• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will MY22 Lightnings be Unicorns?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I predict the MY 2022 Lightnings will be the classic, premium, value holding, highest reselling F150 just like the first year Raptors came out.

Even the first year Raptors are fetching way over current Raptors....
Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Of all the electric trucks that are coming to market in the next few years, the 22-25 F150L is the only body-on-frame. (The exception to this could be the Atlis, but it’s hard to determine if that company is going to make it at this point.) Ford could probably incorporate the “skateboard” of the 14th Gen F150 into the 15th Gen without much additional investment and keep that going as an option. Ram and GM aren’t going to offer body-on-frame EVs, and even with its inefficiencies, the design is going to appeal to a lot of people over a unibody. For a customizable work truck it seems to make a lot of sense.

One advantage definitely is the ease of battery repair/replacement with the body-on-frame. Eight bolts and a service center can drop the battery down, open it and easily swap out bad modules, close it back up and bolt it in. Battery packs built into the Silverado, Revolution, Cybertruck and the future unibody Lightning - especially if they are “structural” - I think are going to be much more difficult to repair or upgrade. Those trucks will all be more efficient and appeal to a lot of buyers, but my gut feeling is that the body-on-frame electric F150 will be popular enough that Ford will keep on offering it as long as it’s going to keep selling body-on-frame gas F150s.

If they are going to be produced beyond 2025 (lots of parts) and are the only electric body-on-frame choice (adaptable, repairable, upgradeable, traditional appeal) then it stands to reason the first/lowest production year will be a desirable unicorn.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Or better yet. Imagine if they only make 2 years of F-150Ls. After which the F-150 model tag is saved for gas - Ford Blue The Lightning tag moves to Ford E.

Name in principle only but the 2022-23 F150L at that point would be a representation of the pivot in history for Ford. Enthusiasts will value that….well after I’m dead.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
One advantage definitely is the ease of battery repair/replacement with the body-on-frame. Eight bolts and a service center can drop the battery down, open it and easily swap out bad modules, close it back up and bolt it in. Battery packs built into the Silverado, Revolution, Cybertruck and the future unibody Lightning - especially if they are “structural” - I think are going to be much more difficult to repair or upgrade. Those trucks will all be more efficient and appeal to a lot of buyers, but my gut feeling is that the body-on-frame electric F150 will be popular enough that Ford will keep on offering it as long as it’s going to keep selling body-on-frame gas F150s.
I don't think buyers really care how easily replaceable a battery pack is if it is supposed to last the life of the vehicle.

That said, I think body on frame becomes more appealing when you look to customize a platform with different cab and bed configurations.

The big question is how much capability is Ford leaving on the table by continuing to use body on frame, and is that worth the tradeoff that the advantages of body on frame give you? A structural pack allows for more room for more batteries, less weight, and better efficiency. It is the design that Tesla, Lucid, GM, and I believe Volvo and BMW have started to use.

Ford seems to have a fair bit of room between the frame and the edge of the vehicle. On an ICE vehicle this is of very little consequence since the center tunnel already provides plenty of room for exhaust and the driveshaft. On an EV you may want the frame members pushed out as far as you can to leave more room in the center for batteries.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Or better yet. Imagine if they only make 2 years of F-150Ls. After which the F-150 model tag is saved for gas - Ford Blue The Lightning tag moves to Ford E.

Name in principle only but the 2022-23 F150L at that point would be a representation of the pivot in history for Ford. Enthusiasts will value that….well after I’m dead.
The reason I like the Lightning, and I'm sure many other people do, is it just looks like a truck. I hope Ford realizes this is a major selling point amd doesn't do anything too crazy with the redesign. But if they do get a little crazy and go too far with changes, for aerodynamics perhaps, then you make a great point the MY22-23 could be very desired.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Lightnings ARE unicorns!

Has anybody actually bought one?

Has anybody actually seen one at their dealers?

Mike

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Lightnings ARE unicorns!

Has anybody actually bought one?

Has anybody actually seen one at their dealers?

Mike
Yes, deliveries started last week. Examples all over the internet. Mine is being built tomorrow. As to OP, there will be changes that NEGATIVELY affect our '22s. For example, they wanted to include the standard Platinum auto-deploy power running boards, but could not get it done in time. They will be on the '23's and are a great feature. I've had them on numerous prior Ford trucks, almost cancelled my incoming Platinum order when informed it would have fixed boards, which are useless pants dirtying devices. Might still be a reason to cash in the rareness premium, take teh tax credit and wait for the next one.
Sponsored