• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m still wondering if the mobile charger requires the neutral for it to work.
At this point I’m inclined to spend the extra $$ for the 6/3 Romex and wire in a NEMA 14-50 outlet and then run 6/2 a couple of feet to hardwire in the ChargePoint.

If the mobile charger doesn’t require a neutral then it would be nice ifFord would offer a 6-50 plug as an alternative.
No, it does not use the neutral. The 14-50 is supplied on most EVSEs because they are so widely available at campgrounds.

The NEC does not allow more than one outlet on an EVSE circuit. Note that the NEC defines outlet as “the point where utilization equipment connects to premises wiring.” It’s not limited to receptacles.
In your case, you would have 2 outlets, the 14-50 and the hard-wired Chargepoint.
Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
No, it does not use the neutral. The 14-50 is supplied on most EVSEs because they are so widely available at campgrounds.

The NEC does not allow more than one outlet on an EVSE circuit. Note that the NEC defines outlet as “the point where utilization equipment connects to premises wiring.” It’s not limited to receptacles.
In your case, you would have 2 outlets, the 14-50 and the hard-wired Chargepoint.
I was considering installing a double pole double throw switch to isolate the EVSE circuit but those are about $500 for 60 amps. I also have considered installing a breaker box to segregate the 14-50 outlet from the ChargePoint wiring.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I’m still wondering if the mobile charger requires the neutral for it to work.
At this point I’m inclined to spend the extra $$ for the 6/3 Romex and wire in a NEMA 14-50 outlet and then run 6/2 a couple of feet to hardwire in the ChargePoint.

If the mobile charger doesn’t require a neutral then it would be nice ifFord would offer a 6-50 plug as an alternative.
Sounds unnecessarily complex. I didn't catch what trim level you've ordered, but I assume it's not one with Ford's hardwired EVSE or I assume you'd just use that.

For mobile I don't plan to use the Ford one at all due to the plug limitation. I plan to use a Tesla UMC and a J1772 adapter. The Tesla UMC has many different plug adapters including the 6-50 and common dryer plugs like the 6-30 and 14-30.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I was considering installing a double pole double throw switch to isolate the EVSE circuit but those are about $500 for 60 amps. I also have considered installing a breaker box to segregate the 14-50 outlet from the ChargePoint wiring.
Wouldn't you then need to increase the size of the conductors feeding the new 'sub-panel'/breaker box?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ford designed the mobile charger to use the optional 240v 50amp NEMA 14-50 outlet for various reasons - this is the outlet sizing that provides not only the 30amps of power, and more, but can be available for upgrading to higher amperage charging at a later date. Also, this is a very COMMON outlet at campgrounds, where it may be very convenient as an emergency charging option stop, if needed, or to simply provide 240v charging during your camping stay. On another note, the NEMA 14-50 is also much more common now for residential CLOTHES DRYERS and OVENS. The neutral is not always needed in every situation, no, but it is there for those devices and appliances that DO need it.
A Lightning EVSE mobile charger will not need the Neutral since both legs of power are drawing the exact same amount all the time.
A 50amp motorhome, though, does NOT draw the same amount of power on both legs, so the Neutral is required to 'balance' the load.
A new Clothes Dryer requires the Neutral for safety.
An OVEN or stove top requires the neutral.

As a last note: there are many and varied 50amp 'adapters' for different situations surrounding the use of a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It gives the user many options. Other 240v outlets that are not as common will not provide the Neutral and therefore not the options of the NEMA 14-50.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Wouldn't you then need to increase the size of the conductors feeding the new 'sub-panel'/breaker box?
Nothing in the NEC would require that as long as the feeder has the correct over current protection.
Of course, only one of his circuits could be used at a time without tripping the breaker feeding the sub panel.
Sponsored