• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EA chargers on reduced rate for “update”?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Both of the EA chargers that i frequent are showing a message that they are limiting charging rate for a “coming update”. This has been going in for two weeks. The stations are charging around 60kW. Anyone else seeng this? Considering the lack of high speed charging options around here this is very annoying. I’m halfway wondering if they are trying to reduce the losses they are seeing on their per minute charging stations. Conveniently, they are still charging the “up to 350kw” rate instead of the “up to 90kW” rate. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Same message on the ones in St. Charles, Mo. The charge here is by the kWh, so not related to the per minute scenario.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have not seen this at my two favorite stations as of last charge Friday evening was 86 kWh in 45 minutes, mean throughput 115KW, peak was 147 KW

I'll keep my eye out for this, if it becomes the norm, then it's only a 0.7 cent [0.007] benefit to use EA DCFC, so home charging with all the comforts will outweigh the tiny 60 cent savings.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I forgot there was actually a third station in Burlington, MA that had the same issue. I haven't been to the Tewksbury, MA station recently so not sure about that one. The stations with this issue are Manchester, Nashua and Burlington.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I was at Wrentham this afternoon, got a peak flow of 147 KW, but as expected when I neared the 78% point it was running at 60KW, mean rate was 121 KW for the full 45 minute session.

Ford F-150 Lightning EA chargers on reduced rate for “update”? 1674510955866
Ford F-150 Lightning EA chargers on reduced rate for “update”? 1674511029835

Sadly 2 of four terminals were down and one had an Audi squatting at 60+ minutes of idle time for zero penalty fees.

I had to wait ~10 minutes for another Audi to finish his charge to 80%, he promptly moved out for me, then I charged 12% to 80%, while I ran my session 3 EV vehicles stopped hoping to charge, Hyundai, Mach-E, Ionic they gave up and left seeing I was still early in my session

Last edited:

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
This has been going on at nearly all the EA chargers I've stopped at since picking up my Lightning end of December. Too many EA fanboys or apologists want to be in denial over this, but it's a pretty widespread ordeal. There was definitely an update pushed to many of these chargers as they now display the message about reduced charge rate, when they did not before, you just had to plug in and see what you would get... And customer support people had no info or answers, but usually felt compelled to offer up excuses like "cold weather" being the most common.

Too bad there's no true competition to put some pressure on EA...

Glad I do 99% charging at home. Although the EA station closest to my house, just a few miles down the road, has been working just fine. But they installed that one less than a year ago.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I forgot there was actually a third station in Burlington, MA that had the same issue. I haven't been to the Tewksbury, MA station recently so not sure about that one. The stations with this issue are Manchester, Nashua and Burlington.
I saw it in Manchester on Monday night. It gave me an error message on the app as well which I ignored because it was charging

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My nearest EA had this message in early January. Charge speeds limited to about 50KW. I was back there Wednesday expecting the worst, and thankfully the message was gone and my MME charged at over 100KW.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just got home from a road trip to/from Nashua, EA-Wrentham station-1 was acting weird, it let me start my charging session, ramped up to 138 KW, then about every 2 minutes the display screen rebooted, at one point a seen a WINDOWS bootup screen (LOL). Periodically the screen would blank out and the timer & total KW delivered would zero out, eventually the app session also forgot I was attached to the terminal.

The truck continued taking on energy, from 23% to 80% per the trucks onboard display.

No problem stopping the session as I had a 80% limiter to force stop when it was reached, the charging stopped and slowly the charge summer came up and disappeared before I could see if it was officially "comp'd"

Nothing came in on my text notifications, nor on the charge session history.

NICE another 160 mile round trip for free, that's the second time in as many months !!

BTW, another Lightning was just finishing up as I pulled into the lot, but another vehicle (Audi) was in the standby queue. By the time I finished, another Lightning pulled up adjacent to the EA terminals, they went into the mall without charging.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Yep. I saw this on EA stations in PA, NY, NH and VT ( although the VT station did not display the message, it was still throttled at 60 kW) last weekend. Also, it seemed to be primarily the 350 kW units that were throttled. I could get 147 out of the 150 kW unit right next to the throttled 350 kW unit.
We love traveling in our Lightning, but the charging infrastructure is actually getting worse than it was last fall when we first started road-tripping the Lightning. I was hoping for continual improvement, but that doesn’t seem likely. We are considering taking the Tesla to Colorado to avoid the charging hassle, but the Lightning is so much more comfortable. I can’t wait until we can charge the Lightning at Superchargers!
Sponsored