• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electricity America and overall charging Epic Fail

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Just look at EA’s own map. If you filter for “coming soon” they only show 7 new locations “coming soon” in the entire US. One east of the Mississippi. That one east of the Mississippi is in Hartford where they already have a station. From what i can tell EA has pretty much given up on expanding their network.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
The reality is road tripping in a non-Tesla EV is an early adopter unfortunate at this stage of the game. There are plenty of merits to the Lightning but with the current state EV charging infrastructure, taking long road trips is not one of them. This will of course improve over time, but will it outpace the amount of EVs coming out in the near future?

Not trying to rip on you, but your blanket statement is not accurate. I have driven large swaths of the American west, American midwest, and American southwest in an CCS compatible EV and have NEVER been stranded. For the past 3 years I have done a once ever other month drive between Denver and Scottsdale in either an Audi e-Tron or a Porsche Taycan have never had an issue. I am on a current trip right now and had the best charging experiences to date on Electrify America. While I have had my Lightning Lariat for 3 months now, I have used it primarily as a side hustle vehicle. When the weather warms up a little, and I put on different tires, I am looking forward to road tripping in the rig.

This picture below was taken last Saturday in Trinidad, CO and is the best charging experience I have had in three years on the EA network. I will not see these charging speeds in my Lightning, but the picture below is a testament to how well Electrify America can work. Obviously, Electrify America is not perfect, and we need greater map coverage, but it is not as bad as people claim it to be. This picture was taken last Saturday in Trinidad, CO and is the fastest charging experience I have had in three years on the EA network.

Ford F-150 Lightning Electricity America and overall charging Epic Fail 20230128_091821

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just look at EA’s own map. If you filter for “coming soon” they only show 7 new locations “coming soon” in the entire US. One east of the Mississippi. That one east of the Mississippi is in Hartford where they already have a station. From what i can tell EA has pretty much given up on expanding their network.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EA is going to install 200 locations over the next 5 years with TA.
EA is going to double the stations at Bank of America locations. Last year they had 46 locations, by the end of 2023 will have 90 locations.
EA is going to install charging at 25 IKEA locations.
They raised $450 million from Siemens and VB added more cash to double the system between 2022 and 2026.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EA is going to install 200 locations over the next 5 years with TA.
EA is going to double the stations at Bank of America locations. Last year they had 46 locations, by the end of 2023 will have 90 locations.
EA is going to install charging at 25 IKEA locations.
They raised $450 million from Siemens and VB added more cash to double the system between 2022 and 2026.
The press releases are super exciting. Kind of like Cybertruck.

Sponsored

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Why do we try to hang the entire EV infrastructure on EA? Their primary business objective is to satisfy the obligations spelled out in the VW group “dieslegate” fiasco.
The Blue Oval Network has partner agreements with at least 7 different charging networks. EA is the largest, but not the only one. I would like to see EVGo, ChargePoint and Shell Recharge step up and try to compete with EA so there is competition. We don’t need EA to be bigger and more dominant, we need there to be choices in charging so we can vote with our $$$

Right now EVGo seems to be stepping it up on a regional basis. I’m hoping their partnership with GM will drive that to be a more national approach. It’s also promising that Shell recharge is buying up some smaller networks to expand their presence, they just need to step up their standard station from 50 kW to 150 kW. Chargepoint’s business model is a bit curious and doesn’t seem to ensure a uniform customer experience. They also seem to be plagued by The 50 kW station syndrome in most of the country

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The press releases are super exciting. Kind of like Cybertruck.

Bwhahahahha. That is pretty funny.

I guess the trick is that if you live in a state that is not on board for EV adoption - like Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, West Virginia, Wyoming, or Louisiana - or live in a remote part of the US like the eastern Montana or the Dakotas, then you should really do your research on whether an EV is the right vehicle for you at this point in time.

On top of that, if you cannot understand how to use the tools at hand to figure out charger status, then an EV maybe not the right vehicle for you. Plugshare should be your best friend if you own an EV. A person should rarely, if ever, be surprised to know the working status of a charger in advance of arrival.

At the end of the day, charging networks place chargers in locations where they will make money. If you live in Lubbock, TX, which has extremely low EV adoption and is off any major highway, then maybe an EV is not the right car if you road trip a lot. Pretty simple.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

I guess the trick is that if you live in a state that is not on board for EV adoption - like Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, West Virginia, Wyoming, or Louisiana - or live in a remote part of the US like the eastern Montana or the Dakotas, then you should really do your research on whether an EV is the right vehicle for you at this point in time.

On top of that, if you cannot understand how to use the tools at hand to figure out charger status, then an EV maybe not the right vehicle for you. Plugshare should be your best friend if you own an EV. A person should rarely, if ever, be surprised to know the working status of a charger in advance of arrival.

At the end of the day, charging networks place chargers in locations where they will make money. If you live in Lubbock, TX, which has extremely low EV adoption and is off any major highway, then maybe an EV is not the right car if you road trip a lot. Pretty simple.
You have nerve. Expecting people to research things before buying, understand pros and cons, make intelligent, or at least informed decisions? Who the hell do you think you are? ;) :p

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Why do we try to hang the entire EV infrastructure on EA? Their primary business objective is to satisfy the obligations spelled out in the VW group “dieslegate” fiasco.
The Blue Oval Network has partner agreements with at least 7 different charging networks. EA is the largest, but not the only one. I would like to see EVGo, ChargePoint and Shell Recharge step up and try to compete with EA so there is competition. We don’t need EA to be bigger and more dominant, we need there to be choices in charging so we can vote with our $$$

Right now EVGo seems to be stepping it up on a regional basis. I’m hoping their partnership with GM will drive that to be a more national approach. It’s also promising that Shell recharge is buying up some smaller networks to expand their presence, they just need to step up their standard station from 50 kW to 150 kW. Chargepoint’s business model is a bit curious and doesn’t seem to ensure a uniform customer experience. They also seem to be plagued by The 50 kW station syndrome in most of the country
As an example, this is the area I primarily travel in. This picture is EA stations only
Ford F-150 Lightning Electricity America and overall charging Epic Fail 428B70DC-6969-4400-B801-00C977C315F5

This picture is every other network EXCEPT EA.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electricity America and overall charging Epic Fail 8F707832-1B42-4512-B778-DFE3E446A928

As I see it, the problem is not what EA is doing as much as it is what every other network is NOT doing. There is no competition and therefore no incentive for any of them to improve.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have nerve. Expecting people to research things before buying, understand pros and cons, make intelligent, or at least informed decisions? Who the hell do you think you are? ;) :p

Exactly!

"What do you mean I should have a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage to get faster charging speeds at home? No one told me that before I bought the truck!"

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
When will charging stations offer air for tires? trash & recycle bins? and restrooms, especially when restaurants are not available. Restrooms should be part of the charging station anyway. Should be a law...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

I don’t have a problem with charging, i have a problem with EA’s poor (and declining) reliability and seeming lack of interest to expand their network. Around here EA is the best and only option for DCFC. There are no other operators with stations over 62.5kW. I want EA to do better.

Maybe Shell or EVgo can jump in and fill the gap but that still hasn’t started happening yet.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don’t have a problem with charging, i have a problem with EA’s poor (and declining) reliability and seeming lack of interest to expand their network. Around here EA is the best and only option for DCFC. There are no other operators with stations over 62.5kW. I want EA to do better.

Maybe Shell or EVgo can jump in and fill the gap but that still hasn’t started happening yet.
What do people generally think of EVGo’s system? I’ve primarily used EA and the reliability sucks, the lockouts happen and are frustrating, but the pricing structure is dead simple to understand.

I tried to use an EVGo and…I’m not good enough if at math to figure out which plan I need to be on. So despite downloading the app, I just continued on to the nearest EA.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
when the wife says I do not trust this for long trips, then there is no going back.

I do not need to use 3 apps to be able to get somewhere. To be honest, I always viewed people complaining about this as Karens until it happened to me.

on top of it is that the alternate location had 150kwh chargers but one was maxing out at 50kwh and the second one at 75kwh.

again the truck is fantastic, but the charging network sucks. If ford really makes 200k electric trucks, the current charging network will kill the brand. They need to fix this. Talk with local politicians or whatever they have to do to fix it.
Get politicians involved? Seriously?

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Fast DC charging (non-Tesla) is the “illegitimate child” of the EV industry- no one loves it, and no one will accept responsibility for it!
The solution is simple, really: if fast dc charging was offered at $1/kWh, no operator could afford to have a charger down, and there would be a waiting list, if not a bidding war, for new installations. Until serious money can be made in fast dc charging (that’s the American way, works every time it’s tried), the problems aren’t going away.
Tesla Supercharging works because people were pouring capital into Tesla stock faster than Tesla knew how else to use it- so they vertically integrated, and gambled on capitalizing the world’s best dedicated charging infrastructure- to sell more cars, and make more money.
Sponsored