• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Damn Tesla Cybertruck will have 1000-Volt architecture and V4 supercharging speed

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I would be curious about charging curve (How fast for how long). Also if Smi charging stations are funded mostly by businesses that purchase them, infrastructure may not be quite available for CT for a while.

even if it doesn't have a larger battery or more range than the lightning, being able to charge it up in 10-15 minutes sort of solves the range anxiety problem. hopefully ford can ramp up the charge speed.
Even though I am not a big fan of any Tesla’s made so far, I think range anxiety is not as much of an issue for Tesla owners even with the existing charging rates. They don’t wonder if they can juice up when they get to a supercharger.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
It sounds like there will be battery options on the Cybertruck. Since they are promising 500 miles of EPA range on the big battery version, I'd be betting it'll be close to a 200 kWh pack. It will only charge fast at the V4 Superchargers, which do not exist yet. At the V2 Superchargers, which are still the most common in many areas, they will still charge relatively slowly and even slower if the station is busy and they are splitting power between cars. I give Tesla credit for being way ahead in many regards, but don't pretend that the Cybertruck is going to be a towing road trip monster right out of the gate. It will take a bit for the Supercharger network to be rebuilt to take advantage of it's capabilities

H3IMDALL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Boxster GTS, Porsche Panamera Turbo
Occupation
Software Architect
I heard it can be promoted to a submarine at least once and mimic a barge for three minutes beforehand :). Maybe it’ll stop being vaporware someday.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It sounds like there will be battery options on the Cybertruck. Since they are promising 500 miles of EPA range on the big battery version, I'd be betting it'll be close to a 200 kWh pack. It will only charge fast at the V4 Superchargers, which do not exist yet. At the V2 Superchargers, which are still the most common in many areas, they will still charge relatively slowly and even slower if the station is busy and they are splitting power between cars. I give Tesla credit for being way ahead in many regards, but don't pretend that the Cybertruck is going to be a towing road trip monster right out of the gate. It will take a bit for the Supercharger network to be rebuilt to take advantage of it's capabilities
I will need to go back and relisten, but I'm fairly certain there was note that the chargers would be added and retrofitted to existing locations. Otherwise the V3 chargers are likely approaching 50% / saturation of all SC's. There will be no problem with the Cybertruck clogging up the Tesla network.

It will all depend on which model they make first, but if they put the top line out first, it will be a towing road trip monster out of the gate. Seeing what they've done with the Semi, using the Plaid motors, and battery, I put money on they'll hit 300 miles towing on the first shot and the existing network with the proliferation of V3 at 250kW v3 network will be charge it in less time than an ER Lightning in the 20 to 80% charge.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
But HIS> Fart Sounds
- For some context though , I have two boys and we rented Teslas to see if an electric vehicle would work for us and the one thing they miss is the farting sounds .

I’d also bet the percentage of people that own an F150 and do HIS will be less than 5 % as it’s simply not a good value compared to a regular old generator . I know 12 lightning owners now from all walks of life and none of us plan to get HIS .. For 4 grand installed , I’d get it tomorrow . For 10 grand installed , I’ll buy a generac .

Sponsored

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-e
- For some context though , I have two boys and we rented Teslas to see if an electric vehicle would work for us and the one thing they miss is the farting sounds .

I’d also bet the percentage of people that own an F150 and do HIS will be less than 5 % as it’s simply not a good value compared to a regular old generator . I know 12 lightning owners now from all walks of life and none of us plan to get HIS .. For 4 grand installed , I’d get it tomorrow . For 10 grand installed , I’ll buy a generac .
You can get a whole home generac for $10k? I always thought they were closer to $20k.

I'm excited to see what the aftermarket brings for V2H outside of Sunrun's current terrible monopoly.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Even though I am not a big fan of any Tesla’s made so far, I think range anxiety is not as much of an issue for Tesla owners even with the existing charging rates. They don’t wonder if they can juice up when they get to a supercharger.
*, for now.

😉

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The F150L is not cheap. I suspect the Cybertruck will be a better comparable value. If the Mach-E vs Model Y is to serve as a benchmark.
It all depends on what your definition of value is. I don't road trip My Lightning. 99% of my charging will be at home. Why would I pay twice the price for a vehicle that charges faster and has a higher range?

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
It all depends on what your definition of value is. I don't road trip My Lightning. 99% of my charging will be at home. Why would I pay twice the price for a vehicle that charges faster and has a higher range?
Where are you getting twice the price from? Cybertruck pricing hasn't been finalized or published as far as I know.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Where are you getting twice the price from? Cybertruck pricing hasn't been finalized or published as far as I know.
If you don't know the pricing, how can you tell me it's a better value?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
As I stated before, I'm using the Mach-E versus Model Y as a benchmark.
Then I'm using the Lightning vs Cybertruck as a benchmark.

The Lightning uses a lot of standard F150 parts making it less costly to produce. The Cybertruck will be unique and use a very expensive stainless steel exoskeleton for a body. Now, double the battery size and make all the components based off of 1000V instead of 400.

If that doesn't equal $150k I todays prices, not even taking into account the Inflation that may occur between now and whenever it debuts, then I have a bridge to sell you. It connects 2 Burroughs of NY and I'll sell it to ya cheap.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Then I'm using the Lightning vs Cybertruck as a benchmark.

The Lightning uses a lot of standard F150 parts making it less costly to produce. The Cybertruck will be unique and use a very expensive stainless steel exoskeleton for a body. Now, double the battery size and make all the components based off of 1000V instead of 400.

If that doesn't equal $150k I todays prices, not even taking into account the Inflation that may occur between now and whenever it debuts, then I have a bridge to sell you. It connects 2 Burroughs of NY and I'll sell it to ya cheap.
Model X plaid is $130K so $150K for top of the line CT is not a stretch but when, and if we get to the bottom of the line at volume, it may be around, I am thinking, $60K-$70K. Keep in mind, lightning may use a lot of standard pieces but CT will be using a lot less pieces and Tesla will likely be making more of those pieces in house. So a CT will likely cost Tesla less than Lightning will cost Ford but since Tesla has a bigger appetite for larger profit margin and Tesla fans are willing to pay more, we still may end up with higher prices for CT. Even with recession, it may be four years before Tesla has to drop prices on CT.

My pro will be a nail biter for some of the longer trips I may have to take but I don’t care because we have an ICE for that. Once the ICE is out of picture, if charging infrastructure is still as bad as it is now, I may consider a CT as a replacement for F150 despite the fact that I love blending in with lightning. That is if there is a $60K-$70K CT with reasonable specs available. Otherwise, I may just become sensible and get something small and efficient.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
CT will be $39k, CT will be $39k, CT will be $39k, CT will be $39k

For Sure! Tesla will price their CT with air suspension, better charging, more material for less than or equal to their $69k Model Y.
Sponsored