• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Damn Tesla Cybertruck will have 1000-Volt architecture and V4 supercharging speed

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Apparently you don't realize, the faster you charge any battery decreases its life. I charge my lightning at home on my 80 amp pro charger, never use fast charger. I'd like my battery to last past the 8 yr warranty.
And if you bumped it down to 40A, it would be even better for the cells. When it comes to DCFC, the higher voltage allows lower current for the same kW speed.

The wife's EV6 and my Lightning ER share a 40 A EVSE without a problem...however, we are on different schedules. She doesn't work and usually drives during the day and charges before I get home.
Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I think the Lightning pro will always be the best value for the money but if you have the cash for a lariat or platinum, Tesla will probably outperform on every metric for the same price.
Maybe so, except for the looks. It makes me wonder what kind of people would want a truck that looks like it came from a star wars set. I love the fact that ford kept my lightning looking like a truck. Even better looking like an F150. Anyone that purchases the cybertruck are looking for attention, and will most likely get fed up with it in short order.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
And if you bumped it down to 40A, it would be even better for the cells. When it comes to DCFC, the higher voltage allows lower current for the same kW speed.

The wife's EV6 and my Lightning ER share a 40 A EVSE without a problem...however, we are on different schedules. She doesn't work and usually drives during the day and charges before I get home.
I don't believe my 80 amp charger will damage my battery. It's the 150 amp DC chargers I'm referencing. Using hone chargers utilize the on-board chargers located in the lightning where the DC fast chargers don't use those on-board chargers, instead charge using those two large pins under the fold down door. The SR battery has 1 charger & the ER battery has 2 chargers. I believe what we plug in at home actually aren't chargers, but are step up voltage transformers.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Apparently you don't realize, the faster you charge any battery decreases its life. I charge my lightning at home on my 80 amp pro charger, never use fast charger. I'd like my battery to last past the 8 yr warranty.
‘I have no idea who’s comment you are responding to or where you got that Idea. I have had only 5 KWh of fast charging for my Lightning and have been charging at 30 Amp max at home and 20-24 Amp on my vacation property. I operate mostly from 30-70 SOC. That is probably how I will be using it until superchargers come on line. I am not sure how you will carry your home with you on long distance travels but I will be using superchargers to close the gap a few times a year when I go far. I don’t care about 0.5% extra degradation enough to sleep by a level 2 charger for 8 hours.

p.s. It is not the speed batteries don’t like it is the heat.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
At what battery/vehicle age will there be a notable difference ?

I thought this was pretty interesting, but its a bit too short in time to be "relevant", but still interesting.
https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/impacts-of-fast-charging
For a cell I'm currently testing, 20 weeks of calendar life sitting at 55C. Just sitting there and having a Reference Performance Test (RPT) every four weeks. Capacity fell off a cliff and when we went to check on them a week after RPT5, they had started off gassing and swelled.

Testing the Lightning cell is still a couple of months out. I suspect we will start to disassemble a couple of modules next month...anyone know what types of adhesive they use and what I can use to defeat it? Monroe doesn't show their work :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored