• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford made a bad rehire

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
That part about "in-house software" was particularly alarming. I hope they are hiring better qualified SW engineers. Although, if the leadership is guiding qualified engineers in the wrong direction we're equally doomed.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
They can think what they want about 'thier own' software and subscription services. But they have a long way to go before this statement is even relevant let alone alarming.

What do they even have that will qualify? Blue Cruise? It is so bad I dont use it with it being free! Why on earth would anyone ever pay for it? Even thier 'built in' third party apps aren't making the subscription cut. SiriusXM? Nope. Apple Music or Spotify are 10x better, aren't locked to the car or a genre, and unless you are willing to waste two hours and call to complain about the price going up every six months, they are cheaper too.

Making any of this 'required' and showing inability to be flexible within an existing and HEAVILY used ecosystem will severely limit growth and hurt bottom line. Period. And Ford at least gets that to a point. For example, I'll never buy a Tesla or GM. Why? No CarPlay. I want one interface, and I'll go where they give it to me.

I have a buddy who is as big of a Tesla fanboy as you could imagine. Even HE admits Tesla is reinventing the wheel for nothing. We use our phones and laptops FAR more than our cars. Probably always will. Familiarity and integration with what we use day to day will bring customers. No matter how compelling your car without wheels is Mr. Field.

Subscription 'might' be the future, but they have a lot to build before this article is anything more than a written version of a concept car from the Detroit auto show.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
From the article:
Field explained at a recent shareholder event that Ford plans to streamline most computing decisions by consolidating them into a centralized processor powered by in-house software – a move that could make Ford EVs even more like an Apple iPhone with subscription services.

This is the only way to do it and what Tesla has implemented 3 to 4 powerful computers that control everything. Everything else in the car is a simple switch that sends a signal or captures some environmental information. If they open their pocketbook they can hire all they want, it'll likely end up looking like a Tesla, which isn't a bad thing. Their SW is at the top, From traction control, car controls, Infotainment controls, to phone apps, etc. No one can really touch it.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
From the article:
Field explained at a recent shareholder event that Ford plans to streamline most computing decisions by consolidating them into a centralized processor powered by in-house software – a move that could make Ford EVs even more like an Apple iPhone with subscription services.

This is the only way to do it and what Tesla has implemented 3 to 4 powerful computers that control everything. Everything else in the car is a simple switch that sends a signal or captures some environmental information. If they open their pocketbook they can hire all they want, it'll likely end up looking like a Tesla, which isn't a bad thing. Their SW is at the top, From traction control, car controls, Infotainment controls, to phone apps, etc. No one can really touch it.
While I agree that software is important to the EV world. This right here:

We’re expanding to control the overall vehicle and control over the autonomy system. There will be software in parts that comes from suppliers that is appropriate. The reason for that is to make it as fast as possible.
Is why I left Tesla in the first place. When the manufacturer has full control of the car it never really belongs to you, meaning you modify it they can ban you from using Chargers, like Tesla, lock you out of software updates.

I do not want them to have full control. Give us the option to decline software updates.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

I have a buddy who is as big of a Tesla fanboy as you could imagine. Even HE admits Tesla is reinventing the wheel for nothing. We use our phones and laptops FAR more than our cars. Probably always will. Familiarity and integration with what we use day to day will bring customers. No matter how compelling your car without wheels is Mr. Field.

Subscription 'might' be the future, but they have a lot to build before this article is anything more than a written version of a concept car from the Detroit auto show.
It's interesting how we can likely agree on some things, I'm guessing we both own Lightnings, but couldn't be even remotely aligned on other things like CarPlay. I'm an Apple user, love their products, but hate CarPlay. it's slow and clunky and doesn't behave like my phone. I can't pinch and zoom in on the map is the number one item that irritates the hell out of me.

For the rest of it - Tesla doesn't need CarPlay because they've already outdone it. Their mapping and navigation already exceeds Google and Apple, it integrates with both just like CarPlay. Tesla refuses to get wrapped up in someone else's spokes and trying to integrate someone else's software or turning over what should be integrated car functions to software of a phone manufacture.

Everything Tesla does just works and works easily and has easy voice commands. They have integrated most of the music apps, Spotify, Tidal, Apple, so your music subscriptions work. Everything else is just perfectly integrated and works. Leave a freaking phone OS out of my auto.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It's interesting how we can likely agree on some things, I'm guessing we both own Lightnings, but couldn't be even remotely aligned on other things like CarPlay. I'm an Apple user, love their products, but hate CarPlay. it's slow and clunky and doesn't behave like my phone. I can't pinch and zoom in on the map is the number one item that irritates the hell out of me.

For the rest of it - Tesla doesn't need CarPlay because they've already outdone it. Their mapping and navigation already exceeds Google and Apple, it integrates with both just like CarPlay. Tesla refuses to get wrapped up in someone else's spokes and trying to integrate someone else's software or turning over what should be integrated car functions to software of a phone manufacture.

Everything Tesla does just works and works easily and has easy voice commands. They have integrated most of the music apps, Spotify, Tidal, Apple, so your music subscriptions work. Everything else is just perfectly integrated and works. Leave a freaking phone OS out of my auto.
Well the great thing about Tesla is you can have CarPlay for $80.00 it works well if you dont want to use what Tesla has to offer. Tesla already has Apple Music, now they need the Sirius XM app and Waze, once they have included those then there is no need to have CarPlay, at least for me.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
https://electrek.co/2023/07/05/ex-apple-exec-wants-subscription-services-fords-evs/

Reading through the article kinda ruined my happy Friday vibe. This guy has no clue, none. *sigh*
Legacy automakers are a different brand.

What Ford should ask itself is what subscription(s) is Tesla able to charge for, and can Ford come close to matching that service.

Buyers will gravitate towards the "better deal". Ford (or GM) won't be able to hook into consumers and charge subscription fees every month, if Tesla doesn't charge for the same service.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Apple is entirely built on building the software and the hardware. That is where carplay is handcuffed. That said, I still think it’s way better than any OEM UX except probably Tesla. Vertical integration is smart for Ford, they just can’t half ass it.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Gaalpwrd

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning #183/887, Lariat LR Antimatter
Occupation
Building stuff
They can think what they want about 'thier own' software and subscription services. But they have a long way to go before this statement is even relevant let alone alarming.

What do they even have that will qualify? Blue Cruise? It is so bad I dont use it with it being free! Why on earth would anyone ever pay for it? Even thier 'built in' third party apps aren't making the subscription cut. SiriusXM? Nope. Apple Music or Spotify are 10x better, aren't locked to the car or a genre, and unless you are willing to waste two hours and call to complain about the price going up every six months, they are cheaper too.

Making any of this 'required' and showing inability to be flexible within an existing and HEAVILY used ecosystem will severely limit growth and hurt bottom line. Period. And Ford at least gets that to a point. For example, I'll never buy a Tesla or GM. Why? No CarPlay. I want one interface, and I'll go where they give it to me.

Reminds me of a survey I think Ford sent me a few months back where they were asking me if I thought paak was something I would pay extra for. I replied something to the tune of "I JUST PAID 90K FOR THIS TRUCK ALL IN AND YOU WANT ME TO PAY MORE FOR SOFTWARE THAT HAS A VERY REAL CHANCE OF LEAVING ME STRANDED?!?" For some reason they never followed up lol.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Legacy automakers are a different brand.

What Ford should ask itself is what subscription(s) is Tesla able to charge for, and can Ford come close to matching that service.

Buyers will gravitate towards the "better deal". Ford (or GM) won't be able to hook into consumers and charge subscription fees every month, if Tesla doesn't charge for the same service.
The “perpetual revenue” model from in-truck subscriptions seems most vulnerable to competition (and fierce competition has always been a hallmark of the auto industry). All it will take is one competitor determined to buy market share by offering free “subscriptions,” and the whole house of cards will fall.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
ARR (Annual Recurring Revenue) is the big hype in most industries these days. It allows companies to better plan financial performance and operating plans.

It also accounts for the increased cost to maintain software over the lifetime of hardware. 10 years ago, there have been no software updates for cars at all. Once they left the factory, the only issue could be a hardware recall (like airbags).

Today, manufacturers have to account for development teams that maintain and expand the software. Maps need to constantly be updated, security patches deployed. All this does cost money, lots of it.

From a financial point, I can understand the need for subscription. I am however appalled by some of the price expectations. Usually my cutoff is $10/month.

There have also been models where the entire car becomes a subscription, basically the same than leasing it.

In the end, it remains to be seen what Ford does. And if consumers don't sign up for it, they will change their strategy quickly.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Ford would abandon their F150 base if they apply that model to work trucks. And many in that base buy upscale work trucks. If you’re marketing to technophiles, maybe that paywall won’t be a problem. The landscaper hauling a trailer of equipment might balk.
To make that perpetual cash stream even halfway attractive Ford can’t make me pay for a heated steering wheel then rent me the operation of it. Put all those niceties in for free then charge for their use? It might work.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
At what point would it be cheaper to Uber it?

That is what I’ve been asking myself.

I like driving and I like my own control - and live in an area that isn’t easily serviced by Uber, but if we’re talking about $100k to buy a car, plus $100/mo to fuel a car, plus $10/mo to provide data, plus $65/mo for bluecruise, plus…??

At that point I’ll cut the car out just like I cut cable out. Or more likely pick up an older “dumb” car for local and plane, bus, Uber or rent a car for when I have a need to go further.

I don’t make enough to pay unlimited subscription fees. And something this ex apple exec doesn’t seem to understand is my phone is utilized almost the entirety of the time I’m awake. Where as I have no desire to pay for a subscription for something that sits idle for roughly 90%-95% of my day
Sponsored