• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How easy would it be to steal a Lightning?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ford needs to implement a pin feature to be able to drive the vehicle. This would counter anyone attempting to spoof/repeat the signal from the key fob which seems to be one of the most common ways that Tesla vehicles were being stolen.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford needs to implement a pin feature to be able to drive the vehicle. This would counter anyone attempting to spoof/repeat the signal from the key fob which seems to be one of the most common ways that Tesla vehicles were being stolen.
In the Mach-e, that is tied to the phone-as-a-key function so I suspect it will come with that.

That said, I was never able to find a pin/password that our Mach-e considered "strong" enough to use (went up to 20 characters, capital, lowercase, numbers, and symbols). No idea what the criteria are and I gave up.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
When I am in my house, I was close enough to my garage that anyone could've walked in and driven away my Tesla. I didn't realize this at first and for about 3 months, I had the easiest car to steal on earth. Now that I have the PIN requirement, it would be much more challenging. I highly recommend anyone using PAAK use a PIN, if the option is available.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Kite. String. Key. +/- Bottle.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
In the Mach-e, that is tied to the phone-as-a-key function so I suspect it will come with that.
Seeing that pro and XLT don't get paak, they need to just implement it on the screen in the vehicle. It would be much simpler for all users.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Seeing that pro and XLT don't get paak, they need to just implement it on the screen in the vehicle. It would be much simpler for all users.
I still follow the convertible rule.

Leave it unlocked. Heck put the key in the center cup holder. Any car thief that’s not a 1st timer will be too suspicious to steal it.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
It's fairly easy ask the stealerships adding ADM to Lightnings that just shipped. You can steal a Lightning with a couple strikes of a keyboard....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It's fairly easy ask the stealerships adding ADM to Lightnings that just shipped. You can steal a Lightning with a couple strikes of a keyboard....
Also heard of a dealer telling Ford the orderer cancelled their order (so the dealer can resell it) without the orderer even knowing.

OnTheGround

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe, Honda Accord
Agree with these points... except handling a HV battery has a high probability of getting yourself dead if you don't know what you are doing, and it weighs roughly 1500 lbs.
You clearly didn’t understand my comment then, which I’ll grant might not have been written out as clearly as I could have done.

*I’m not suggesting that thieves will crawl under your truck with a hacksaw and cut the battery out. I mean, I’m sure at some point some idiot will try it but it won’t end well. We’re discussing stealing vehicles here, and it was already said that stealing a Lightning wouldn’t be much more difficult than stealing a gas-powered F-150. My response was that for the time being there’d be less reason to steal a Lightning than an ICE F-150 because it’s too much work for a chop shop to profit from at this point in time, but ten+ years from now that will probably change as EVs become more common and profiting off of them becomes easier.

*There’s a reason I gave it at least ten years before it becomes a problem. EVs need to become far more common before thieves start becoming interested in developing the tools and methods necessary to part them out and profit from them. It will, inevitably, happen though. Unless we suddenly halt all development on EVs pretty much immediately and pivot towards something else.

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I'd say if you pay sticker plus 0% financing for 72 months you Stole it!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
The catalytic converter is definitely safe.

kenfaber62

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford f150 STX
Occupation
retired
I'm planning this to me my first Mod. It should boost e-mpg by a mile or two and make it sound better too. I figure I can install it with velcro and it should look nice next to my "Alternative Fuel" license plate. Fog Machine will be next.
Sponsored

Attachments