• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
It's rude to block the flow of traffic because you don't know how to hypermile correctly. Route planning is the key to drive the right mph for great mpg and can be more enjoyable with less traffic. I hate it also when people block the flow of traffic and it's from people not paying attention or on the phone most of the time. Drafting a safe distance with the right truck configuration and speed can be done safely also.
Does drafting behind a truck affect its fuel efficiency?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Absolutely. Mythbusters even did an episode on it. Following just 100ft behind a semi improved fuel economy by 11%. At 50ft it went up by 20%. at 20ft there was a 27% improvement. at 10ft, it goes up 40%. Fuel economy when down when following even closer at 2ft. Obviously, 2 and 10ft is stupid but this is mythbusters we're talking about.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, truck drivers hate it when people draft behind them as it causes them to use more fuel. They are essentially pulling you along. My dad used to do it when hauling a 40' fifth wheel in his f150 (back in the 90s) and it significantly improved fuel mileage, but the truckers switched lanes or sped up as they knew he was back there pulling them back. The truck was almost maxed out with that fifth wheel and couldn't keep up with the trucks when they took off (I also hated that truck as it was a duel tank and could drive about 500miles or so pulling a trailer without stopping...)

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Absolutely. Mythbusters even did an episode on it. Following just 100ft behind a semi improved fuel economy by 11%. At 50ft it went up by 20%. at 20ft there was a 27% improvement. at 10ft, it goes up 40%. Fuel economy when down when following even closer at 2ft. Obviously, 2 and 10ft is stupid but this is mythbusters we're talking about.

Thanks. But what about the truck’s mileage?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Yes, truck drivers hate it when people draft behind them as it causes them to use more fuel. They are essentially pulling you along. My dad used to do it when hauling a 40' fifth wheel in his f150 (back in the 90s) and it significantly improved fuel mileage, but the truckers switched lanes or sped up as they knew he was back there pulling them back. The truck was almost maxed out with that fifth wheel and couldn't keep up with the trucks when they took off (I also hated that truck as it was a duel tank and could drive about 500miles or so pulling a trailer without stopping...)
I'd need to see some evidence of that. The draft vehicle is taking advantage of the low pressure air pocket behind the trailer. That pocket is there whether a vehicle drafts behind them or not. I have a hard time believing that would even cause parasitic drag.

More likely, the truck drivers don't like other vehicles following too closely because it creates a genuinely hazardous situation. Those drivers have enough problems to deal with as it is. That's the main reason I don't do it.

That said, I'm kinda curious how close radar based cruise control can safely get you behind a semi. I think 100ft is the closest you can get so that they can still see you. I believe 150ft is the recommended distance.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Thread derailed.....

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford email confirms F-150 Lightning orders starting at “beginning of the new year” sjwjQju

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
? I was thinking the same thing!
How many folks are constantly checking their E-mail this week? I assume Ford would want to E-mail and open the build and price option before the 5th. This way invitees/dealers can prepare.
Yup every minute, hour, second lol....... Although I have heard the 5th, I am still hoping there is a heads up. But I a also starting to get the feeling that the first wave will go to certain customers without Reservations but connections to Ford for reviews and what not.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I wanted to pay the $100 to make it official but he said he didn't need my money. I guess he knows what to do but I think I was the first to ask at their dealerships about the reservation. He told me to put the money down when I can order and he hasn't called since he said he will know more in January.
Interested in if your dealer contacted you about this first wave?

Sponsored

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Interested in if your dealer contacted you about this first wave?
No, my salesman did not reserve one for me at all like those stated here. I'd love to have one but I'm not paying over MSRP so if one becomes available I would consider that. I have time to look at my options and my salesman knows I'm a solid sale if he find me one. Also other electric vehicles will be flooding the market to consider and I'm a buyer still.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
No, my salesman did not reserve one for me at all like those stated here. I'd love to have one but I'm not paying over MSRP so if one becomes available I would consider that. I have time to look at my options and my salesman knows I'm a solid sale if he find me one. Also other electric vehicles will be flooding the market to consider and I'm a buyer still.
Sorry to hear that. I also have a Rivian order and think that will be the way I end up going. If I do get the lightning it will be for a short time and to hopefully make some money off the tax rebates.

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Gary - what color/trim/options did you end up getting? Can’t wait to see the 400 miles out of the Pro SR…

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yeah I’ve been waiting on an update also

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
It is a hypermiler technique where you use acceleration then glide. You determine the most efficient acceleration rate based on the vehicle's power curve and best mpg acceleration rate. I do acceleration test to get the general rate I accelerate with an instant MPG reading or energy gauge. I worked with the inventor of the Scangauge to program codes to read Ford systems in hybrids so I use one in all my Fords. The pulse is that energy applied (rpm) while getting to a desired speed (the flow of traffic), then coast cutting as much gear drag and regenerative braking as possible. The weight of the rims and tires, and air pressure are tricks to increase your mpg or battery distance with pulse and glide. The speed of traffic determines how long you can glide in the speed of traffic but 25mph is the slowest I go using this hypermiler technique. For those of you that are interested, I would like to know the weight of the tires and rims available for the Lightning if any of you can find that out. I found when I used my lighter '05 FEH rims and the lighter low roll resistant tires on my '09 FEH, I increased my mileage 3 or more mpg from stock. The weight of the tires and rims is much more important than adding weight to the truck in this case. The weight and roll resistance of the tires and rims will greatly determine your mpg over the entire time you drive your vehicle so lighter is better. Many people buy heavy tires and can't figure out why their mpg dropped and this is a big reason IMO. So, all you need to know is pick the lighter tires and rims available and recommended by the OEM for your vehicle if you want better efficiency. I don't go crazy on tire pressure but I use the max recommended for the tire load. My tires usually last twice as long as they did before I became a hypermiler. My tires, brake pads and things last much longer now that I know how to drive better and more efficient.
Question for you. Since you worked with the inventor of the scangauge. Do you have a list or something for the x-gauges related to the f150? I’ve got a 22 powerboost and I’d like to monitor SOC of the hybrid battery like back when I had my old ford escape hybrid. Their site really doesn’t have anything recent for fords. TIA
Sponsored