery Level

Megsfolks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Marketing
Never had an AGM battery before and reading how some feel the 12V battery level may be one of the reasons for not getting software updates. I have been monitoring mine when the truck isnt on, and it is at about 12.1V. I know the traditional lead acids would be expected to be at about 12.8V to be healthy. Is 12.1V typical for these batteries?
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
It's more an issue with battery size and charge rate. 12.1v is low for any battery, I would check voltage with truck on and then maybe top charge the battery out of the truck to check its actual capacity.

Allegedly it might take 30minutes of driving to charge the 12v, do you do lots of small trips?

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I keep an eye on mine through the OBD port and it struggles to get over 80% SOC. Iā€™ve driven for more than an hour and only made it up to 82%. Itā€™s going in next week to get carpet replaced and Iā€™m having the battery tested while itā€™s there. I donā€™t think the factory batteries are very good on these.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
This little 12V port guy tells me that my off/sleeping voltage is about 12.1V-12.8V as it wakes up and that the HVB almost immediately starts a 13.8V-15.1V charge to the LVB. It also demonstrates that you can leave the truck 'running' and allow it to shutdown on its own (check your setting). The truck will charge the LVB while it is running. This also allows you to lock the truck and walkaway with the key.

OP
OP
Megsfolks

Megsfolks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Marketing
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I see my performance to be like what @Amps is seeing. I got one of those little ciggy lighter deals and plugged it in during drive and rest. One observation was that when I came out to the garage this morning, the Ciggy Lighter gauge was dead. No power until I started up again. Thus, for some reason it seems 12V shut down overnight. Jumping ahead here, but it would seem that if this is true, it is a problem which could be prohibiting my software updates (still pre 3.5.5).

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
If you haven't charged the LVB it might be worth a shot, or ask the dealer to do it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I see my performance to be like what @Amps is seeing. I got one of those little ciggy lighter deals and plugged it in during drive and rest. One observation was that when I came out to the garage this morning, the Ciggy Lighter gauge was dead. No power until I started up again. Thus, for some reason it seems 12V shut down overnight. Jumping ahead here, but it would seem that if this is true, it is a problem which could be prohibiting my software updates (still pre 3.5.5).
It's supposed to shutdown.

Do what was suggested, let it run locked for the 30 minutes and it will then shutdown, and you'll be all set.

My Mach-E failed applying an update this weekend, repeatedly. I drove to an EV event, then home, and it promptly applied the update.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The one most critical thing for SW updates I've identified is the SOC of the LV battery. Seems the truck won't even charge it to the level that one of two of the SW updates want it charge to before install, so that makes it difficult.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
It's supposed to shutdown.

Do what was suggested, let it run locked for the 30 minutes and it will then shutdown, and you'll be all set.

My Mach-E failed applying an update this weekend, repeatedly. I drove to an EV event, then home, and it promptly applied the update.
I have had similar experiences. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for updates. I have charged during the day, had HV battery at 90% SOC by 7:00 p.m., scheduled for updates overnight, and nothing happens. I drove to a store the next day, went inside for about 10 minutes, and when I got back into my truck the update had been installed.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The ICE forum is also trying to determine the perfect scenario for what it takes to get a SW update. Their latest determination is that it takes a full tank of GAS !!

We are screwed.

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have been trouble getting updates as well. Iā€™m currently unable to see or access the software update scheduler, but thatā€™s for another day.

Last night I put a trickle charger on the battery and this morning I got notice that an update ā€˜recallā€™ was pending and would load tonight. Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve seen anything on software updates.

I may keep that up for awhile and see what effect it continues to have.

Reactions: GDN

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Context...

During the update process the LVB is drawn upon. I'm not exactly sure why; maybe the HVB is isolated, maybe it can't charge when there is no software telling it to charge, it doesn't really matter why. The point is there is an LVB min charge level so the update process doesn't prevent you from getting to work in the morning because it killed the battery. That's why people find their vehicles have updated after a drive or trickle charge.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to see if your truck was able to accept an update. My ipad tells me it has to be charging and connected to wifi to update. That's simple enough.
Sponsored