• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
You can transition that last foot or 2 in copper to the hvse. . Check with your electrician.
that’s what I’m doing.
I was going to use these in a junction box to transition from AL SER 2-2-2-4 to CU 3 THHN. I changed plans and will install a Chargepoint prior to the CSP, so I am landing the SER in a 125A outdoor Sub Panel for now. This allows me to pull other circuits, and easily change the whip for the CSP install in future.
Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
The AC supply always connects the same way.
If by “whole house mode” you mean backup power, those are DC connections - different set of wires to different terminals.
In regards to the DC wires, I had planned to run them in separate conduit to the same junction box behind the CSP. Turns out even though the manual in step 5 says to "remove the rear plug", it is expected to be used, allowing only three AC wires through it. I will have to run the DC in from the side, which sucks (a second penetration on the house and a conduit sticking out the side).

Also, looks like the HIS install requires two 18awg wires for communication and the Dark Start Battery. 4 extra wires for the HIS, and not sure if you can run those communication wires in the same conduit as the DC power, so maybe a third conduit!

OP
OP
bogey928

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER delivered 6/3, MME GTPE, MME FE
Occupation
IT
I'd be curious to see if you dial the Pro Charger down to 32 amps "Switch Position 3", if it changes the selection available in the Ford Pass App to max 32 amps. Not curious enough to open mine and try it myself, but curious enough nonetheless if someone else does it. I've learned the hard way from past experiences to leave well enough alone unless absolutely necessary...:oops:

Also, I was asked to upload the non-compressed .pdf version to a file sharing site so if anyone is interested the full 28.2 MB version is here. https://mega.nz/file/WUsw0C5I#MVcvIge-v9VaJqHiYbVoF-OGpzPtAEG8sdLZqJfzg-M

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Unboxing and Install Guide IMG_0336.PNG

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'd be curious to see if you dial the Pro Charger down to 32 amps "Switch Position 3", if it changes the selection available in the Ford Pass App to max 32 amps. Not curious enough to open mine and try it myself, but curious enough nonetheless if someone else does it. I've learned the hard way from past experiences to leave well enough alone unless absolutely necessary...:oops:

Also, I was asked to upload the non-compressed .pdf version to a file sharing site so if anyone is interested the full 28.2 MB version is here. https://mega.nz/file/WUsw0C5I#MVcvIge-v9VaJqHiYbVoF-OGpzPtAEG8sdLZqJfzg-M

IMG_0336.PNG
Yes, the hardware setting cannot be exceeded by software. That makes it code-compliant to install on a lower amperage circuit.

Generally, the switch should be set to match the branch circuit ampacity (32A for a 40A circuit, for example).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In regards to the DC wires, I had planned to run them in separate conduit to the same junction box behind the CSP. Turns out even though the manual in step 5 says to "remove the rear plug", it is expected to be used, allowing only three AC wires through it. I will have to run the DC in from the side, which sucks (a second penetration on the house and a conduit sticking out the side).

Also, looks like the HIS install requires two 18awg wires for communication and the Dark Start Battery. 4 extra wires for the HIS, and not sure if you can run those communication wires in the same conduit as the DC power, so maybe a third conduit!
Nothing in the code would require the comm wires to be installed in conduit (although it may look more professional if exposed).
Unless the instructions say not to run the comm wires with the DC, I’d think it would be fine as long as the comm wires had 600V insulation.

Sponsored

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
It's a great opportunity to spend a few bucks and put in a disconnect if it's not close to the service panel. If it was close, I would assume they would just use copper conductors.
Newer NEC requires a disconnect within sight I think for larger hardwired EVSEs.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.

jimallen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.
It looks like you're quoting the California Electric Code there.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It looks like you're quoting the California Electric Code there.
It's in NEC 2020, section 625.43. It's often overlooked because most chargers historically have been less than 60 amps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Carminus

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Got three emails today. One from sunrun to confirm my address the second from Ford giving me $500 and the ev credits and the third from FedEx that my charger shipped.

I am having a local electrician do the work, need a 200amp service so he's going to run a 100amp breaker also will add a 14-50 plug.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
Got three emails today. One from sunrun to confirm my address the second from Ford giving me $500 and the ev credits and the third from FedEx that my charger shipped.

I am having a local electrician do the work, need a 200amp service so he's going to run a 100amp breaker also will add a 14-50 plug.
Same here, fourth email from SunRun asking me to confirm my address, Ford telling me about the credit and my charger is delayed, and fedex shows up with my charger.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It's in NEC 2020, section 625.43. It's often overlooked because most chargers historically have been less than 60 amps.
Most municipalities haven't adopted the 2020 code yet. For instance, here in Michigan we still fall under the 2017 code. Double check what code your state/local jurisdiction is following before doing any work.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
So a couple of days ago I posted on the issue of getting the Sunrun "Please confirm your shipping address" emails I was getting and how that seemed to be broken.

Well since then I got three more emails, two were the same "Please confirm" and one was "Last chance.."

So I called Sunrun customer service and I knew this time to ask for the "Ford Team". I got a lady who I again ran through the issue of being asked to confirm an address on their site but the site's response never indicated whether they actually had my address or not. So I was still in the dark.

So she took all my details and then put me on hold to tag in somebody else. The second lady came on and I ran through everything, again, order number, VIN, name of the dealership, date I took delivery, and she's busy making notes in the computer and says she'll get back to me later in the day with a call and if she can't reach me (Verizon call filtering) she'll send me an email.

So I woke up this morning and I had two voice messages from two different numbers (both Sunrun) and the first said they were still working on it. The second was from the second lady who confirmed my address was on file, and said something about me being in an "early batch" and that I should be expecting the charger to ship out in a few days.

So that's what I know today, but at least they do have my address. Because my dealership submitted my Lightning order my actual street address to my house was not on file with Sunrun. So at least that part is sorted now.

Mike
So here's an update and for those like me who's dealership submitted their Lightning orders (instead of the owner themselves doing it though Ford's web portal) this may make a difference.

As I said above I got two voicemails the same day and essentially the second one confirmed that they did have my address and that should expect to get a shipment notification soon.

However, I continued to get the "Please confirm your shipping address" emails since that time. Like almost everyday. I was ignoring them until this morning and decided to click the link (again) just to see....

So I put in my order number, zip code and last name and this time things were different. It actually took me to a page that showed my street address and asked me to confirm that it was correct. I clicked the "Verify" button and then got this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Unboxing and Install Guide Sunrun_confirm

NOW I think I may be getting somewhere.

So if you've never been contacted by Sunrun and you've taken delivery of your Lightning ER already, and your order for the truck was submitted by your dealer and not by you on the Ford portal, you may need to contact Sunrun because they probably don't have your street address to ship your charger to.

Mike
Sponsored

Last edited: