• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
NOTICE: Ford has recently released a TSB 22-2117 that addresses the stuck APIM update issue cause by the failed 1.7.1 OTA. I am attaching this TSB to this post. Anyone willing to test it out ? Apparently, all you needs is FDRS, an USB mini adapter (something like this), an USB A to A male cable (something like this). If you already own an FDRS license, this is an additional $12 investment. Definitely worth a try.

You will need to access the APIM direct programming interface by removing the driver side floor console side panel (details are in TSB), connect the USB mini adapter to the exposed interface then connect the USB A to A male to the adapter and to your PC. You need to have your Mongoose VCI connected with FDRS running as well to execute the procedure described in the TSB
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Wait, for the "dealer fix" you do not need the mongoose? That would be much more appealing than buying the mongoose and/or jacking around with the dealer.

EDIT - See above, looks like you do need the Mongoose.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Jesse, just curious if there is a simple explanation for what is actually going on with the typical APIM/USB update procedure. I mean step-by-step.

1. USB stick with files copied to it, via FDRS, is inserted into the trucks USB port.
2. USB device is detected by the truck (by what module? Gateway?)
3. USB storage is indexed
4. USB files are "recognized" as an update and the Sync screen responds with "Updating System" notification. But technically the ONLY thing that is happening is that the files on the USB stick are being copied somewhere (?) onboard the truck.
5. After the files are copied successfully, the Sync screen prompts the user to "Restart the Truck" I assume that at this point NOTHING has been updated or overwritten or altered in any way?
6. Restarting the truck is the first opportunity for the new files (not the copy on the USB, but rather the copy that was previously copied from the USB) to be "processed".
7. After whatever "processing" the new updated files actually means, there is some point in that procedure that the truck is supposed to notify the user that the update was successfull and the USB stick can be removed.

First, I'm sure that I probably have already made some errors in the 7 steps as I understand them, so feel free to correct anything that needs to be.
But the biggest question I have is that if Step 4 is when the files on the USB are copied to the onboard storage location (temporary location I assume?), then what is the significance of the USB stick still needing to be present in the USB port after step 5?
Restarting the truck (step 6) is after the USB stick has provided the transfer of the update files. What does the truck need the USB stick for beyond that point?

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Wait, for the "dealer fix" you do not need the mongoose? That would be much more appealing than buying the mongoose and/or jacking around with the dealer.
Nope, this is just a “fastboot” procedure to kick your APIM out of the failed 1.7.1 OTA purgatory. Once done, you need to proceed normally with FDRS and Mongoose cable to update your APIM. If you have a USB flash drive with your APIM update ready, you don’t need FDRS to kick off your update. Just insert your USB flash drive while your ignition is KOER, it should kick of within few minutes

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I’ll volunteer for the TSB. Have stuff on its way, will be here in the morning
I can’t wait for your test results tomorrow, especially if successful, I would want to update the guide with exact steps to follow. So please make sure you document each step FDRS instructs you to do

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jesse, just curious if there is a simple explanation for what is actually going on with the typical APIM/USB update procedure. I mean step-by-step.

1. USB stick with files copied to it, via FDRS, is inserted into the trucks USB port.
2. USB device is detected by the truck (by what module? Gateway?)
3. USB storage is indexed
4. USB files are "recognized" as an update and the Sync screen responds with "Updating System" notification. But technically the ONLY thing that is happening is that the files on the USB stick are being copied somewhere (?) onboard the truck.
5. After the files are copied successfully, the Sync screen prompts the user to "Restart the Truck" I assume that at this point NOTHING has been updated or overwritten or altered in any way?
6. Restarting the truck is the first opportunity for the new files (not the copy on the USB, but rather the copy that was previously copied from the USB) to be "processed".
7. After whatever "processing" the new updated files actually means, there is some point in that procedure that the truck is supposed to notify the user that the update was successfull and the USB stick can be removed.

First, I'm sure that I probably have already made some errors in the 7 steps as I understand them, so feel free to correct anything that needs to be.
But the biggest question I have is that if Step 4 is when the files on the USB are copied to the onboard storage location (temporary location I assume?), then what is the significance of the USB stick still needing to be present in the USB port after step 5?
Restarting the truck (step 6) is after the USB stick has provided the transfer of the update files. What does the truck need the USB stick for beyond that point?
I’ll try to get a look at this in the am and have some kind of answer

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
All the adapters for the TSB are coming Wednesday. My FDRS license has been expired so ill need to get it again. I dont have the Mongoose so ill be attempting this with the Nano (fingers crossed i dont brick anything).

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Update. After 6 hours everything is up to date. Looks like I lost all my forscan changes such as glare free lighting but hopefully tomorrow blue cruise works. Thanks again everyone for getting this worked out.

CUL8ER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Update. After 6 hours everything is up to date. Looks like I lost all my forscan changes such as glare free lighting but hopefully tomorrow blue cruise works. Thanks again everyone for getting this worked out.
Was this for the IPC? And was it the main F120 file that took this long?

Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
All the adapters for the TSB are coming Wednesday. My FDRS license has been expired so ill need to get it again. I dont have the Mongoose so ill be attempting this with the Nano (fingers crossed i dont brick anything).
If you are able to do the "dealer fix" for your stuck 1.7.1. I believe (or hope) that your OTAs would start back up. If that is the case, do you really want to risk it with the Nano?

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
After clarifying certain things in this TSB with Jesse, you don’t need the ethernet cable or adapter. You will need USB mini adapter and USB A to A cable with FDRS and your Mongoose cable connected to ODB2 port. I have updated my previous post with details.

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
If you are able to do the "dealer fix" for your stuck 1.7.1. I believe (or hope) that your OTAs would start back up. If that is the case, do you really want to risk it with the Nano?
You are not risking anyrhing with Nano as long as you stay away from FDRS Network Scan and/or CCM module update. If you need to create USB update flash drive for modules such as APIM, TCU or GWM, Nano will work just as good as the Mongoose interface

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
@Whoskyle not sure what you have ordered, but aparently you don’t need ethernet adapter and cable. See my updated post here for details.

Please DM me once you attempted the repair
Sponsored