• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extended Range Battery on Lariat Trim/Which Trim to Buy

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I need a nice stereo in my car due to the length of my commute. As I understand it, the lowest trim available with the B&O stereo is the Lariat. I would get an XLT and put aftermarket speakers in there, but I am going to lease (or whatever Ford options is called) so I can't really do any aftermarket. So, I guess I am looking at a Lariat, but they are so expensive.
Just my opinion here. But after owning a Gen2 Raptor with the B&O system, skip it. It’s not that great of an improvement over the basic system.

There are two versions of the B&O system, the ’unleashed’ version and non-unleased. Check out the audio forums and I think you’ll find mixed reactions.
Sponsored

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just my opinion here. But after owning a Gen2 Raptor with the B&O system, skip it. It’s not that great of an improvement over the basic system.

There are two versions of the B&O system, the ’unleashed’ version and non-unleased. Check out the audio forums and I think you’ll find mixed reactions.
Helpful. Thanks. You may saved me $10k-20k!

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Looking at the XLT for the cloth seats - can't do Lariat or Platinum - leather seating surfaces burns my legs, butt and back.

Haven't decided SR or ER battery...

Wish Pro trim would offer cloth seats as an option - I'd jump on that!
FWIW, there are pictures floating around of a preproduction pro on the assembly line with cloth seats.

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
As I understand it, with an EV with a touchscreen like this, you can’t really replace the stereo. You can only upgrade the speakers.
There have been a number of owners with previous Sync2/3 systems that have used Forscan to configure the headunit to be line-output only. (I did this to my current Lincoln as well, because as you said here - ditching the factory headunit is just not an option). So for my current car, I use the stock headunit configured for line level outputs->Dayton DSP (It's like $150)->Aftermarket 4 Channel amp for the four doors and aftermarket mono amp for an add on sub. If in the coming months (or I bet someone already has) figures out how to just get Line-level audio out of the latest Ford headunit, you can get a good sounding system for $500-1000 depending on which brands of equipment that you target. I plan to do this to my ride as well, but I will probably be working with a trim level that has the 12" screen. My Lincoln had THX audio, and it pumped most of the sound out of a center channel speaker on the dash and had too much low end rolloff to the factory subs (6x9s) for my liking. Both problems were solved with the aftermarket equipment and the forscan hack.

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
There have been a number of owners with previous Sync2/3 systems that have used Forscan to configure the headunit to be line-output only. (I did this to my current Lincoln as well, because as you said here - ditching the factory headunit is just not an option). So for my current car, I use the stock headunit configured for line level outputs->Dayton DSP (It's like $150)->Aftermarket 4 Channel amp for the four doors and aftermarket mono amp for an add on sub. If in the coming months (or I bet someone already has) figures out how to just get Line-level audio out of the latest Ford headunit, you can get a good sounding system for $500-1000 depending on which brands of equipment that you target. I plan to do this to my ride as well, but I will probably be working with a trim level that has the 12" screen. My Lincoln had THX audio, and it pumped most of the sound out of a center channel speaker on the dash and had too much low end rolloff to the factory subs (6x9s) for my liking. Both problems were solved with the aftermarket equipment and the forscan hack.
Thank you. This will be quite helpful if I decide to purchase. If I do the Ford balloon option, I will just have to stick with the stereo that is in there.

Sponsored

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you. This will be quite helpful if I decide to purchase. If I do the Ford balloon option, I will just have to stick with the stereo that is in there.
Admittedly I need to spend more time looking at the audio forums here, but you might also be able to source the mating connectors to the factory harness(es) where necessary and attach your aftermarket equipment to a piece of MDF under rear seat - making this a completely reversible installation. The system in my car is set up to be removed when I trade in, without any damage/cutting/mods to the factory harness, but I am largely unfamiliar with the Ford's latest platform for the sound system.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I’ve been watching/reading reviews on the Rivian R1T and frankly, the Lariat trim is very plain when compared to the base Rivian. They cost roughly the same, but the Rivian comes with 314 miles range. IMO, on paper, the biggest advantages The the Lariat Lightning has is that it’s bigger, has a better thought out frunk, and has a VASTLY larger service network. That service network is important, but the R1T specs and features are kinda jaw dropping.

Even the XLT, with the extended range battery and max tow, costs more than the Rivian.

Of course this is based on the projected prices from the Ford survey.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’ve been watching/reading reviews on the Rivian R1T and frankly, the Lariat trim is very plain when compared to the base Rivian. They cost roughly the same, but the Rivian comes with 314 miles range. IMO, on paper, the biggest advantages The the Lariat Lightning has is that it’s bigger, has a better thought out frunk, and has a VASTLY larger service network. That service network is important, but the R1T specs and features are kinda jaw dropping.

Even the XLT, with the extended range battery and max tow, costs more than the Rivian.

Of course this is based on the projected prices from the Ford survey.
The Rivian looks to be a great truck, but it is a bit too small for my needs right now.

The Lightning also has the home power backup feature that the Rivian doesn't have, as well as a massive existing catalog of aftermarket equipment and accessories.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
The Lightning also has the home power backup feature that the Rivian doesn't have, as well as a massive existing catalog of aftermarket equipment and accessories.
I considered the Rivian R1T. I determined that the R1T is great for the adventurer/off-roading. The reason why I'm going with the Lightning is: (1) the power bank, (2) the huge frunk, (3) Ford's vast service network, (4) the interior room (the front and back seats are really comfortable) and (5) the bed size. (The power bank is what drew me to the Lightning to begin with. I had not ever considered an EV until the Lightning.)

I readily admit that the R1T is more luxurious, has greater towing capacity and much better for off-roading. (Rivian will also have its own dedicated charging network.) My biggest concern besides the lack of a power bank and its size, is servicing the Rivian. It is an unproven brand and if something breaks, servicing the Rivian could be a pain.)

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I considered the Rivian R1T. I determined that the R1T is great for the adventurer/off-roading. The reason why I'm going with the Lightning is: (1) the power bank, (2) the huge frunk, (3) Ford's vast service network, (4) the interior room (the front and back seats are really comfortable) and (5) the bed size. (The power bank is what drew me to the Lightning to begin with. I had not ever considered an EV until the Lightning.)

I readily admit that the R1T is more luxurious, has greater towing capacity and much better for off-roading. (Rivian will also have its own dedicated charging network.) My biggest concern besides the lack of a power bank and its size, is servicing the Rivian. It is an unproven brand and if something breaks, servicing the Rivian could be a pain.)
My hesitation with the R1T is mostly due to my inability to sit in one any time soon. I had a similar problem with the Bronco and forced myself to wait before ordering and glad I did as it was not comfortable for me.

I have sat in several 2021 super crew F-150s this year and love the interior of every one of them. On paper the Rivian is closer to what I need but I am now looking forward to having a full size pickup again.

The home power backup is a major plus as well since I already have solar (without a battery). Ideally I will be able to charge when the grid is down but the cost to do this is still unknown. In any case we have not had an outage last more the 24 hours in over 20 years (hope this doesn't mean we are due for one?)

Last edited:

Sponsored

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
In any case we have not have an outage last more the 24 hours in over 20 years
Yes. Neither have we. Even with 3 feet of snow. The outage lasts maybe 4 hours. Making a backup in the car not super helpful/necessary especially if it comes with added expenses. And if the apocolypse comes, an EV that you can charge using your roof solar system isn't going to save you from the zombies.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Yes. Neither have we. Even with 3 feet of snow. The outage lasts maybe 4 hours. Making a backup in the car not super helpful/necessary especially if it comes with added expenses. And if the apocolypse comes, an EV that you can charge using your roof solar system isn't going to save you from the zombies.
Yes but the last 2 years might demonstrate how quickly normal can change. You might not be saved from zombies but you might have an option to stay in your home when others don't.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Yes but the last 2 years might demonstrate how quickly normal can change. You might not be saved from zombies but you might have an option to stay in your home when others don't.
Don’t forget Texans went for weeks without power. Southern Louisiana gets power knocked out regularly.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Battery backup/Solar Roof and gun rack in the truck are not mutually exclusive options.

When the power goes out its not the zombies but the opportunistic people who think they are entitled to free stuff because they have nothing better to do. Its a shame that EV prices and Ammo prices are still trending (together) in the wrong direction.

East coast South Florida, hurricanes have a tendency to knock out my power for days on end every few years. Propane tank is on the wrong side of the house to put in a LP generator so ... F150 Lightning to the rescue.
Sponsored