• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

contractors will buy millions of Lightnings

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
In case you had any doubt … here's a builder walking around a Lightning making it abundantly clear that a hot rod pickup that doesn't look like a joke and does provide job site power and home emergency backup power is an easy decision for their business.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
of course they will, but it will also be a LONG, LONG while before before they can.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And even longer for the grid to be able to handle all of them.
No. The vast majority of charging is done at night when there is excess capacity.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
There should be many more available in late 2022 and Early 2023. Many Business plan Capital Purchases well in advance based on Finances versus Emotions.

In addition, there is a good chance of Legislation passing this year that will give businesses large credits for buying EVs (such as the 30% that was in BBB).

Sponsored
OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
of course they will, but it will also be a LONG, LONG while before before they can.
Ford has doubled production (twice) and the "contractor" units will be bare bones, "hose out" as much as they will be the luxury models, so I'd like to think Ford will scale production to meet demand.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
And even longer for the grid to be able to handle all of them.
That's the advantage of fleet and light commercial – they don't need and won't be using the grid or the retail charge points.
Most light commercial (builders, contractors, trades, locksmiths, plumbers) and fleet (war,law,freight,service, delivery) will charge overnight and not drive far in a day. Most fleet will have their own depot or existing "take it home and charge" arrangements.
Also, these buyers are worried about (1) reliability and (2) operating costs – and of course total cost of ownership from purchase price to resale value, which means ICE are a no-go soon because resale value will be falling – not so much about features, build quality, service or fixing niggling problems (the way that retail owners tend to be concerned about every detail.)

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
No. The vast majority of charging is done at night when there is excess capacity.
Not correct. No such thing as access capacity. Power plants do not all run at max capacity 24/7. They are all brought on-line or off to meet damand. Increase of damand brings more plants on-line when they are normally off.

This means plants are now running more than they normally run or were designed for.

The grid cannot handle a total EV switch. Will cost billions of dollars amd years of constuction. And fossil fuel. plants are 100% required.

This is my job. I knownfrom experience. The politicianas are clueless as usual.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
That's the advantage of fleet and light commercial – they don't need and won't be using the grid or the retail charge points.
Most light commercial (builders, contractors, trades, locksmiths, plumbers) and fleet (war,law,freight,service, delivery) will charge overnight and not drive far in a day. Most fleet will have their own depot or existing "take it home and charge" arrangements.
Also, these buyers are worried about (1) reliability and (2) operating costs – and of course total cost of ownership from purchase price to resale value, which means ICE are a no-go soon because resale value will be falling – not so much about features, build quality, service or fixing niggling problems (the way that retail owners tend to be concerned about every detail.)
Read my other post. Has nothing to do with charge stations or when charging is done.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Not correct. No such thing as access capacity. Power plants do not all run at max capacity 24/7. They are all brought on-line or off to meet damand. Increase of damand brings more plants on-line when they are normally off.

This means plants are now running more than they normally run or were designed for.

The grid cannot handle a total EV switch. Will cost billions of dollars amd years of constuction. And fossil fuel. plants are 100% required.

This is my job. I knownfrom experience. The politicianas are clueless as usual.
Not going to debate it with you. Cite some sources, besides "I know from experience (sp)".

The transition to EVs will accompany a transition to cleaner energy, and battery storage also.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Not going to debate it with you. Cite some sources, besides "I know from experience (sp)".

The transition to EVs will accompany a transition to cleaner energy, and battery storage also.
30 years of engineering and designing power generarion plants. How is that for a source?

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Maybe I should trade in my 21 XLT for EV pickup!

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
On the grid power issue - they will come up with ways to meet the demand for charging the EV vehicles and it will also push them to innovate on new solutions as well.
If it wasn't for Tesla pushing EV's, none of the manufactures would even be thinking about them right now.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer
On the grid power issue - they will come up with ways to meet the demand for charging the EV vehicles and it will also push them to innovate on new solutions as well.
If it wasn't for Tesla pushing EV's, none of the manufactures would even be thinking about them right now.
Not saying they wont. Not going to happen overnight or the next 5 years.

And someone has to pay for it.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019LBRC 5.0,2022 Powerboost,2023 MaverickHybrid
I am a contractor with a mid-size fleet. I have looked into EV for my business. The numbers do not work out for now. EV Ford Transit vans currently lack adequate range & are not competitively priced, with very limited availability. EV pickups are also pricey, but likely unattainable for the next few years, in any case. In my opinion, practical EV use for small to mid-size contractors is still a ways out.
Sponsored