• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Efficiency numbers (m/kWh) with Splash Guards/Mudflaps?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
There's been a few days this week that, after sitting in the sun all day, the truck has been warm enough to drive home with the cabin heater turned off. 52 mile commute, 70% at 73mph and I got 1.9 and 2.0 mi/kWh.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I have the mudflaps. Range loss is negligible and not noticeable for me.

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I added the mud flaps at about 1000 miles and I have not noticed any difference. I have the electric folding mirrors and have found that speeds over 45 or so MPH that folding them makes about a 10% improvement. Aero is a big factor, but I don't think mud flaps disrupt it that much. Temperature is big factor as well. I have 2500 miles on my truck now and I reset Trip 2 when I took delivery on Jan. 5. It shows 2.1 Miles/KW over the life of the truck. 80 percent of my driving is under 55 MPH. The other 20% is highway 65-70 mph. Most of the driving has been under 45 degrees F. I have a set departure time 3 days a week and precondition those days. On a couple of warm days in the 60s / low 70s I have gotten 3.1 miles/kw on trips that when in the 40s, I get 2.3 or so.

I plan on making another YouTube video with my observations in the next few weeks. Here is a link to my channel if you want to follow. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcEci9ekx7-DPrXuh8uKrGQ

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
I added the mud flaps at about 1000 miles and I have not noticed any difference. I have the electric folding mirrors and have found that speeds over 45 or so MPH that folding them makes about a 10% improvement. Aero is a big factor, but I don't think mud flaps disrupt it that much. Temperature is big factor as well. I have 2500 miles on my truck now and I reset Trip 2 when I took delivery on Jan. 5. It shows 2.1 Miles/KW over the life of the truck. 80 percent of my driving is under 55 MPH. The other 20% is highway 65-70 mph. Most of the driving has been under 45 degrees F. I have a set departure time 3 days a week and precondition those days. On a couple of warm days in the 60s / low 70s I have gotten 3.1 miles/kw on trips that when in the 40s, I get 2.3 or so.

I plan on making another YouTube video with my observations in the next few weeks. Here is a link to my channel if you want to follow. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcEci9ekx7-DPrXuh8uKrGQ
Really good info! Thank you.

that’s actually a pretty crazy large improvement with mirrors folded, interesting!

from your experience, it seems warmer temps on the way really will make a substantial difference. Even though I know this is true, it’s interesting to see the numbers. Reassuring that my numbers aren’t as far off as some people would lead me to believe. Thanks.

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
I am getting 2.7 - 3.4, so average of 3mi/kWh on my 17 mile one-way commute. Uphill both ways. Lol. J/K.
I added the front mud flaps and no difference. I will add the rear this weekend. Hopefully, no difference. I figure the tires block most drag.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
I am getting 2.7 - 3.4, so average of 3mi/kWh on my 17 mile one-way commute. Uphill both ways. Lol. J/K.
I added the front mud flaps and no difference. I will add the rear this weekend. Hopefully, no difference. I figure the tires block most drag.
You got me…I was starting to get mad! Haha

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
The Lightning is a massive EV so 1.7 - 2 mi/kWh seems acceptable.
For reference my BMW i3 average is 4.6 mi/kWh and Model 3 is 6.3 mi/kWh both using same speed and same 18 mile route, most of that is 63 - 70 mph.
6.3 mi/kWh on Model 3 with ~65mph is amazing, especially compare to less than 2 mi/kWh with Lightning, that 3-3.5x better. I cannot believe it.

XLT Jeffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR
Being able to fold mirrors while driving at any speed should not be possible imo.

Just a matter of time before cameras replace mirrors.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
1.8 avg in Illinois in the winter with AT tires is right in line with what I would expect.

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
Ok, I had some time this afternoon. Stopped by auto store to pick up missing part from order. I put the rear on and will see if it effects kWH after about a week.

Ford F-150 Lightning Efficiency numbers (m/kWh) with Splash Guards/Mudflaps? 9F91A30C-0CD0-4E7D-9455-8F249AE88C27

Sponsored

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Splash guards have a negligible impact.

Yes, speed has a huge impact.

Temperatures have a huge impact. Set a departure time, and on a trip make sure the chargers are in the navigation, which will warm the battery 18.7 miles before the charger.

Terrain has a huge impact. Some people live in a flat land. Some people have hills. Some drive up them, some just seem to go downhill. All has an impact.

You are driving a brick.

On a recent trip with my Mach-E, I drove 2,960 miles from SE Michigan to Florida, and back. Speeds in the 73 - 77 mile range. My lowest efficiency leg was 2.5, my highest was 3.0. That's a spread of about 25%. Going down the hills of Tennessee vs. going up the hills of Tennessee. Driving across the middle of Florida vs headed back up the coast.
Would you mind telling me where the in route battery conditioning info comes from? I know I saw something about that being an added feature in one of the recent updates, but I can't find anything more that explains how it works in detail.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Yeah, I actually tried preconditioning the other morning as well because I was curious and wanted to prepare for my road trip. Took a ton of energy (I was plugged in still) but I did see a slight difference as well. Not practical for my daily driving, but I’ll probably use it before I leave on the first leg of my trip.
I thought I would pay attention to my drive this morning. I remote started (while plugged in) my truck about 8 minutes before I left. since i remoted started, that usually goofs up "this trip" so I reset "trip 1" in my driveway. Temperature was 28-29F, 25.1 miles to work, 75% highway 60-71mph, clear roads, light winds, flat terrian. Finished with 2.1 mile/kwh

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Would you mind telling me where the in route battery conditioning info comes from? I know I saw something about that being an added feature in one of the recent updates, but I can't find anything more that explains how it works in detail.

If the charger is set in the nav, it warms the battery starting at 18.7 miles (30km).

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello All!

I’ve been following everyone’s efficiency numbers and I seem to be on the low side. Doesn’t matter if mostly highway (55-60mph) interstate (70 mph) or around town. I usually end up around 1.7 kWh. My average over my 700 miles so far is 1.8 kWh. I do all the “things” not goosing it, getting 100% regen scores, not using cabin heat, etc. Yes, where I am is wintertime…but even at 40-50 degrees it doesn't change much. I just saw a trip report of someone in Colorado, driving 600 miles in 20-30 degree temps and averaged 2.3-2.5 m/kWh!

So, here is my question. Does anyone else on here have Mudflaps installed?? That is the only thing I can think of that is hampering me. Is it screwing up the aerodynamics that much? Mine are the Ford splash guards that say “Lightning” on them. Would love to hear experiences from others in cold climates right now with Mudflaps. I have a Pro with 18” factory AT tires.

Thanks for reading everyone!
I have driven about 500 miles since I installed the mudflaps and I don't see any change to efficiency. Whenever I see these large efficiency numbers that others reports I wonder if they are getting that info from the Fordpass EV Driving screen or if they are actually calculating it. If they are getting from the Fordpass app, they are being deceived. That thing is just about useless. It misses half of my trips and it gives wild numbers both high and low. The best way to check your miles/kW is percent of battery used vs miles driven.
Sponsored