• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
"Countless examples"???

Nobody here has left me with the impression that they believe "Ford can do no wrong". Is THAT what you are worried about?

And "if you can save just one person......"

You must realize that we are just here on a forum discussing a truck that runs on a battery, right?
Yeah, I provided plenty of examples.

I didn’t say I was worried about people thinking that.

and yes. I am well aware of that. We have been discussing people giving up on their lightning order and others seemed to have a problem when I mentioned this was a good move, given Ford’s reliability with EVs and software issues thus far. It doesn’t help when you come swinging in with comments about my personal choice of powertrain (off topic). Just sayin.
Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I want to see how well Tesla fixes this one
The vehicle is (or was) repairable but the cost was high haha. This was really entertaining tho. That shock wave caught on camera especially.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting how a thread about Ford’s approach in final pricing and feature packaging for the Lightning has morphed onto a Mach-E vs Tesla cage match. ?

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Considering the crazy expensive XLT ER as well as the dealer prioritization mess which resulted in me getting bumped until 2023 most likely per my dealer (despite a very early reservation on day 1), I think I'm likely not going to go very my reservation to an order.

I'm not canceling just in case I change my mind.

I should be able to get a Rivian I'm 2023, and given how much I despise the dealer model right now, that's likely what I will end up buying.

I do enjoy the Mach e quite a bit and have no doubt the Lightning will be a solid truck. I'm sure those that buy it will be happy.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Real world owners say otherwise ?

Be prepared to hear your dealers say that a lot with your Mach-e or Lightning: “I can’t fix that” or “this is normal”.
The car was not unfixable and went to another dealer later on. However,
What a silly video. Even the kid in the back seat is bored with their rant.

@Platinum Peasant is your axe sharp enough yet? Maybe you should be thanking all of the early adopters who will help Ford iron out the millions of issues that the Lightning is going to have. They're all sacrificial lambs, LOL.
They have purchased another Tesla to go with their Model 3 And are selling the MME. My impression is that they will flip EVs for the channel’s content as new models come out.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The car was not unfixable and went to another dealer later on. However,

They have purchased another Tesla to go with their Model 3 And are selling the MME. My impression is that they will flip EVs for the channel’s content as new models come out.
I did notice that they had a Tesla again. I’m not sure if they still have the MME, as they do have a recent video of MME problems from 2 months ago. Whether they sold it idk.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I did notice that they had a Tesla again. I’m not sure if they still have the MME, as they do have a recent video of MME problems from 2 months ago. Whether they sold it idk.
Shannon said that they were selling it in her Dec 21 YouTube video.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
One “predicted” reliability article by CR is all you got bro. I’ve provided countless examples at this point, your claim has been debunked. Looks like someone is mad and in denial, especially since mach-e owners are questioning the upcoming lightning reliability too. (See video again).

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. Enjoy your fantasy ?
As a multi-Tesla owner, and current and former owner of many Fords, and decidedly not an EaglesPDX fan, I'll weigh in that Ford most definitely makes more reliable products than Tesla, and I'm fairly confident that the Lightning will be far better sorted than most Teslas, certainly with higher build quality. However, EaglesPDX's Tesla-bashing and Mach-E defense is fanbiosim to the extreme. He is simply a pit bull clamped onto an idea and insists he's gonna win. Let him go.

The Mach E has decent build quality. And it has documented issues. Fewer than Tesla, but it does have some. And Ford is late with blue cruise software, has OTA issues, and the fact that it craps out DC fast charging at 80% is inexcusable - makes the Mach E difficult/slow to use for road trips. And no matter what Eagles says, the DC fast charge experience with any non-Tesla product is still hit-or miss, being reported and doubled down every day. But the reliability differential is a real thing. My MX is going in this week for its FIFTH set of front half shafts - a basic design flaw. 2018 Raven with 36k miles. I would not own a Tesla out of warranty. A Ford, yes.

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Guys I'm leaning towards the dark side... getting pretty comfortable with the idea of a Powerboost. $55-60k for a very well equipped truck. Can't afford the $74k minimum extended battery and I'm just too nervous about the 230mi (ideal conditions) standard battery.

I'm gonna keep a very close eye on the lightning though, and I'm not giving up my reservation just yet.

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Guys I'm leaning towards the dark side... getting pretty comfortable with the idea of a Powerboost. $55-60k for a very well equipped truck. Can't afford the $74k minimum extended battery and I'm just too nervous about the 230mi (ideal conditions) standard battery.

I'm gonna keep a very close eye on the lightning though, and I'm not giving up my reservation just yet.
I'd be more inclined to go for the powerboost if it was more of a PHEV than mostly an electrified ICE. From what I have heard you don't get as much of an MPG benefit beyond start and stop in cities.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
As a multi-Tesla owner, and current and former owner of many Fords, and decidedly not an EaglesPDX fan, I'll weigh in that Ford most definitely makes more reliable products than Tesla, and I'm fairly confident that the Lightning will be far better sorted than most Teslas, certainly with higher build quality. However, EaglesPDX's Tesla-bashing and Mach-E defense is fanbiosim to the extreme. He is simply a pit bull clamped onto an idea and insists he's gonna win. Let him go.

The Mach E has decent build quality. And it has documented issues. Fewer than Tesla, but it does have some. And Ford is late with blue cruise software, has OTA issues, and the fact that it craps out DC fast charging at 80% is inexcusable - makes the Mach E difficult/slow to use for road trips. And no matter what Eagles says, the DC fast charge experience with any non-Tesla product is still hit-or miss, being reported and doubled down every day. But the reliability differential is a real thing. My MX is going in this week for its FIFTH set of front half shafts - a basic design flaw. 2018 Raven with 36k miles. I would not own a Tesla out of warranty. A Ford, yes.
Ford has a software fix for the 80% cliff. I haven’t received it yet, but reports are favorable.
The only DCFC faults I’ve encountered were charge station problems, not related to the car. Would have been a problem for any CCS vehicle and probably a Tesla, too. I never been unable to charge but had to call the help line for the charge station twice. Not nearly as good an experience as the Supercharger Network, for sure. Certainly an advantage when the car and the charge station are the same brand!

ETA: There have been a handful of Mach-Es with half-shaft failures. I hope it doesn’t turn into what you describe on your Tesla!

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

The reported mpg on the Powerboost has been turning me off. Too many people just not getting much (if any) better results than my 2016 XLT with a 2.7L (about 15mpg real world). Plus we want to go full electric! The fuel savings offsets the higher upfront cost.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.