• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Got my Station Pro installed this week. Works perfect on my lightning, but not I’m not being able to charge my wife’s Tesla. I have a J1772 to tesla adapter. Did some plastic trimming on it to fit on the charger CCS connector. It fits on it, but I tried to charge the tesla and I gives an error on the screen. Have anybody else had this issue too?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, there are other threads on this. One person was able to make it work and at least one other could not.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, there are other threads on this. One person was able to make it work and at least one other could not.
May be try dialing the Charger pro down to 40-amp and give that a try. The Tesla may not like 80-amp coming at it. You have to open the plastic cover on the charger pro and use a flat head to go to a lower setting. I can't recall if it's 4 or 5. I believe the 7 setting is 80-amp.

OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
May be try dialing the Charger pro down to 40-amp and give that a try. The Tesla may not like 80-amp coming at it. You have to open the plastic cover on the charger pro and use a flat head to go to a lower setting. I can't recall if it's 4 or 5. I believe the 7 setting is 80-amp.
I dialed down to 48 which the maximum tesla can handle on ac, but no success. Thinking about contacting ford. If there’s no way to make it work going to sell it and buy a tesla wall charger which should work for both cars.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can always charge the Tesla from the Truck directly - lol. I wonder while charging the truck from the charger pro, if you can charge the Tesla using the pro-power on-board outlet. In effect, both vehicles would charge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
You can always charge the Tesla from the Truck directly - lol. I wonder while charging the truck from the charger pro, if you can charge the Tesla using the pro-power on-board outlet. In effect, both vehicles would charge.
Haha I think it would work. Just need the adapters for the bed outlet.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That’s not how it works.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Ok. Thanks but can you elaborate?
Charger and vehicle negotiate charge rate based on what the vehicle wants vs. what the charger can supply. It’s a continuous negotiation all throughout the charging process.

stop cutting plastic and modifying your Tesla J1772 adapters! Using the Ford CSP requires a CCS adapter. You need a CCS to J1772 step-down adapter to use the FCSP with other J1772 vehicles — like the Volt, for example.

I think I’ve heard Tesla’s CCS to Tesla adapter works, but I don’t have specific confirmation. I own that adapter but can’t test until I get service/ panel upgrades to install my FCSP.

OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
CCS to j1772 doesn’t exist. Nowhere to buy it. The CCS to tesla yes exist. Idk if works either. I will give it a try.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger and vehicle negotiate charge rate based on what the vehicle wants vs. what the charger can supply. It’s a continuous negotiation all throughout the charging process.

stop cutting plastic and modifying your Tesla J1772 adapters! Using the Ford CSP requires a CCS adapter. You need a CCS to J1772 step-down adapter to use the FCSP with other J1772 vehicles — like the Volt, for example.

I think I’ve heard Tesla’s CCS to Tesla adapter works, but I don’t have specific confirmation. I own that adapter but can’t test until I get service/ panel upgrades to install my FCSP.
thx for the info. Makes sense. I haven’t read up on the Tesla standard. Was worth a try.

OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning

As an update. I just tried again, but now I a put a limit on the Tesla charging settings for 36amp max and voiala it’s charging now ;)

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As an update. I just tried again, but now I a put a limit on the Tesla charging settings for 36amp max and voiala it’s charging now ;)
Nice to hear that worked. My wife is looking at getting a Y to replace her vehicle when her lease ends in August so this is good info.
Sponsored