• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford 80A Charge Station Pro

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
A few thoughts bouncing around my head regarding the 80A Charge Station Pro:

1) I hope it's available for purchase independent from the truck during calendar year 2021, because as the law is currently written the 30% EVSE + installation tax credit expires at the end of this year. I doubt this will happen, though.

2) This would only be relevant to people opting for the standard range battery models who want the 80A EVSE for the Intelligent Backup Power functionality. (One wouldn't get any additional charging speed out of it as opposed to any 48A EVSE as the standard range model is limited by the 11.2 kW input power of its onboard charger. And the extended range buyers wouldn't care since the 80A EVSE is included in that $10k upgrade price.)

3) The 80A EVSE uses a CCS connector! Not for charging, as the J1772 part of it handles that AC charging business, but for feeding DC power back to the separate wall-mounted inverter.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36480020/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-charge-station-pro-explained/

Here's a picture that I snagged from a video of Ford's facilities showing the actual 80A EVSE with the separate inverter box next to it and the CCS connector:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford 80A Charge Station Pro E3aFvUyX0AML1Ks?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

4) We'll get more details eventually, but it's unclear to me whether a) the inverter panel and thus the Intelligent Backup Power is a standard or an optional add-on to the 80A EVSE itself (noting that it's clear that such backup power needs the 80A EVSE—just not clear if that's sufficient), and b) whether there's a separate transfer switch necessary on top of this.

5) What's really exciting to my nerd-brain since power outages are rare events is Ford Intelligent Power. That's vehicle-to-grid (as opposed to vehicle-to-home with the Intelligent Backup Power feature that's widely publicized). The Intelligent Power will let Lightnings plugged into the EVSE buffer power to the home even absent a power outage, so as to allow price arbitrage between peak and off-peak electricity rates. That's cool.

Tiny back of napkin math on how this might play out, using the time of use pricing from one of my utilities:

21 cents/kWh from 5-10 PM
7 cents/kWh outside of that

Let's assume 90% charger/inverter efficiency and, to make this as dramatic as possible, a full 9.6 kW load for those 5 hours every day.

So we'd give 9.6 kW * 5 hours * 90% efficiency to the grid each day, credited at 21 cents/kWh. Our grid bill would be $9.07 cheaper, but then we'd have to recharge: 9.6 kW * 5 hours / 90% efficiency to get pack charge to the same level, which at 7 cents/kWh would cost $3.73.

By this math, plugging in the truck for a bit over 10 hours would therefore earn $5.34 each day, possibly more if the grid owners provide their own incentives (as they should since this would reduce peak demand and thus their need to spin up expensive and dirty peakers). $160/mo is better than a stick in the eye for sure!
Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Thank you for this I've been trying to get details on the 80A charger connection.

So if I have a Tesla Model 3 and a F150 Lightning can I charge my Tesla with the 80A charger? Can I adapt just the J1772 portion of the CCS or do I need a full CCS adapter?

I have a 40A J1772 wall charger now for my Ford Focus Electric (FFE) and the Model 3. While the FFE wont draw the full 40A the Model 3 certainly does. I'm trying to decide if I need to keep the 40A and add the 80A for two chargers, or replace the 40A with the 80A.

OP
OP

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for this I've been trying to get details on the 80A charger connection.

So if I have a Tesla Model 3 and a F150 Lightning can I charge my Tesla with the 80A charger? Can I adapt just the J1772 portion of the CCS or do I need a full CCS adapter?

I have a 40A J1772 wall charger now for my Ford Focus Electric (FFE) and the Model 3. While the FFE wont draw the full 40A the Model 3 certainly does. I'm trying to decide if I need to keep the 40A and add the 80A for two chargers, or replace the 40A with the 80A.
That's a great question re using just the J1772 portion for Type 1 CCS and adapting to the Tesla plug... where the CCS isn't used for charging but instead only for reverse flow to the house! I don't know, and this is a new application as far as I can tell so Google isn't helpful.

The standard range pack Lightning will accept 48A max from an EVSE so would be quite happy to draw down 40A from your current EVSE.

The extended range pack Lightning will take up to 80A, but then again this wouldn't be an issue if you ordered that truck since it'd already come with said EVSE.

Keep in mind that adding an extra 100A circuit to feed the 80A EVSE may be challenging depending on how full your panel currently is.

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
The rating of your sub panel is irrelevant if your main feed from the street to your meter is too small. You need a 200 amp main service. If your main breaker at the meter is 100 or 125, plan on hiring a contractor and pulling a permit for a 200 amp meter panel upgrade.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I'm planning to build an off grid barn in the Rockies. I've already got the property on a mountain near Breckenridge. While I'm feeling pretty secure in just using solar, it would be a really good insurance policy to have an F150 Lightning in my garage.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
2) This would only be relevant to people opting for the standard range battery models who want the 80A EVSE for the Intelligent Backup Power functionality. (One wouldn't get any additional charging speed out of it as opposed to any 48A EVSE as the standard range model is limited by the 11.2 kW input power of its onboard charger. And the extended range buyers wouldn't care since the 80A EVSE is included in that $10k upgrade price.)
While the SR battery will have a CCS port, we have no idea if it will have the software to act as a backup. That software may be limited to the ER battery.

OP
OP

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
While the SR battery will have a CCS port, we have no idea if it will have the software to act as a backup. That software may be limited to the ER battery.
From Ford's own graphic, available on their press site. Note the bottom entry. Intelligent Backup Power… with the connection point for both the standard range and extended range models via the 80A EVSE.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford 80A Charge Station Pro Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.23.11 AM

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
From Ford's own graphic, available on their press site. Note the bottom entry. Intelligent Backup Power… with the connection point for both the standard range and extended range models via the 80A EVSE.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.23.11 AM.png
Great!

Sponsored

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.23.11 AM.png
My understanding is that the 80A charger is optional with the Standard range battery, but comes with the Extended range battery by default.

OP
OP

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My understanding is that the 80A charger is optional with the Standard range battery, but comes with the Extended range battery by default.
Yes, that's true. What was cleared up with this graphic is that if one gets the standard range Lightning and options the 80A EVSE (that still will only give 48A to the standard range since its onboard charger is 48A) then one indeed gets Intelligent Backup Power.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Here's my question:

I see that the infographic says "9.6kW output" for home backup, but then what is the importance of the row here that says "Onboard Charger Power (Input/Output)" that gives the SR as 11.3kW/10.5kW and the ER as 19.2kW/17.6kW?

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford 80A Charge Station Pro F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs-1

The input numbers make sense. The SR lines up with (48A * 240V) and the ER Lines up with (80A * 240V) as expected.

But what's the significance of the output numbers?

I was thinking that might be the amount that could be sent back to the house?

Or is it 9.6kW, which is the same as the max output from all the onboard plugs combined?

Why give us the outputs of the onboard chargers as >9.6kW and different between the SR and ER if the output maxes out at 9.6kW either way?

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that both batteries would allow the same 9.6 kW max rate.

I think its the attached Sunrun box (Inverter) that is doing the heavy lifting. The CCS connector allows for DC to come straight from the battery pack out which will bypass the onboard charger.

You can buy products like this from many companies that will take power from the grid, a PV system and or a backup battery array to power your house. I suspect the truck is just acting as a battery - a "smart" battery as there is communication between the trust and Sunrun box to ensure enough capacity is preserved in the truck.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that both batteries would allow the same 9.6 kW max rate.

I think its the attached Sunrun box (Inverter) that is doing the heavy lifting. The CCS connector allows for DC to come straight from the battery pack out which will bypass the onboard charger.

You can buy products like this from many companies that will take power from the grid, a PV system and or a backup battery array to power your house. I suspect the truck is just acting as a battery - a "smart" battery as there is communication between the trust and Sunrun box to ensure enough capacity is preserved in the truck.
You could be right that the Sunrun box is actually an inverter and it's limited to 9.6kW.

The question remains, though, what's the significance of giving us the maximum output as 10.5kW (SR) and 17.6kW (ER) if both are limited to 9.6kW from the plugs or to the house?
Sponsored