• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Rate Limited in the Heat?

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I tried searching and didn't see much; As someone enjoying heat indexes in excess of 115F, I've noticed I can't pull more than 60kW from any DC fast chargers. I saw that rate with some 85kW Charge point chargers, with EA 150kW stations, so on.

I imagine the truck is throttling itself to protect the battery but man this has really slowed down my cross country trip. I can hear the fan roaring, it's louder than my old Ranger in first gear lol.

Anyone else also experiencing this or is it something unique to me?
Yes, high outside ambient temperature does have an impact.

Traveling in July and August as temperatures approach 90 degrees, and above, will slow your charge rate.....sigh. Nothing we can do about physics.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Charged today in 100F weather, no shade, got 130+ kW on a 150kW charger. I have max tow, dunno of it helped. Battery gauge was dead center, had a pixel to the right when I finished charging.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I've noticed thermal throttling in the past and didn't think too much of it at the time. I'm currently at a Red-E charger that has given good "curves" in the past (colder temps) but tonight it started throttling and it's only 74 degrees out.

The throttling starts pretty abruptly (and its not pretty) at about 36.5 degrees Celsius (or 98 F) and in my case it continues until the SoC hits 80% and the charge rate naturally drops off a cliff and allows the battery to cool without throttling. See attached screenshot (can post more detailed graphs tomorrow).

Disregard the lack of conversion (unit says F but it's actually C.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Rate Limited in the Heat? 20230706_212159

Last edited:

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I really wish the truck would give us that info including the rate the truck is requesting.

Jlarbeypro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
I've noticed thermal throttling in the past and didn't think too much of it at the time. I'm currently at a Red-E charger that has given good "curves" in the past (colder temps) but tonight it started throttling and it's only 74 degrees out.

The throttling starts pretty abruptly (and its not pretty) at about 36.5 degrees Celsius (or 98 F) and in my case it continues until the SoV hits 80% and the charge rate naturally drops off a cliff and allows the battery to cool without throttling. See attached screenshot (can post more detailed graphs tomorrow).

Disregard the lack of conversion (unit says F but it's actually C.

20230706_212159.jpg
what is this on the screen? thats awesome having those stats...

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Sorry for the delay, seems Zprime beat me to the answers.... that link explains my setup.

The more detailed logs is below... note the difference between the two, that it's the truck that is requesting a reduced (throttling) charge current. Each "step" in the red line (battery temp) is 1 degree Celsius (data doesn't have better resolution than that).
Also check out the last image, I haven't had a chance to "finesse" the graph, but the darker blue shows thermo throttling from the charge side and in this case it's not doing it (value remains at 100% output).

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Rate Limited in the Heat? pre
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Rate Limited in the Heat? post
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Rate Limited in the Heat? chrger.PNG

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Somewhat related, I've noticed in the extremely hot and humid temps being experienced in Texas right now, that my truck is always showing slightly warm on battery temps. Coolant level is slightly above the min. It's going to the dealership tomorrow and I plan on asking for the coolant to be topped off a bit, but I'm not sure if it's just my truck but if it's been left in the sun the battery temps will run hot when started. Ambient temps are 100F with high humidity, and it doesn't cool off much at night (80F).

Anyone seeing the same or is my cooling system degraded?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm seeing the same. Battery temp gauge is pretty much always to the right of middle now that the lows are 80+. It doesn't go much past the half way point between middle and the right side of the zone marker. I take that to mean the truck is doing its job.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've also noted that when using a wall outlet (visiting family) a significant portion is being used to cool the battery, I assume. Ford Pass will report 14+kWh added overnight but the percentage will only be 8% and I can hear the trucks cooling fan going. All presumably normal but nonetheless a data point for folks operating in the heat.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I've also noted that when using a wall outlet (visiting family) a significant portion is being used to cool the battery, I assume. Ford Pass will report 14+kWh added overnight but the percentage will only be 8% and I can hear the trucks cooling fan going. All presumably normal but nonetheless a data point for folks operating in the heat.
Where do you see the kWh added in FordPass? My charge logs donā€™t have it.

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where do you see the kWh added in FordPass? My charge logs donā€™t have it.
When it's plugged in, I click charging details and can see it's been charging for 10 hours at 1.2kW for 12.1kWh total.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
When it's plugged in, I click charging details and can see it's been charging for 10 hours at 1.2kW for 12.1kWh total.
Iā€™ve never seen other than a whole number for the charge rate. When I plug in L1, it always reports 1 KW.

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™ve never seen other than a whole number for the charge rate. When I plug in L1, it always reports 1 KW.
It reports 1kW because it rounds but it is delivering 1200 W (I believe that is the mobile chargers 120V limit).
Sponsored