• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging in the ‘DMV’

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I was wondering if perhaps someone could share their experiences using the public charging network in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. I’ve seen a few Lightnings in the area (not a lot, but a few) and was curious about things like availability and cost of fast chargers, wait times/high use areas to avoid, apps used to locate the chargers, etc. I’m new to EV’s and have a build date of August 7th for a SR XLT. I live on a military base so I’m fairly certain that installing an upgraded home charger will be a no-go. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I was wondering if perhaps someone could share their experiences using the public charging network in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. I’ve seen a few Lightnings in the area (not a lot, but a few) and was curious about things like availability and cost of fast chargers, wait times/high use areas to avoid, apps used to locate the chargers, etc. I’m new to EV’s and have a build date of August 7th for a SR XLT. I live on a military base so I’m fairly certain that installing an upgraded home charger will be a no-go. Any feedback would be appreciated.
You should use PlugShare to examine your area, see what level 2 chargers (slow) are available nearby, or at your grocery store, library, etc. Also look at the DC fast chargers (focusing on Electrify America). You get 250kWh of free charging their using Ford Plug and Charge or FordPass, which will be gone pretty quickly (250/98=...). If you have access to a 120v outlet, you can level 1 charge if the truck is sitting for days at a time, or if you don't put a lot of miles on it. Figure about 1.1 kW per hour, so 98/1.1 = ... Each kWh, in local driving, is worth maybe 2.3 miles.

Buying an EV without home charging can be very challenging, it's not recommended for those that don't find options to charge nearby as they'll quickly get frustrated. The joy of waking up to a "full tank" is part of owning an EV.

Yesterday I picked up people at the airport, the truck then drove an hour south and back, and then another 50 mile roundtrip or so. Came back with 44% (ER, not SR). Charged from 7PM to around 1AM at a rate of 48amp (11.5kW), and back to 90%.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I've had great luck with Electrify America between Baltimore and DC. Usually empty, always sustaining a good rate of charge.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
As @RickLightning said plug share will be your friend. On the NOVA side of the DMV there's a bunch of reliable EA DCFS options and some EVGO as well. Lots of slower level 2 stuff at malls and grocery stores as well. I think the MD burbs are similar.

If you got the mobile charger you can use that in any 110v outlet. Not sure if that might be a viable option on base - maybe your housing has an outdoor outlet you can use? 110v outlet charging is going to be very slow though.

Sponsored

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
I am in Mont co and have only charged at home. Haven’t charged in the wild yet

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
For the first five months that I had my truck, I relied exclusively on public charging - whether it be Level 2 or DC fast charging. I used EA at Potomac Mills with few issues as well as Charge Point, Volta and EVGO locations when it was not convenient to charge at a local Ford dealership. Now, I primarily charge at home, the Ford dealership or a Volta site.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
We make the round trip of Pittsburgh to NoVa almost monthly. EA chargers at Hagerstown Walmart, Leesburg Outlets and Sheetz near Dulles Airport have always been reliable and available.
BTW - the cost per kWh in Va and MD are twice the cost per kWh at EA at Sheetz in Bedford PA (charge by minute).

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
If you're on the DC/Baltimore side you should be fine. If you're on the eastern shore side of the Delmarva area, there's not much available. Pretty much nothing over 50kw, and not much even for that.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
So thinking about this in the same way that people talk about charging at apartments or other rental property.

Could you possibly convince the 'landlord' that installing EV chargers for residents is a good idea. Seeing as how the landlord in this case is the USA Federal government and the people at the top are currently very interested in investing in EV charging infrastructure. Maybe it isn't that much of an uphill battle?

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Having a L2 home charger installed is not all that different from say having a dryer outlet installed.
But if that's not an option....
I live in the hybla valley area and the main highway is Rt 1. I see many places to charge in the area.
Free at most/all Walgreens but L2 only so far although they are planning DC Fast charging too - 15 minutes free or something like that.
Walmart - parking lot section has multiple commercial charging stations.
Hybla Valley Shopping center parking lot has a bunch of them too.

I haven't used any because I charge exclusively at home. But I see mostly Tesla's, Leaf's and now an occasional Lightning using them.

I think when you get your truck you will have an app that can locate ones in the Blue Oval Ford network and guide you to them.

I saw this article from 2022 about plans to put EV stations on military bases: https://electrek.co/2022/10/28/ev-charging-at-military-bases/

There are many on line sources for finding EV stations, such as from the DOE: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=ELEC

Good luck!

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
The "always charged" aspect of an electric vehicle is one of the great benefits of owning one, so I would think that finding a workable on-base charging solution will be critical. Given the DoD mandate to convert all non-combat vehicles to electric by 2035, there may be an opportunity to get access to EV charging somewhere on-base.

Level 1 (120V AC) charging might be workable, depending on how often and how much you drive. The Lightning's built-in 120V charger is limited to 10A (1.2kW), even if more current is available. This means that plugged into a regular outlet, the Lighting will charge at roughly 2.5 miles per hour plugged in, or about 3 days for a worst-case charge (from 10% to 90%). Most people drive less than 40 miles per trip when they do drive -- so if your typical daily driving is less than 40 miles, that is sufficient to recharge the truck while you work and sleep. Other scenarios can also work -- for example, if you only drive on the weekend and usually less than 200 miles, then on Friday night can have a full "tank" and come back with 15% and be charged back up by Wednesday afternoon.

I second Rick's suggestion to get PlugShare (it is both an app and a website) and check out your options for fast charging away from home. You can set the filters in the app and see what chargers you have nearby, and which ones are reliable.

OP
OP

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
For the first five months that I had my truck, I relied exclusively on public charging - whether it be Level 2 or DC fast charging. I used EA at Potomac Mills with few issues as well as Charge Point, Volta and EVGO locations when it was not convenient to charge at a local Ford dealership. Now, I primarily charge at home, the Ford dealership or a Volta site.
i’m curious to know what your thought process was on installing the home charger. What home setup do you have? Were those 5 months manageable? Why didn’t you have the home setup complete before you got the truck (I’m sensing you were in a similar situation as myself, hoping to rely exclusively on public charging but finding it too inconvenient).

So thinking about this in the same way that people talk about charging at apartments or other rental property.

Could you possibly convince the 'landlord' that installing EV chargers for residents is a good idea. Seeing as how the landlord in this case is the USA Federal government and the people at the top are currently very interested in investing in EV charging infrastructure. Maybe it isn't that much of an uphill battle?
What you’re saying makes sense, perhaps too much sense for the federal government, but on-post housing offices are strict about modifying anything in the house. For example, at another duty station we were not allowed to install a few wall mounted shelves in our kitchen nook. Electrical work is another beast altogether, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to inquire. I’m learning quickly that there are several significant (and expensive) hurdles one most jump to conveniently transition to an EV. I suppose much of this will be simplified in the next 10-15 years but for now we’re really in uncharted territory. It’s making me have second thoughts to be honest.

The "always charged" aspect of an electric vehicle is one of the great benefits of owning one, so I would think that finding a workable on-base charging solution will be critical. Given the DoD mandate to convert all non-combat vehicles to electric by 2035, there may be an opportunity to get access to EV charging somewhere on-base.

Level 1 (120V AC) charging might be workable, depending on how often and how much you drive. The Lightning's built-in 120V charger is limited to 10A (1.2kW), even if more current is available. This means that plugged into a regular outlet, the Lighting will charge at roughly 2.5 miles per hour plugged in, or about 3 days for a worst-case charge (from 10% to 90%). Most people drive less than 40 miles per trip when they do drive -- so if your typical daily driving is less than 40 miles, that is sufficient to recharge the truck while you work and sleep. Other scenarios can also work -- for example, if you only drive on the weekend and usually less than 200 miles, then on Friday night can have a full "tank" and come back with 15% and be charged back up by Wednesday afternoon.

I second Rick's suggestion to get PlugShare (it is both an app and a website) and check out your options for fast charging away from home. You can set the filters in the app and see what chargers you have nearby, and which ones are reliable.
The usage you’re describing is inline with my particular situation, and it’s why I considered the truck in the first place. This would be almost strictly an in-town vehicle with the occasional short road trip. I’m right around 40 miles daily driving, but life and unintended mileage happens. I suppose I could drive my dilapidated but paid-for and functional minivan in a crunch, but $67k is a lot of cheddar to be relying on a second car. Only I can answer this of course, but I’m just not sure if it’s worth the anxiety and hassle without a workable home charging situation. I’m seduced by the idea of an EV, the relative simplicity of the design vs. an ICE vehicle, and also by the efficiency and performance; I’m also supportive of finding alternatives to the ICE, as politically and environmentally fraught as it is. But getting into the nitty gritty of range anxiety and charging infrastructure and it gets…complicated.

anyway, I’m grateful for all of the replies here, thanks.

Last edited:

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
i’m curious to know what your thought process was on installing the home charger. What home setup do you have? Were those 5 months manageable? Why didn’t you have the home setup complete before you got the truck (I’m sensing you were in a similar situation as myself, hoping to rely exclusively on public charging but finding it too inconvenient).
My truck is the extended range Lariat. I actually had the electrical work completed before the truck was received and just needed the charger to be installed. Unfortunately, the case on the original charger was broken when it arrived so I had to wait for a new one to be delivered to the dealership.

I do not do all of my charging at home. I know where I can charge for free and will do so if convenient. The 5 months were more than manageable As I could charge where my wife worked, where I had meetings and went shopping - all for free. I also tried different DC fast charging just to do it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
What you’re saying makes sense, perhaps too much sense for the federal government, but on-post housing offices are strict about modifying anything in the house.
Do you have an electric dryer? If so, how far is it from the truck?
Sponsored