• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Feeling a bit screwed over by Ford...

Dylonious

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
This is probably more of a vent than anything, but does anyone else feel pretty screwed over by Ford, their dealers, and their pricing?

Just ~90 short days ago I pulled the trigger on a '23 XLT SR, and then immediately had to drop it off at the dealer for 45 days or so while they reinstalled the heater.
I finally got the truck back just over a month ago, and start to enjoy it when they undercut us with these deep discounts on extended ranges.
I could really use the ER, but decided to be frugal and stick with an SR and deal with some inconveniences.
Now I'm seeing I could get an ER for basically what I paid - all while not even having the truck I paid for most of the time I've owned it.

I know these are just first world problems, but its just been an overall disappointing experience when I really wanted to buy in.
I can't say I'd recommend the Ford EV experience to anyone as a result.

EDIT: I literally posted this and got the dreaded "powertrain malfunction" message 2 minutes later - while not even driving it. Can't make this up!
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you are blaming Ford? why? No one forced your decision to buy anything. YOU made a decision that was right for the moment. Nothing that Ford, or dealers, do now has anything to do with you. Pricing increasing, pricing decreasing, all has no bearing on your truck. Drive it for what it is and don't look back. Looking back, or "hindsight is 20/20", does nothing but annoy or aggravate most of us - LIFE is not that way.

As to the 'issue'... my only advice, and too late for you, is to NEVER just 'leave' a vehicle with ANYONE, not even a dealer... have them diagnose the issue, and then let THEM tell you when they will be able to 'fix' it. Bring it back in and have them COMMIT to having it done, otherwise, take it somewhere else. You are not BOUND to 'have' to take it to a Ford dealer, or any dealer. Do NOT let them hold you hostage.

But, many people do... then just complain and complain about it later.
Dealers KNOW they can get away with this - why let them?

You have a TERRIFIC vehicle - be proud of your responsible and financially sound purchase, and don't 'look back'... move forward.
And, by the way, I have a PRO SR, and LOVE IT... I love it so much, it's got over 41,000 miles on it, SO FAR! Go, travel, DRIVE THAT THANG!

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
As we regularly remind the kids "comparison is the death of happiness" Does it suck a bit to be locked in to shitty financing (I can leave anytime I want but rates aren't better anywhere yet) or have paid more than current prices? Sure but rest assured that you made the best buying decision you could at the time you made it.

Now you're in a situation that could be your benefit, if the vehicle is going back in for power train repairs you could be in lemon law / buy back territory which would negate your current purchase and allow you to buy at one of the current deal prices. Get it back in the shop for that battery module and see what you can do in regards to that.

OP
OP

Dylonious

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
you are blaming Ford? why? No one forced your decision to buy anything. YOU made a decision that was right for the moment. Nothing that Ford, or dealers, do now has anything to do with you. Pricing increasing, pricing decreasing, all has no bearing on your truck. Drive it for what it is and don't look back. Looking back, or "hindsight is 20/20", does nothing but annoy or aggravate most of us - LIFE is not that way.

As to the 'issue'... my only advice, and too late for you, is to NEVER just 'leave' a vehicle with ANYONE, not even a dealer... have them diagnose the issue, and then let THEM tell you when they will be able to 'fix' it. Bring it back in and have them COMMIT to having it done, otherwise, take it somewhere else. You are not BOUND to 'have' to take it to a Ford dealer, or any dealer. Do NOT let them hold you hostage.

But, many people do... then just complain and complain about it later.
Dealers KNOW they can get away with this - why let them?

You have a TERRIFIC vehicle - be proud of your responsible and financially sound purchase, and don't 'look back'... move forward.
And, by the way, I have a PRO SR, and LOVE IT... I love it so much, it's got over 41,000 miles on it, SO FAR! Go, travel, DRIVE THAT THANG!
Am I blaming Ford for delivering a truck without heat and now with a powertrain malfunction? Yes.

What are you even talking about? I left the truck with a ford dealer to fix it under warranty.

Why are you capitalizing random words?

OP
OP

Dylonious

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
As we regularly remind the kids "comparison is the death of happiness" Does it suck a bit to be locked in to shitty financing (I can leave anytime I want but rates aren't better anywhere yet) or have paid more than current prices? Sure but rest assured that you made the best buying decision you could at the time you made it.

Now you're in a situation that could be your benefit, if the vehicle is going back in for power train repairs you could be in lemon law / buy back territory which would negate your current purchase and allow you to buy at one of the current deal prices. Get it back in the shop for that battery module and see what you can do in regards to that.
Yeah, that’s how I’m choosing to think about it. Silver lining is I could sell back now that I can’t drive it.

Im usually good about not comparing and killing my happiness. It’s really just about doing that while also having a lemon of a truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dylonious

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
I would have lemon lawed it while waiting on the heater. But that's just me.
Hindsights 20/20 I guess. It wasn't like I knew it was going to take that long. I started the conversation at the time, but probably should have pushed harder.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I paid full MSRP in 22 when others were paying MSRP plus ridiculous ADM of 10K or more. So, for me, at the time, I got a good deal. Nothing compared to the steep discounts being offered now but that was the price I paid to be a first GEN Lightning owner.

Gaffer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Motion Picture Lighting Designer
It’s already been said but I agree, you can lemon it. I’ve heard Ford is pretty good about it, might get stuck without a truck for a couple months before the paperwork is finalized, but heard they sometimes give you a couple thousand bucks as an apology. The question is, will the current deals be available in two months after your lemon is dealt with? No one can answer that, I would wager no.

Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I would be upset if my new truck had no heat and possibly more problems. Tesla addresses most recalls OTA and I have never had to get service . It’s crazy how ill prepared Ford is at addressing issues with their BEVs. Many posts on these forums are complaining about poor dealership experiences.

The dealership model has been a big negative of my ownership experience. I buy EV’s so I don’t have to go to the dealership. If my lightning develops problems it’s going to be sold. Being an owner of 3 Tesla’s, I haven’t needed service. I have four recalls (all mailed btw) on my ‘23 Lightning Pro, including the 12V BMS replacement. The truck doesn’t get over the air updates but functions OK. I did once have reduced powertrain that corrected itself by powering on and off. I am genuinely concerned that my local dealers can fix/service recalls without having a problem. My initial telephone conversations are not encouraging. I just recently saw the cyber truck in person and it is very impressive. Ford better get their shit together fast or they will not be a player in electric trucks.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I completely understand the OP. I just love it when people say why are you getting mad or upset. If anyone out there says they would not be in any way peeved that the $60-80K truck they bought a day or 3 months ago is now $10-$20k cheaper they are a complete LIAR! This same thing came up mid last year and all these high and mighty people said the same thing to people who bought literally days before an MSRP decrease. Of course, these people didn't have it happen to them. Who cares if " You have a TERRIFIC vehicle " it isn't always terrific. Go flush $10k down the toilet, feels wonderful.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
It’s BS by ford IMO. To make matters worse, they did it to the people that waited the longest.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I keep my cars until they die so these fluctuations are meaningless to me but just to give you some context about holding Ford responsible for the market, this is what Perplexity told me about model S:
  • A Model S Plaid purchased for $129,900 in December 2021 was appraised at $88,000 after one year
  • Another Model S Plaid bought for $170,000 in 2022 was appraised at $76,000 after a year
  • A 2021 Model S Plaid valued at $135,000 was estimated at $60,000 for trade-in with Tesla and around $80,000 for a private party sale

Last edited:

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Activate Lemon Law and buy another and get sales price. Take the tax credit again. I’d 100% do this. In fact, did it in 2017 with our Pacifica PHEV
Sponsored