• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Concerns about your recently delivered Lightning?

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Hmm…that doesn’t seem right. With both the Volt & our Rav4 Prime - we’ve only ever had a L1 charger. Always get ~3-4 miles/hour, and 40-50 overnight. That’s with multiple chargers, at multiple locations.
Our ID.4 gets about 3 miles/hour on L1. I’d think the Lightning getting about two is probably about right due to inefficiencies over our cars.

Feels like a big misstep to not ship the Pro Charger with the truck.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hmm…that doesn’t seem right. With both the Volt & our Rav4 Prime - we’ve only ever had a L1 charger. Always get ~3-4 miles/hour, and 40-50 overnight. That’s with multiple chargers, at multiple locations.
Those are much more efficient vehicles. The Lightning gets far fewer miles out of the same kwhrs.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Only thing I've noticed is that in order to not get the 'Keep hands on the wheel' when in blue cruise is to always have some slight left or right turning pressure when it wants your hands on the wheel. Even if I'm resting my hands at 10 and 2 I get the damn keep the hands on the wheel.

When it goes into hands free mode, it's amazing. When in the left lane of a four lane highway it does kind of hug the center line though. Kinda sketchy being so close to semis and shit.
Shhh, this is my son's way of Blue cruise Light" do not recommend. # shoeabuse.

Ford F-150 Lightning Concerns about your recently delivered Lightning? Screenshot_2022-06-07-21-52-36-07_0ce57feeccaa51fb7deed04b4dbda235

BoreBrotherBore

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
RF Engineer
That is awesome. See you guys figured out the slight turning pressure trick too. I just keep my leg against the bottom of the wheel with a little turning pressure.

Otherwise everything is working great. Took a couple of my Vietnam vet uncles out for a ride today. Quite fun in Sport mode with traction control off. They about shit themselves the first time I let it go from a stand still.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It depends on your GOM estimate but based on EPA miles 1.4 kW x 11 hr x 2.4 mi/kwh should get you ~38 miles before charging losses. If your GOM is assuming 1.8 mi/kwh then 22 miles is probably right in the ballpark.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Only thing I've noticed is that in order to not get the 'Keep hands on the wheel' when in blue cruise is to always have some slight left or right turning pressure when it wants your hands on the wheel. Even if I'm resting my hands at 10 and 2 I get the damn keep the hands on the wheel.

When it goes into hands free mode, it's amazing. When in the left lane of a four lane highway it does kind of hug the center line though. Kinda sketchy being so close to semis and shit.
I read through the manual when it first came out a month or so back. If I recall in at least one of the modes you can tell it how you want "centered" in the lane. Left, center, right.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I read through the manual when it first came out a month or so back. If I recall in at least one of the modes you can tell it how you want "centered" in the lane. Left, center, right.
If it works the same as the Mach-e, you just nudge (with the steering wheel) the vehicle to where you want it in the lane, hold it a bit and then it will keep that location.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
You get 3-4 miles/hour because you have half the battery. Cut the 3 in half and the lightning gets 1.5 miles/hour on L1.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I need to search for that option. I noticed the same, it seems to hug the center line.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Our new Kia Sorento PHEV with all the 'automated' driving technology, only requires a slight movement, or 'nudge', of the wheel to let it know that you are alive and well. I love it.
When you need to 'take over' and drive it yourself, it simply allows you to and remains active in the background, ready to continue 'driving' when you let go.

On the other hand, I drove recently a Model 3 long-range to Texas from Georgia to the San Antonio Ford event, and did NOT love it's automated driving system - while it is similar, if you want to 'take over' the driving, or otherwise CORRECT it from taking you off the interstate and down an off-ramp, it requires a LOT or torque from the steering wheel, and it can SUDDENLY jerk the car one way or the other other as you 'take over' the wheel - it feels REALLY UNSAFE>>>>>> I'm sure other drivers behind me thought I was having a heart-attack or maybe even had a 'few too many'.... not good.
Also, what really got me is that when you do 'take over' the wheel, it automatically TURNS OFF the automated system, so that you can't simply decide to let go of the wheel when you are ready, but have to 'again' pull down the right stalk/wiper to 'active' the system again... not very good.

So, what I'm getting about the LIGHTNING's automated driving system is that you have a similar steering/lane control, but need to let it know periodically that you are alive and well, UNLESS you have the 'active' Blue Cruise, which allows for totally 'hands free' driving along certain mapped roads, with no requirement to touch or move the wheel periodically. It reads you eye movement, instead.

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
You get 3-4 miles/hour because you have half the battery. Cut the 3 in half and the lightning gets 1.5 miles/hour on L1.
That would apply to the battery percentage charged.

Lightning both has a large battery and relatively high consumption. It takes a lot of juice to charge quickly, and the same number of electrons doesn't get you as far.

So compared to a model 3 with the same power input, you take longer to charge (% charged/hour) and consume them quicker (miles charged/hour)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Our new Kia Sorento PHEV with all the 'automated' driving technology, only requires a slight movement, or 'nudge', of the wheel to let it know that you are alive and well. I love it.
When you need to 'take over' and drive it yourself, it simply allows you to and remains active in the background, ready to continue 'driving' when you let go.

On the other hand, I drove recently a Model 3 long-range to Texas from Georgia to the San Antonio Ford event, and did NOT love it's automated driving system - while it is similar, if you want to 'take over' the driving, or otherwise CORRECT it from taking you off the interstate and down an off-ramp, it requires a LOT or torque from the steering wheel, and it can SUDDENLY jerk the car one way or the other other as you 'take over' the wheel - it feels REALLY UNSAFE>>>>>> I'm sure other drivers behind me thought I was having a heart-attack or maybe even had a 'few too many'.... not good.
Also, what really got me is that when you do 'take over' the wheel, it automatically TURNS OFF the automated system, so that you can't simply decide to let go of the wheel when you are ready, but have to 'again' pull down the right stalk/wiper to 'active' the system again... not very good.

So, what I'm getting about the LIGHTNING's automated driving system is that you have a similar steering/lane control, but need to let it know periodically that you are alive and well, UNLESS you have the 'active' Blue Cruise, which allows for totally 'hands free' driving along certain mapped roads, with no requirement to touch or move the wheel periodically. It reads you eye movement, instead.
That is correct. It is also much similar to the Kia system - no hard jerk required to take over - just enough pressure to override the system (relatively small - no disruption to the vehicle). Putting our your turn signal also temporarily turns off the lane centering to let you change lanes easily. It then pops right back on. A very easy to use system on the Highway.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That would apply to the battery percentage charged.

Lightning both has a large battery and relatively high consumption. It takes a lot of juice to charge quickly, and the same number of electrons doesn't get you as far.

So compared to a model 3 with the same power input, you take longer to charge (% charged/hour) and consume them quicker (miles charged/hour)
That was my point. With the lightning and L1 charging, you will get 1.5 - 2 miles/hours of charge. For a smaller vehicle that uses fewer kWh to go the same distance, you're miles per hour charging at l1 will be higher.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
My job is getting estimates to put in 6 chargers. What would you say bare minimum kWh charger should be? I can let him know.
Sponsored