• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clarification on Max Tow Package contents?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Why is max tow even an option if it helps your battery under load? This should be standard. If battery issues start popping up on trucks in the future it’s going to look bad for ford.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Why is max tow even an option if it helps your battery under load? This should be standard. If battery issues start popping up on trucks in the future it’s going to look bad for ford.
That’s like saying it will look bad for ford if people run their SR trucks out of juice. It’s an option for people who tow a lot or heavy loads. If people didn’t get it they only have themselves to blame.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Ask any Nissan LEAF owner about "Rapidgate."

Basically, the LEAF batteries are not cooled at all, so you can't fast-charge them (which generates a ton of heat) more than 1-2 times per day. The pack overheats, and then the charge-acceptance rate drops quite low so a "fast charge" isn't so fast.

If you are towing any significant distance, you will need to fast-charge a lot more often to make up for the lower economy. The battery cooling loop will allow the pack to accept a higher charge rate, getting you back on the road faster.

When I fast-charged the Lightning, I saw the pack temp gauge go up, and then come right back down to normal. Fast charged again an hour later (I was towing, getting 1.0 mi/kwh) and the temp gauge did the same, going up, but coming back down shortly.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
That’s like saying it will look bad for ford if people run their SR trucks out of juice. It’s an option for people who tow a lot or heavy loads. If people didn’t get it they only have themselves to blame.
I’d avoid a PR nightmare and just include whatever is best for the battery. It’s the most important component of the truck!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’d avoid a PR nightmare and just include whatever is best for the battery. It’s the most important component of the truck!
Everything is an engineering and cost trade off. Best for the batter would be to make it 3x as big as it is rated and then lock out the top and bottom 30%. Of course that would add $30k (or so) to the cost per truck so they don't do it.

Cooling is the same. If you drive around and less than max acceleration and towing / hauling a smaller load, you will be fine. Even get slightly better efficiency and payload without the extra equipment. Trade off is some power reductions under harsh conditions. The truck will pull power long before it impacts battery health.

Max tow adds cost, weight, and (a little) extra power consumption to reduce/eliminate that reduction.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I couldn't find the answer using the Search feature on this forum...

Did we ever get clarification on what the Max Tow package actually is?

We know it gets better cooling (though I haven't seen anywhere that explains what/how). I've read it might also have better brakes and stiffer suspension, but can't find anything confirming it. Also, are there any charging benefits (or benefits other than increased power output/240v outlet) with the upgraded Pro Power onboard?
Another information source for you to peruse……

https://www.[banned site]/threads/what’s-in-the-lightning’s-max-tow-package.622/

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The battery management system nannies would throttle regen/acceleration/charging speeds before you could cause damage to the battery, with or without Max Tow.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Lets answer the far easier question. It does NOT come with a TBC, Tow Mirrors, Pro Trailer Backup and no noticeable towing software.
The gas F150 Max Tow package does not include any of those features either, as far as I can tell.

Those features are included with the Tow Technology package (aside from Tow Mirrors).

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Are there any Ford Technicians on here that have access to repair diagrams showing the chillers and cooling loops on the base and max tow packages? Can't wait for Sandy to get his teardown videos up on the Lightning they received at the beginning of the month.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Maybe not anymore, but it always has historically. I'm ok with no having pro trailer backup, but the TBC is just bizarre not to include on a max tow package. Yes Ford I will tow a trailer that maxes out the truck without a fast way to activate the trailer brakes manually in case of an emergency.
Seems like it's been this way for some time. Here's an old thread discussing the same issue on the upcoming '21 F150s: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/

and if you read through the posts you'll see mention that their research was that the integrated controller had been an add-on (in addition to the tow package) for some time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
To follow up on this topic...

I added the Max Tow Package to my build, it's actual functionality is a little different than I thought when I ordered it (there is the same amount of cooling lines running around the vehicle).

From what I've gathered:
  • The max tow package adds a second compressor
  • Second compressor is dedicated to the chiller (chiller feeds cooling to all battery/motor/HV/charging components) and isolates the chiller from the cabin loop
  • Original compressor is now dedicated to climate
  • Without the Max Tow Package a single compressor controls both the cabin and the chiller.
So, the added cooling power to the Max Tow Package is essentially the same as without, but the chiller has been isolated to it's own compressor outside of the original loop.

My opinion; this would seem like the benefits would be more seasonal/geographical. Being in Oregon I'm on the edge of needing it or not (we do get a couple weeks of 100°F weather in the summers), it will probably be most useful while charging at DCFC while I wait in the cabin. If I lived in predominantly hot weather/used the truck in AG work I would probably find it more useful.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
watch MUNRO's videos on the Lightning tear-down, and you'll see the CHASSIS EXPOSED episode where they comment on this 'additional' compressor/chiller for the Max Tow option.

Now, the truck with only it's original compressor/chiller is PERFECTLY FINE for everyday use, and even while towing up to it's stated 5,000lb capacity. The battery is the only part of this picture that needs 'something' extra to provide ADDITIONAL towing capacity, which on my PRO gives it up to 7,700lbs towing capacity.
The effect of the second compressor/chiller is simply to KEEP the battery cooled when under heavy loads ABOVE the original 5,000lb towing capacity, and ONLY for that reason. It's not for charging cooling, it's for TOWING cooling. The battery is under a more extreme LOAD, when towing above 5,000lbs, and therefore needs the additional cooling to manage that.

Anyone who has any of the Lightning trims WITHOUT the Max Tow package have NO ISSUES with towing, at least at or under the stated towing limits for their trim and battery pack. Yes, the truck is certainly CAPABLE of up to 10,000lbs of towing, OR MORE, with ANY of the Lightning trim levels, since the truck is NO DIFFERENT between any of them, suspense wise. The difference is the BATTERY PACK size/capability. The SR is 5,000lb towing, otherwise 7,700lb with the extra cooling. The ER is 7,500lb towing, otherwise up to 10,000lb with the extra cooling.

No owner without the Max Tow package is somehow 'suffering' by not having the extra compressor/chiller, IT DOESN'T NEED the extra cooling.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
watch MUNRO's videos on the Lightning tear-down, and you'll see the CHASSIS EXPOSED episode where they comment on this 'additional' compressor/chiller for the Max Tow option.
I did.

The information I gave is almost direct from that video...did you watch it?

The effect of the second compressor/chiller is simply to KEEP the battery cooled when under heavy loads ABOVE the original 5,000lb towing capacity, and ONLY for that reason. It's not for charging cooling, it's for TOWING cooling. The battery is under a more extreme LOAD, when towing above 5,000lbs, and therefore needs the additional cooling to manage that.
Nope.

Watch the video, pretty short into it they show exactly what I said. Had nothing to do with towing cooling, or charging cooling. It literally seperates out the cabin temperature cooling loop from the rest of the truck. Making the single compressor going to the chiller more efficient.

Reactions: GDN

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
well, it has EVERYTHING to do with ADDITIONAL battery pack cooling - it's a DEDICATED chiller, rather than a 'shared' one...

the engineers are not going to ADD something that somehow doesn't 'make any difference'...

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
well, it has EVERYTHING to do with ADDITIONAL battery pack cooling - it's a DEDICATED chiller, rather than a 'shared' one...
Still nope.

It has everything to do with CHILLER cooling (I can use all caps too).

The Chiller cools all the High Voltage components. Motors, charging hardware, battery...its all on that chiller loop. AGAIN, this second compressor removes the cabin from the cooling loop. Making the original loop more efficient.
Sponsored