• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electricity America and overall charging Epic Fail

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
@Ford Motor Company I am in the middle of a 260 mile roundtrip and have not been able to make it home yet because of your partnership with electricity America.

the ford navigation system made me plan a stop at the Jersey shore outlet mall to charge, but non of the chargers work.

if you do not fix the charging network then it is better you stop making and selling electric trucks.

today was the first day I felt regret about selling the Tesla.

The f-150 Lightning is a great truck, but you are handicapping it with this charger crap.
Sponsored

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Based on the title alone I knew this message was from a Tesla owner.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Not that there's anything wrong with it.
The supercharger network is taken care of by its users.
The other networks treat the facilities like poo.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@Ford Motor Company I am in the middle of a 260 mile roundtrip and have not been able to make it home yet because of your partnership with electricity America.

the ford navigation system made me plan a stop at the Jersey shore outlet mall to charge, but non of the chargers work.

if you do not fix the charging network then it is better you stop making and selling electric trucks.

today was the first day I felt regret about selling the Tesla.

The f-150 Lightning is a great truck, but you are handicapping it with this charger crap.
Check every location with PlugShare.

Use A Better Route Planner to plan any trip.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Check every location with PlugShare.

Use A Better Route Planner to plan any trip.
when the wife says I do not trust this for long trips, then there is no going back.

I do not need to use 3 apps to be able to get somewhere. To be honest, I always viewed people complaining about this as Karens until it happened to me.

on top of it is that the alternate location had 150kwh chargers but one was maxing out at 50kwh and the second one at 75kwh.

again the truck is fantastic, but the charging network sucks. If ford really makes 200k electric trucks, the current charging network will kill the brand. They need to fix this. Talk with local politicians or whatever they have to do to fix it.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I have owned a bmw i3 rex, vw e-golf, tesla Model Y, and have a wrangler 4XE.

I am far from being a Tesla fan boy. Very Far! But if they got one thing right, it is the charging network.

they first built the network and then the cars in volume.

Or do we just have to be extremist and say that you are either on one side or the other?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I found this youtube video interesting regarding this issue:

These are Tesla believers, but they discovered the Lightning GOM was more accurate than Tesla, but Tesla folks don't realize it, or have charging anxiety, because there are always reliable chargers along the way it isn't a problem.

I agree, a reliable public charging network must come ASAP.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
when the wife says I do not trust this for long trips, then there is no going back.

I do not need to use 3 apps to be able to get somewhere. To be honest, I always viewed people complaining about this as _____until it happened to me.

on top of it is that the alternate location had 150kwh chargers but one was maxing out at 50kwh and the second one at 75kwh.

again the truck is fantastic, but the charging network sucks. If ford really makes 200k electric trucks, the current charging network will kill the brand. They need to fix this. Talk with local politicians or whatever they have to do to fix it.
Unfortunate. This is not new news. Too many people are buying EVs without understanding the current state of charging, and the need to plan trips. There are used trucks and SUVs, across brands, because of this.

Hope you find something that works for you.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Unfortunate. This is not new news. Too many people are buying EVs without understanding the current state of charging, and the need to plan trips. There are used trucks and SUVs, across brands, because of this.

Hope you find something that works for you.
I do not believe this is the right answer. They just need to build more charging stations.

the truck itself is fantastic. I do not need to find anything else. Defending the indefensible against any reason leads to poor outcomes.

if something is broken, the letā€™s fix it.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE

These are Tesla believers, but they discovered the Lightning GOM was more accurate than Tesla, but Tesla folks don't realize it, or have charging anxiety, because there are always reliable chargers along the way it isn't a problem.

i do not know how they do not arrest the guy for saying that the Modely has 320 miles. I am talking purely about charging network.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not believe this is the right answer. They just need to build more charging stations.

the truck itself is fantastic. I do not need to find anything else. Defending the indefensible against any reason leads to poor outcomes.

if something is broken, the letā€™s fix it.
That's not going to happen overnight. It's not going to happen in 2023. There is $7.5B set to be spent on charging stations across the country with plans filed by every state. Some plans aren't very many chargers, some are many. And companies like EA doing their own thing too.

But, it's not going to happen in any short period of time, that's reality. So, if you don't want to use PlugShare, A Better Route Planner, etc. in combination, then either don't take trips or don't drive an EV that isn't Tesla. That's simply reality.

2,000 Ford dealers have to put in high speed chargers. That won't happen this year either.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Here's the best way to navigate charging and quickly get home:
  • Use the Plugshare app to plot fast charge stations, sort by 50 kW +, but aim for 150 kW Electrify America when at all possible
  • If set up with Blue Oval "Plug & Charge" roll up and plug in the truck* (alternative below)
  • Charge to 80% tops, ideally stop charging and move on whenever it drops below 130 kW. If you have chargers every 120+ miles this should be no problem.
  • You will likely be charging to ~65% and draining to 10-20% most of the time.
*Alternative: open the EA app, select station and charger (100100-01 = charger #1), swipe to start the charger, plug in.

Troubleshooting:
  • Check Plugshare for bad chargers
  • 30 kW = bad cooling loop, move to another charger
  • Trouble initiating: try holding the top of the plug flush to the truck while starting the charge
  • EA app says you are still charging at the previous location: log out and force quit app
Other:
  • EA sucks and leadership should be fired.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
To be clear here, Teslaā€˜s chargers are in fact Tesla own. Ford owns zero chargers. Yes the various charging networks suck in comparison to Tesla, but itā€™s not Fords fault.

The closest shell station to my house dispenses diesel at a rate of about 1 gallon per minute. This isnā€™t the fault of my diesel vehicle and I donā€™t call out the manufacturer for a problem outside their control. I call out the station owner and when he doesnā€™t fix it (3yrs now) I take my business elsewhere.

The problem here is we bought into an emerging mode of transit, and until itā€™s more widely adopted thereā€™s going to be challenges (some significant, some not). That reality isnā€™t going to work for everyone.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

I can't wait to see thier video after they get the DTE update.
Sponsored