• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frozen Retrax Tonneau

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Merry Christmas!

So I’ve had my RetraxXR with the side rails for about 3 weeks now. I’m in southern Maine and we are at about 10 degrees. Lightning is in the garage plugged in. I went out to show my father in law the cover and it’s frozen. The truck is in the garage and it’s frozen. I open the port push the button and it won’t even lift. Quite embarrassing. I was torn between retrax and paragon due to winter weather up here. At this point I am not a fan of the retrax and wish I went paragon. Does anyone else have issues with cold weather retractable covers?

Any tips on a frozen tonneau cover? If these are all weather this shouldn’t happen. I’m fairly easy going but when I have to crawl in the bed at 5 degrees to retrieve stuff it’s not ok. I’m close to returning the retrax. I haven’t seen any other negative review about a frozen cover so maybe I’m one of the few. Any help or tips would be helpful.

thank you all!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Given the thermal mass I would think both of equal(of course depends on the true volume). The paragon folds in a couple separate areas to collapse. I would think mechanically you have some movement with 3 joints. Compared to a solid rolling cylinder. You can overcome some issues with brute force with a multiple joint cover compared to a solid rolling cover. I’m no means an expert on grease chemistry but I can hold my own on the sciences.

just curious what’s your physics background?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I have had things freeze in the last week that never froze before. Temps have been ridiculously cold.

I opted for a soft tri-fold this time around because my OEM hard tri-fold used to freeze to the top of the tail gate occasionally. I used some silicone spray on the tailgate top which helped and it may help you if you spray the rails and your moving parts.

You say the cover froze when garaged. I do not know if you were out driving around when there was precipitation and then parked in the garage, but that could have done it in these temps.

If you are in the garage, I would use a hairdryer to get the cover unfrozen. You should be able to tell the area where the cover is frozen if you have a helper.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have mine out of the garage in fun sun today, that should melt all the ice I accumulated from the Friday rain storm which turned into an ice-over which has my cover frozen solid, Southern New England will be in the low 30's by 1400 hours, should warm up in Maine later this week around Thursday!!!!!

OP
OP

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Let it outside still locked up. The key rotated freely but the button wouldn’t release. Drove around. Came back home and retracted easily. Maybe a weird catch? It’s been fine before and after that incident.

we got hit hard by that storm last week so I had to crawl all the way in the bed to get gas cans (waiting on new transfer switch).
Sponsored