• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has Anyone Encountered Runaway Throttle?

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
This is something I've noticed a few times, it's concerning, and I'm trying to hash out what's actually happening.

After reversing at slow speed (from a parking spot for example) and then shifting into drive, I've felt what appeared to be uncommanded throttle response.

I was in one pedal drive. No automation features were on. It only has happened when selecting drive immediately after reverse at slow speeds.

This morning, after backing out, slowing to a near stop, and selecting drive, it felt like the truck had a significant/disproportionate throttle input that forced me to switch to the brake to control. Even after my foot came off the throttle, I did not feel immediate regen as I would typically expext. The best way I can describe it is it felt like 'lag' like maybe I had throttle in, the truck then starts to accelerate hard, I come off the throttle and it still wants to go as if the truck hadn't caught up yet that my foot was off.

I'm going to try and test this out a bit. I usually back into spots so I haven't seen it much, but easily 3 or 4 times now and each one is startling. Has anyone else had this or knows why this could be happening? I know reverse and drive have different throttle responses but it feels like the truck is really trying to go and the only way to stop is with brake.
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
The truck seems to "jump" a little when I am in one pedal accelerating slowly. That is why I turn it off when entering my garage so I don't hit the wall. Seems like there is no slow feathering for starts when one pedal is activated which I assume should be expected.

May want to also check to see if your auto hold is active in your settings.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
The truck seems to "jump" a little when I am in one pedal accelerating slowly. That is why I turn it off when entering my garage so I don't hit the wall. Seems like there is no slow feathering for starts when one pedal is activated which I assume should be expected.

One of the several reasons I like Sport mode almost exclusively. I feel it does better in those 'fine control' situations, like inching forward in a garage.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
I have never experienced this condition (in 1 pedal or standard drive)

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This is something I've noticed a few times, it's concerning, and I'm trying to hash out what's actually happening.

After reversing at slow speed (from a parking spot for example) and then shifting into drive, I've felt what appeared to be uncommanded throttle response.

I was in one pedal drive. No automation features were on. It only has happened when selecting drive immediately after reverse at slow speeds.

This morning, after backing out, slowing to a near stop, and selecting drive, it felt like the truck had a significant/disproportionate throttle input that forced me to switch to the brake to control. Even after my foot came off the throttle, I did not feel immediate regen as I would typically expext. The best way I can describe it is it felt like 'lag' like maybe I had throttle in, the truck then starts to accelerate hard, I come off the throttle and it still wants to go as if the truck hadn't caught up yet that my foot was off.

I'm going to try and test this out a bit. I usually back into spots so I haven't seen it much, but easily 3 or 4 times now and each one is startling. Has anyone else had this or knows why this could be happening? I know reverse and drive have different throttle responses but it feels like the truck is really trying to go and the only way to stop is with brake.
Hi there! I can look into your Lightning's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver

That’s not expected. You might want to get that checked out. I only use 1-pedal and it definitely can slow-crawl with no problems. I pull into my garage (with two inches to spare on either end) multiple times a day and never felt it lurch or jump.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
This happened to me in high school and turned out to be the floormat pressed up against the gas pedal . 86 IROC was never faster than that day! :)

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This happened to me in high school and turned out to be the floormat pressed up against the gas pedal . 86 IROC was never faster than that day! :)
I actually considered this, but I have the Ford rubber mats that clip in and it was nowhere close.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning

When you shift between Drive and Reverse you have to pass through Neutral. Any residual speed you carry while in Neutral will continue (Newton's first law). The same thing would happen in an ICE vehicle except you use the brake to control creep while maneuvering slowly so while you are in Neutral the brake is being applied.

The issue isn't what is happening when you shift between Drive and Reverse, the truck is doing exactly what you have told it to do. The issue is that your expectation of what the truck should do - learned through years of driving torque converter automatic transmission vehicles - differs from what you have instructed the truck to do.

I have experienced this phenomenon and make an effort to come to a near stop before shifting and shift quickly. It's not wrong, it's just different.

Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I’ve noticed in parking lots that the way I turn sharp with the palm of my hand on the side of the steering wheel, my palm will hit the cruise control button and set the cruise at 15mph. This makes the truck lunge forward until I stab the brakes. Its definitely my faughr for the way I put my palm on the wheel but it is also scary to have that unintended acceleration in a parking lot.

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve noticed in parking lots that the way I turn sharp with the palm of my hand on the side of the steering wheel, my palm will hit the cruise control button and set the cruise at 15mph. This makes the truck lunge forward until I stab the brakes. Its definitely my faughr for the way I put my palm on the wheel but it is also scary to have that unintended acceleration in a parking lot.
I hadn't considered this could be happening. I don't remember seeing cruise control enabled but as a force of habit anytime something goes weird I disconnect everything. I also turn the wheel with my palm. My last truck didn't have a wheel with so many buttons. I'll keep on eye doing this going forward!

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
One of the several reasons I like Sport mode almost exclusively. I feel it does better in those 'fine control' situations, like inching forward in a garage.

My experience with Sport Mode is the opposite. I love the response of Sport Mode but it's much less smooth upon wanting to feather a takeoff. I was going to leave it in Sport but I now just leave it in Mormal mode.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I had the inadvertent push of the cruise control happen to me for the second time yesterday. Felt the truck trying to accelerate when my foot was not on the accelerator (I don't use 1-pedal). Thankfully the setting was only for 25 MPH and my initial reaction is to hit the brake which stops things. But it did take me a few seconds to figure out what was going on and to realize that the cruise icon was on in the display.
Not sure what can be done about this. But it seems to be happening to enough people that someone should look into it.

OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the inadvertent push of the cruise control happen to me for the second time yesterday. Felt the truck trying to accelerate when my foot was not on the accelerator (I don't use 1-pedal). Thankfully the setting was only for 25 MPH and my initial reaction is to hit the brake which stops things. But it did take me a few seconds to figure out what was going on and to realize that the cruise icon was on in the display.
Not sure what can be done about this. But it seems to be happening to enough people that someone should look into it.
My previous truck, a new gen Ranger, would not engage cruise control below 20mph or so. The Lightnings defaults to a minimum of 15 and allows it to be selected below that which seems kinda weird to me for stuff exactly like this. IMHO, if the lowest speed is 15mph it shouldn't activate until you're already at 15mph.
Sponsored