• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford made the news in BC (Canada) and not in a good way.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician

Ford made the news today for not honoring the 2022 price when not building them and pushing customers to a 2023 model.

Exact same reason I am not buying one.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Didn't watch as I assume you summarized it, but no one was ever guaranteed any price anywhere.

I'm going to put money on the prices you see out there today likely won't be the same prices you see another year from now. It's a moving market, inflation, higher wages, higher raw materials.

No one ever truly guaranteed all 200,000 reservation holders they'll even get to order. What happens if they can't scale and build no more than 20K in 2023 and 20K in 2024 and they they open the new factory with a new design. There were no guarantees. The reservation gave you a place to wait in line. I will only note I don't agree with the way they allowed dealers to prioritize nor some states over others, but once again, Ford is a big company with a lot of power.

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Didn't watch as I assume you summarized it, but no one was ever guaranteed any price anywhere.

I'm going to put money on the prices you see out there today likely won't be the same prices you see another year from now. It's a moving market, inflation, higher wages, higher raw materials.

No one ever truly guaranteed all 200,000 reservation holders they'll even get to order. What happens if they can't scale and build no more than 20K in 2023 and 20K in 2024 and they they open the new factory with a new design. There were no guarantees. The reservation gave you a place to wait in line. I will only note I don't agree with the way they allowed dealers to prioritize nor some states over others, but once again, Ford is a big company with a lot of power.
It had to do with the fact that they put the order through with a $2500 deposit and then we're told later that they are being pushed to a MY2023 with a $10500 price increase.
Yes vehicles go up in price, but a $10,500 price increase is outrageous...
They are honoring the price for anyone who ordered a 2022 in the US but didn't get one scheduled, but not doing it in Canada.
The way Ford is going on this, they will probably sell very few in Canada as the price is too high. Why pay $112k for a Lariat EV when you can get an ICE Lariat for around $80k. Same basic truck and $32k+tax (so about $39000) will buy A LOT of fuel and maintenance.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

I concur.

Also, I'm thinking Ford's priority is US deliveries and keeping US dealer's customers happy.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that...but that's just the way it is.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It had to do with the fact that they put the order through with a $2500 deposit and then we're told later that they are being pushed to a MY2023 with a $10500 price increase.
Yes vehicles go up in price, but a $10,500 price increase is outrageous...
They are honoring the price for anyone who ordered a 2022 in the US but didn't get one scheduled, but not doing it in Canada.
The way Ford is going on this, they will probably sell very few in Canada as the price is too high. Why pay $112k for a Lariat EV when you can get an ICE Lariat for around $80k. Same basic truck and $32k+tax (so about $39000) will buy A LOT of fuel and maintenance.
Thank you for that clarification as there is much more to that story if they have already ordered. I understand completely. Jumped the gun and figured it was the other story which we hear plenty.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The way Ford is going on this, they will probably sell very few in Canada as the price is too high.
You are completely right, I just don't think this is at the top of Ford's concerns. Their domestic demand outpaces the necessity to cater to Canadian buyers.

I mean, think about it...if a Canadian company prioritizes orders and deals for Canadians before Americans, would any of us be surprised?

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
You are completely right, I just don't think this is at the top of Ford's concerns. Their domestic demand outpaces the necessity to cater to Canadian buyers.
That's short termed thinking. At some point other options are available and people will remember the shady dealings of Ford; as reputation will be damaged. It won't be long before supply outstrips demand based, as in business cycles all good things come to an end.

I also don't think what they're doing is legal, a deposit at the dealer is a commitment to order. In Canadian law there is probably some liability to deliver at agreed terms once a deposit is taken; as there is an oppurtunity cost for the buyer. The dealers are quite fast and loose on paperwork, but taking the deposit is a pretty solid traceable act. So it depends on a number of factors and what paperwork that customer signed; in the absense of paperwork there's liability that will likely favor the consumer.

Either way Ford is making a blunder for this conduct. And it's alieniating a strong market, and putting mud in their face when they're trying to compete against Tesla who has held pricing with even small $ 100 reservation fees.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
That's short termed thinking. At some point other options are available and people will remember the shady dealings of Ford; as reputation will be damaged. It won't be long before supply outstrips demand based, as in business cycles all good things come to an end.

I also don't think what they're doing is legal, a deposit at the dealer is a commitment to order. In Canadian law there is probably some liability to deliver at agreed terms once a deposit is taken; as there is an oppurtunity cost for the buyer. The dealers are quite fast and loose on paperwork, but taking the deposit is a pretty solid traceable act. So it depends on a number of factors and what paperwork that customer signed; in the absense of paperwork there's liability that will likely favor the consumer.

Either way Ford is making a blunder for this conduct. And it's alieniating a strong market, and putting mud in their face when they're trying to compete against Tesla who has held pricing with even small $ 100 reservation fees.
Completely agreed with you, except I don’t think Tesla will honor the pricing that was announced when we put down our Benjamin for the cyber truck like forever ago.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I don’t think Tesla will honor the pricing that was announced when we put down our Benjamin for the cyber truck like forever ago.
They'll honor the pricing...just not make the vehicle :)

I placed an order for the three motor version, which I assume will never be produced at this point (and have since cancelled my order). And I don't mean they won't make the cyber truck, I mean they'll make a 2 and 4 motor version and push the 3 motor reservation holders into one of those choices.

What I'm getting as it that I expect Tesla to push reservation orders into a different configuration rather than risking the public's ire by hitting early reservation holders with forced updated pricing like Ford has done and Rivian seems to be halfway there.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Sounds are we to understand this person was invited by Ford Motor Company to order? Kinda sounds like a dealer miscommunication to me.

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Sounds are we to understand this person was invited by Ford Motor Company to order? Kinda sounds like a dealer miscommunication to me.
There was no "invitations" in Canada. The dealer knew their allotment and submitted orders according to that.
I was #6 out of 12 allocated and I got pushed to a MY23 with a $11,000+tax price increase. Same day I ordered a different vehicle instead that should be here in about 2 weeks for about half the price.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I can see the aggravation and bitterness if you've not received an invite to order, or your model is not now available, or your dealer is not honoring the 'old' price if you got pushed to 2023, but....
it's true that no one was promised a price, since Ford cannot promise future prices - they advertise a $39,994 model to get everyone's attention, like every manufacturer does, but there's never 'only' that model to choose from, and rarely 'only' that model that is built. It's the 'base' price model, few people actually ever buy those. Ford didn't think that folks would gravity so much toward this one, either. They actually thought it would mostly only appeal to 'pros', such as Fleet buyers.

Having said that, it doesn't temper the bitterness if you thought that because you reserved at the first second of last May's reveal you'd get an invite to order at 2022 prices, of course not knowing that prices for 2023 would be going higher, and ANYTIME in the future. Practically speaking, that doesn't make financial sense for ANY company, business, or car/truck manufacturer, but it DOES feel as though you've been wronged - none-the-less.

If Ford had simply cut the reservations at 20,000... most of us wouldn't even be on these forums complaining - we'd not even HAVE a reservation yet to complain about. Because Ford allowed reservations to extend beyond 200,000, it has created this feeling from 180,000 future hopefuls.

I get that people are miffed. Ford is doing the best they can, no doubt, but it certainly might not feel that way. If Ford had not taken this chance, this risk, NONE of us would have one of these amazing vehicles. No other manufacturer has one yet, either, and probably no time soon. Rivian might be your argument to that, but good luck trying to get one of those, too. They also just totally X'd their entry-level Explorer trim.

Be mad, just don't be mad at the company that is actually MAKING electric trucks.

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I can see the aggravation and bitterness if you've not received an invite to order, or your model is not now available, or your dealer is not honoring the 'old' price if you got pushed to 2023, but....
it's true that no one was promised a price, since Ford cannot promise future prices - they advertise a $39,994 model to get everyone's attention, like every manufacturer does, but there's never 'only' that model to choose from, and rarely 'only' that model that is built. It's the 'base' price model, few people actually ever buy those. Ford didn't think that folks would gravity so much toward this one, either. They actually thought it would mostly only appeal to 'pros', such as Fleet buyers.

Having said that, it doesn't temper the bitterness if you thought that because you reserved at the first second of last May's reveal you'd get an invite to order at 2022 prices, of course not knowing that prices for 2023 would be going higher, and ANYTIME in the future. Practically speaking, that doesn't make financial sense for ANY company, business, or car/truck manufacturer, but it DOES feel as though you've been wronged - none-the-less.

If Ford had simply cut the reservations at 20,000... most of us wouldn't even be on these forums complaining - we'd not even HAVE a reservation yet to complain about. Because Ford allowed reservations to extend beyond 200,000, it has created this feeling from 180,000 future hopefuls.

I get that people are miffed. Ford is doing the best they can, no doubt, but it certainly might not feel that way. If Ford had not taken this chance, this risk, NONE of us would have one of these amazing vehicles. No other manufacturer has one yet, either, and probably no time soon. Rivian might be your argument to that, but good luck trying to get one of those, too. They also just totally X'd their entry-level Explorer trim.

Be mad, just don't be mad at the company that is actually MAKING electric trucks.

But the fact on the EV truck is to save on fuel prices and maintenance. It does not make financial sense to buy it when it almost exactly the same as an ICE F150, but is almost 50% more expensive.
For EV vehicles to become mainstream and be the only vehicle sold, the price will have to come down a lot. Once those prices come down, the value of this truck will tank so you couldn't even make the argument that it will hold its value unless you only plan to keep it for a few years.

And FYI, I reserved within the first 20 mins of the presentation starting - still didn't get one. IMO, all of the domestic vehicles are a little overpriced for what you get as features - imports will get a lot more features/quality for the same price.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Ford has apparently pulled a "Rivian" move on our Canadian friends....except Ford is not back-tracking. Ford will undoubtedly still sell every Lightning they make, even though I think Ford is underestimating potential future consequences of disparate (in my view unfair) treatment of Canadians. Time will tell.
Sponsored