• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
So, I guess that will mean I cannot charge an Escape PHEV using my Charge Station Pro?
Not unless you hack together some kind of homemade adaptor. You could probably cut up a J1772 to Tesla adaptor to make it fit the CCS plug on the FCSP and then use a Tesla to J1772. Or a J1772 extention cable trimmed to fit on CCS.
Sponsored

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Charger and vehicle negotiate charge rate based on what the vehicle wants vs. what the charger can supply. It’s a continuous negotiation all throughout the charging process.

stop cutting plastic and modifying your Tesla J1772 adapters! Using the Ford CSP requires a CCS adapter. You need a CCS to J1772 step-down adapter to use the FCSP with other J1772 vehicles — like the Volt, for example.

I think I’ve heard Tesla’s CCS to Tesla adapter works, but I don’t have specific confirmation. I own that adapter but can’t test until I get service/ panel upgrades to install my FCSP.
Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but wondering if this information is a clue to the troubles we are having charging the truck with an Emporia charger plugged into a 14-50 NEMA that is powered by a 240v Hybrid solar inverter. This is an off grid solar eV charging station we built powered by 10 460W Bifacial panels. We’ve have both Signature Solar and Emporia Tech support working on this but no solutions yet. The emporia charger just won’t run continuously, it stops charging periodically. The Emporia folks were seeing “communications” issues. We put an amp meter on the legs feeding the 10-50 Nema, and the Amps are fluctuating a lot, if the emporia is set to 10 amps, we’ll see fluctuations from 10-13 amps. But, when we plugged our RV into to it as a test, it was nice and stable. Wondering if the is continuous negotiation is the reason for the erratic amps output.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Not unless you hack together some kind of homemade adaptor. You could probably cut up a J1772 to Tesla adaptor to make it fit the CCS plug on the FCSP and then use a Tesla to J1772. Or a J1772 extention cable trimmed to fit on CCS.
It inclined to do that. Anything I do has to be UL listed or equivalent. For vehicles, my choices are a straight hybrid Escape or RAV 4 or a PHEV Escape. My inclination is to stick with the straight hybrid since we had good luck with our Fusion hybrids back in the day (and my son is having good luck with his - it has 78,000 miles on it).

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
For what it’s worth, I modified a Tesla adapter by trimming the plastic and the first time I tried it, it didn’t work. You could hear the FCSP clicking, but then it gave an error. After using the breaker to remove power from the FCSP for a minute or two, I tried again. This time it worked and it has continued to work since. I didn’t have to change any settings in the Tesla or the FCSP. The FCSP is on a 100 amp circuit and set to the max 80 amps. I was never able to sync my FCSP with my FordPass, so it has no firmware updates and is just like it was when I pulled it out of the box.
I hope this helps anyone else who would like to use the FCSP as their main charger for both vehicles.

OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
For what it’s worth, I modified a Tesla adapter by trimming the plastic and the first time I tried it, it didn’t work. You could hear the FCSP clicking, but then it gave an error. After using the breaker to remove power from the FCSP for a minute or two, I tried again. This time it worked and it has continued to work since. I didn’t have to change any settings in the Tesla or the FCSP. The FCSP is on a 100 amp circuit and set to the max 80 amps. I was never able to sync my FCSP with my FordPass, so it has no firmware updates and is just like it was when I pulled it out of the box.
I hope this helps anyone else who would like to use the FCSP as their main charger for both vehicles.
it didn’t work the first try. It worked the day after and now isn’t working anymore. I did turn the breakers of like you did, but no success. I called Ford yesterday and they have no clue. I definitely need to charge my wife’s Tesla too. Thinking about buying a Tesla power wall since they are reliable and the customer service on tesla is much more efficient with Ev related questions. Ford still learning as it goes. Don’t blame them for it. Just a detailed that they should be prepared, because is common thing EV owners having Tesla nowadays.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
As an update. I just tried again, but now I a put a limit on the Tesla charging settings for 36amp max and voiala it’s charging now ;)
That's impossible! Or not.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Tesla, by default uses a proprietary protocol for AC charging, but fails over to J1772 as a backup. It does this on both the car side and the wall connector side, which is why we can achieve a reasonable degree of interoperability. I wonder if there are timing issues related to the fail-over in the Tesla that are causing inconsistency.

To charge a J1772 car without CCS, I have read of 1 person that bought a J1772 extension cord and modified One end to fit on the CCS1 connector of the FCSP.

Personally, I think that if you are not using the FCSP with the HIS for home backup, you are better off finding an 80a EVSE with a regular J1772 connector.
If you also charge Teslas, the earlier V2 Wall connector can support up to 80a and that, combined with an 80a TeslaTap, would also make a great charger for a Lightning ER. The HPWC as it was called is also relatively affordable for an 80a EVSE

OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Tesla, by default uses a proprietary protocol for AC charging, but fails over to J1772 as a backup. It does this on both the car side and the wall connector side, which is why we can achieve a reasonable degree of interoperability. I wonder if there are timing issues related to the fail-over in the Tesla that are causing inconsistency.

To charge a J1772 car without CCS, I have read of 1 person that bought a J1772 extension cord and modified One end to fit on the CCS1 connector of the FCSP.

Personally, I think that if you are not using the FCSP with the HIS for home backup, you are better off finding an 80a EVSE with a regular J1772 connector.
If you also charge Teslas, the earlier V2 Wall connector can support up to 80a and that, combined with an 80a TeslaTap, would also make a great charger for a Lightning ER. The HPWC as it was called is also relatively affordable for an 80a EVSE
Yeap, you are absolutely right.

blazetke

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
My charge station was installed on Friday. I made the pictures mods to a J1772 to Tesla adapter. This adapter was a cheap one off Amazon (I did not to spend money on a Tesla one if it didn’t work).
After connecting the charger to Ford Pass, I throttled the amps down to 40. I connected the modified adapter and plugged it in and it worked. I tested it all the way up to 80 Amps and had no issue as the Model Y throttled the charge going in to 48 amps.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla 85699889-CBFB-4790-8586-444AC02D48E8
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla 07D0E2E6-431E-433F-A0D1-B9036ABD1EC4
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla E7EBDD38-612D-42F7-A7BB-9410076E4699
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla DE4AFEBE-D29F-4A60-8661-F572CBF08CFC
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charger Pro Station not charging my wife's tesla B92C674C-C2B2-4CAB-BFDB-8BF6F67EA222

Sponsored
OP
OP
tidemacedo

tidemacedo

First Name
Aristides
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Mine didn’t work anymore. Only worked once. I’m going to buy a new adapter to see if this is the problem.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Anyone else get this to work?
Mine still works intermittently. It is not reliable enough to count on, but I’ll use it occasionally when I need a lot of juice in a short time (sometimes it doesn’t charge and I have to switch to the Tesla mobile charger and accept 32 amps. )