• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fly and Drive

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I wish Ford had an option where we could fly to Detroit, pick up our vehicles, and drive home. They seem to have issues moving truck via Train and Semi's. My truck has been awaiting transport for more than 10 days. I would be delighted to pick it up in person.

Steve
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You could have done what TFL did and order from a dealer close to the plant.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Would be cheaper than paying the destination fee too

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
This should be an option IMO.
BMW (non SAV), Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and Volvo offers their European delivery service.

BMW X series have South Carolina factory delivery services too - they pay for a night stay, get picked up in a BMW, given a factory tour, and then you drive off.

Euro delivery means not only do you get to pick it up at the factory, but also when it's shipped back to the states, you get a second delivery experience!

My wife wants to get a Volvo and be flown in free to Gotenburg Sweden to pickup, drive it around and then drop off in Denmark.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I submitted this as an idea to Ford using their official submission form. It was rejected.

OP
OP

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I submitted this as an idea to Ford using their official submission form. It was rejected.
Maybe they have a legal and function need for the dealers. You would think with the transport crisis thy could come up with some sort of compensation. We get some benefits from a 100 yer old company but being nimble apparently is not one of them.

steve

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I wish Ford had an option where we could fly to Detroit, pick up our vehicles, and drive home. They seem to have issues moving truck via Train and Semi's. My truck has been awaiting transport for more than 10 days. I would be delighted to pick it up in person.

Steve
Would absolutely take time off work to do this. I'm at almost 3 weeks waiting for shipment myself.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Maybe they have a legal and function need for the dealers. You would think with the transport crisis thy could come up with some sort of compensation. We get some benefits from a 100 yer old company but being nimble apparently is not one of them.

steve
I can almost guarantee it is a dealer requirement to "add value" to the delivery process and to ensure they have an opportunity to upcharge you on scotch guard, paint sealant, and nitrogen in your tires.

I bought my Tesla used from Tesla and I flew to Chicago to pick it up vs. paying the $1k to have it shipped to my local service center. The pickup itself was somewhat unceremonious, I didn't save much money between the flight, uber, restaurants, and hotel stay, and I put 700+ miles on the car by driving across boring midwest highway. Would I do it again? Absolutely! It was an awesome way to get to know the car right away and I am trying to think of an inaugural road trip in the Lightning to mimic this experience.

Maybe as Ford starts to distinguish "Model E" dealers, it will offer a similar pickup experience. I wonder what the percentage of purchases would take them up on it?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, probably written into the 'Dealer Code', so no customers can just bypass them...but, a 'RENT and DRIVE' would be another good option - rent a car to Dearborn, drive your truck home : )

it'd be funny if the rental 'car' was actually a Lightning : )

Sponsored

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
I could walk from my house and be there is less than an hour.

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
For single purchases, Ford has to abide by Michigan Law that requires delivery through dealers. The caveat to this is if you have a business, they can do drop ship vehicles for fleet purchases (i.e. at the plant).

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
You could have done what TFL did and order from a dealer close to the plant.
Has anyone contacted their dealer and seen if a drop ship arrangement can be made with a Detroit dealer? I would do this in a heartbeat!
Sponsored