• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Elon saying CT deliveries start Thursday

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
The CT seems much better in the aero department and should have a more efficient drive train but I'm not sure the 500 mile version will ever happen, the battery would just have to be massive. The lightning is about 2.4 m/kw with a 131 kwh battery so to get 500 it would need a 204 Kwh battery, which i think would weigh to much and take up to much space (although ram thinks they are going to try it). The CT is smaller but would still need 180 kwh battery to get to 500 (assuming about 2.8 m/kw which I think is on the high end of expectation).

Farley has been pushing charging speed and efficiency are more important than range and I think Tesla is very similar in that thought. If they put a 125 kwh battery in each CT vs a 180 kwh battery they can build almost 50% more batteries while also creating a scenario where you are more likely to need a supercharger more often, which is where they are really going to make money in the long run.

Either way I'm excited for tomorrow and getting more finalized info, the competition is good for the market and while i don't see a CT in my future (maybe a MY for the wife) I'm hoping it continues Tesla's success in driving the industry forward.
Charging speed.

If you have lived with an EV for awhile, you realize yes having chargers along your route is important, but so is charging speed.

If your EV has an 800 volt charging architecture, coupled with a fast charging curve, stopping to charge is less of a nuisance. You would be okay with less range. Stop, Charge, and Go.
Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Charging speed.

If you have lived with an EV for awhile, you realize yes having chargers along your route is important, but so is charging speed.

If your EV has an 800 volt charging architecture, coupled with a fast charging curve, stopping to charge is less of a nuisance. You would be okay with less range. Stop, Charge, and Go.
Ive always thought once we hit a point where you can add enough charge for 3 hours driving at 70-75 mph in 10-15 minutes then most people would find an EV acceptable. Not many scenarios where people are going over 200 miles without stopping for a stretch, drink, or bathroom break. Hell if i could get a solid 100 miles winter range in 10 minutes or less id be happy, with an EA charger and 800v most cars (trucks aren't efficient enough yet) are probably getting that or at least getting close now.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but if anyone plays fortnite they are starting their new season the day after cyber truck launch. The game has this generic countdown timer(just as cybertruck homepage) to remind you when the new season/features are coming. I'd bet a whole dollar that there are going to be cybertrucks showing up in game when their new season begins. The way fortnite is doing it is very different from how they normally do it making it feel a bit suspicious. The current season is a bit abbreviated and feels like some artificial filler for some other event.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
My guess - only a fraction of those reservations will get converted to orders. What fraction? Maybe 20%, maybe 60%?

At any rate, if Elon ramps production as promised (big if), anybody who wants one will be able to get it in 18 months. Just like the Lightning.
The Lightning was supposed to have 100,000 reservations.
The Cybertruck is supposed to have 1.5 million reservations.

And if the early reviews of actual users the next 4-5 months are positive, I expect a lot more reservations to be placed.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
So, he expects people to accept delivery without telling them how much it will cost?
The first group of deliveries are mostly employees and key investors and they're under NDA. It looks like they might deliver a handful of trucks at the event, as they have done with some vehicles in the past. Early reservation holders should start getting configurator access on Friday. Will be invited in waves based on reservation time stamp, location and other factors. All other details getting presented on Thursday...

Certain reviewers have CT access now -- MKBHD, posted a teaser, as an example. Press embargo seems to be in effect until Saturday, but I haven't seen confirmation of that. I think all the initial reviews and access are being done in both Fremont and Austin but Tesla isn't letting them off company property with the truck yet.

Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X
The CT seems much better in the aero department and should have a more efficient drive train but I'm not sure the 500 mile version will ever happen, the battery would just have to be massive. The lightning is about 2.4 m/kw with a 131 kwh battery so to get 500 it would need a 204 Kwh battery, which i think would weigh to much and take up to much space (although ram thinks they are going to try it). The CT is smaller but would still need 180 kwh battery to get to 500 (assuming about 2.8 m/kw which I think is on the high end of expectation).

Farley has been pushing charging speed and efficiency are more important than range and I think Tesla is very similar in that thought. If they put a 125 kwh battery in each CT vs a 180 kwh battery they can build almost 50% more batteries while also creating a scenario where you are more likely to need a supercharger more often, which is where they are really going to make money in the long run.

Either way I'm excited for tomorrow and getting more finalized info, the competition is good for the market and while i don't see a CT in my future (maybe a MY for the wife) I'm hoping it continues Tesla's success in driving the industry forward.
It could be less than 204 kWh if they get Rivian's efficiency.
Here is a table I keep tweaking. See '500 mile equiv' column.

Ford F-150 Lightning Elon saying CT deliveries start Thursday kPKBe7N

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Lightning was supposed to have 100,000 reservations.
The Cybertruck is supposed to have 1.5 million reservations.
The Lightning had over 200,000 reservations before they cut them off.

I suspect that the Cybertruck number is BS.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

A refundable $100 is a BS reservation (based on the complete lack of skin in the game) for a $50k+ vehicle no matter how many of them there may be.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A refundable $100 is a BS reservation (based on the complete lack of skin in the game) for a $50k+ vehicle no matter how many of them there may be.
Agreed

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

There is a public tracker that has reservation numbers added to it. It's slow as hell to navigate, but there is at least a lot of interest for $100. Tesla folk can be a different crowd and since the majority of half ton trucks are garage princesses, this truck whatever it turns out to be can fill the need for a huge number of people. Just kind of like Ford - if they would make the Maverick more people would buy them, but they are just afraid of cannibalizing the sales of the higer priced half tons. That could bite them in the ass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Dual motor, 600hp, 340mi, $79,990

Tri-motor, 845hp, 320mi, $99,990

*womp-womp*

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Looks like that went up to $250 now. Still refundable.

Reactions: GDN

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
There's going to be 100,000 people canceling this week and Teslas gonna have to dole out $10,000,000 . That might be small change but it's not going to make the analysts too happy either. There's just no way they can sell 250,000 per year at that price point and the cheaper RWD that's a late arrival may never arrive. People be flipping out on the cyber truck Forum.

One of our photoshop experts on here needs to get a Gif of Farley saying "Seems a bit expensive"
Sponsored